Gun Control

Roark

You know what is never discussed? It baffles me because it seems so simple. (I didn't read this whole thread. Maybe someone did mention this.)

Making ammunition extremely difficult to buy is doable. There are WAY too many guns to actually rid the landscape of the weapons themselves, but you suddenly make the bullets sparse as sin? Those guns become about as valuable as a brick. Maybe less.

You know what is never discussed? It baffles me because it seems so simple. (I didn't read this whole thread. Maybe someone did mention this.)

Making ammunition extremely difficult to buy is doable. There are WAY too many guns to actually rid the landscape of the weapons themselves, but you suddenly make the bullets sparse as sin? Those guns become about as valuable as a brick. Maybe less.

This is the best option in my opinion.

3:20

What age limit? Seems like all the nutbars that kill people are under 25. Should we not impose an age limit as well?

We already have age limits. 18 or 21 depending on the state. I'm fine with 18, as that is the age at which you must register with selective service, and can join the military.

Doable? Probably. Easily doable? Not at all. I'd wager that most Americans, while wanting some kind of "sensible" gun control measures (aka the feel-good ones than ban "scary looking weapons" but do nothing to curb atrocities like the one in Sandy Hook), but would see laws to prevent ammunition sales as a move to effectively disarm the population. The gun lobby would be all over any legislature that tried to do so and such legislation, if passed, would likely get repealed or expire ala the AWB of 1994.

Many forums that I read in here make me want to bash my head against the wall and this one is not much different. I consider myself a people watcher and try so so hard no to jump to conclusions when I first see something. Sometimes I am better than this than other times. We are doing ourselves a disservice if we believe this all comes down to one factor.

Our Society

• We are turning ourselves into a society of haves and have nots. I watch people sell there souls for a few $'s on these garbage realty shows over and over again.
  • People don't seem to want to work for anything. You need to have it now or it isn't fair.
  • Personal accountability seems to be lacking. Everything is someone elses fault.
  • Why are all these shooters, except the aurora guy, 'The boy next store'? How does no one know these kids are F'd up? Where are their parents?

Violence in Movies\TV\Video Games

• I got a Nintendo for Christmas when I was in first grade. I sucked at Mario Bros then and never really got into gaming. Duke Nukem came out when I was in College. As I watch commericials for games that glorify stealing cars and killing people I can't help but wonder what is the effect of this.
  • I remember watching Natural Born Killers when I was in my early 20's. I could never figure out why we would pay to watch such garbage.

Gun Control

• It's time for a serious (cross the aisle) debate.
  • I don't own a gun. I've only shot two in my life. I don't hunt. I generally side pro gun. Someone is going to have to explain to me why you need a clip/magazine that holds 10+ seconds of fire power.
  • I also think it is time to evaluate weapons one a time if needed and establish their relevance in our society. I believe that citizens should be allowed to arm themselves, but to what level needs to be understood.

Ultimately, we need to understand that we can't put a cop and/or security system at each school or public place. I am sure there are countries in this world that have looser gun control laws that don't have this senseless violence. We have multiple things going on here and we need to try to understand all of them.

Many forums that I read in here make me want to bash my head against the wall and this one is not much different. I consider myself a people watcher and try so so hard no to jump to conclusions when I first see something. Sometimes I am better than this than other times. We are doing ourselves a disservice if we believe this all comes down to one factor.

Our Society

• We are turning ourselves into a society of haves and have nots. I watch people sell there souls for a few $'s on these garbage realty shows over and over again.
  • People don't seem to want to work for anything. You need to have it now or it isn't fair.
  • Personal accountability seems to be lacking. Everything is someone elses fault.
  • Why are all these shooters, except the aurora guy, 'The boy next store'? How does no one know these kids are F'd up? Where are their parents?

• I got a Nintendo for Christmas when I was in first grade. I sucked at Mario Bros then and never really got into gaming. Duke Nukem came out when I was in College. As I watch commericials for games that glorify stealing cars and killing people I can't help but wonder what is the effect of this.
  • I remember watching Natural Born Killers when I was in my early 20's. I could never figure out why we would pay to watch such garbage.

Gun Control

• It's time for a serious (cross the aisle) debate.
  • I don't own a gun. I've only shot two in my life. I don't hunt. I generally side pro gun. Someone is going to have to explain to me why you need a clip/magazine that holds 10+ seconds of fire power.
  • I also think it is time to evaluate weapons one a time if needed and establish their relevance in our society. I believe that citizens should be allowed to arm themselves, but to what level needs to be understood.

Ultimately, we need to understand that we can't put a cop and/or security system at each school or public place. I am sure there are countries in this world that have looser gun control laws that don't have this senseless violence. We have multiple things going on here and we need to try to understand all of them.

I think it's for guys like me that can't hit sh#t. My brother had an SKS for coyote hunting and had a 30 round clip for it. I used a 25 round clip on my .22 for raccoon hunting. I've never hunted since high school but I'm guessing there are other species out there where dudes prefer more ammo. For me it was because I needed that many shots as most wound up in the dirt.

I wonder how much of an impact there is from video games and music myself. I was about 12 years old when the grunge scene started getting popular. We went from the arena rock era where most of the mainstream stuff was all about having a good time, partying and women to depressing sh#t. And also had a bunch of gangster rap at the same time. When I was young, that music changed my mood big time and I drove around always wanting to get into a fight. I think it's a small piece, but I think it along with many other things(video games, TV, news, internet) contributes to stuff like this. I think worthless parents is probably the biggest issue. Based on what's come out so far about this guy, I'd say his parents were part of the problem along with him having social anxiety disorder among other problems. I'm sure more information will start to come out in the next week. Maybe it's just me getting older, but it seems like all the young people are spoiled punks that think the world owes them something. Of course, that's probably the same thing that was said about me and my friends too.

To me, step #1 is to never give out the name of the killer again and stop making this sh#t a media circus. I have no idea what to do beyond that, but at the very least you could allow teachers to have pepper spray or something in their classrooms. It's not much, but better than nothing. Gun legislation even if successful(and i don't see how to make it a success) is going to take a bunch of time. How may other incidents are going to happen while the politicians bicker back and forth and accomplish squat like they usually do?

Total ban on semi-automatics (zero need for these, ever, for any reason)

Stricter rules/penalties regarding unregistered and illegal guns

But for f#*k's sake, if you have a handgun or a hunting rifle or what have you, that's one of the basic rights of living in our nation. Guns do not cause these incidents, troubled people do. Better education, mental health awareness, community outreach, and firearm education is the better solution. Treat the disease, not the symptoms.

But for f#*k's sake, if you have a handgun or a hunting rifle or what have you, that's one of the basic rights of living in our nation. Guns do not cause these incidents, troubled people do. Better education, mental health awareness, community outreach, and firearm education is the better solution. Treat the disease, not the symptoms.

Can't argue with that.

So The Feds are going to confiscate all 38 million semi-automatic firearms currently in the US? I'd be surprised if most Americans willingly hand over their weapons. I assume you'll be ready to fund the building of many new prisons, as the ones we currently have are already near capacity with non-violent offenders.

This music and video game crap is tiresome. They've been around long enough that if they have some effect on people then half the nation would be crazed serial killers/thieves/assassins/plumbers. Music epitomizes life, it's more an account of one's culture and surroundings than a call to that type of life. Although it can be used for that. People bring these these two issues up but yet they worship 2000+ year old texts that give accounts of war, mass murder, and other violence at time glorifying it in the name of their god.

So The Feds are going to confiscate all 38 million semi-automatic firearms currently in the US? I'd be surprised if most Americans willingly hand over their weapons. I assume you'll be ready to fund the building of many new prisons, as the ones we currently have are already near capacity with non-violent offenders.

I volunteer Roark to ring the doorbell and request that people give up their guns. If he isn't available, then I elect that Hedley guy.

This music and video game crap is tiresome. They've been around long enough that if they have some effect on people then half the nation would be crazed serial killers/thieves/assassins/plumbers. Music epitomizes life, it's more an account of one's culture and surroundings than a call to that type of life. Although it can be used for that. People bring these these two issues up but yet they worship 2000+ year old texts that give accounts of war, mass murder, and other violence at time glorifying it in the name of their god.

Plumbers?

Might as well correlate owning a TV to things too. Violent crime has declined as 'violent' games and movies have grown.

'Violent' games track from the 90's. And violent crime has decreased every single year since 1992

http://www.ucrdatatool.gov/Search/Crime/State/RunCrimeTrendsInOneVar.cfm

Just because you don't 'get it' don't presume to speak for the tens of millions in this country alone.