"A right vs. a priviledge"

DC residents Voting

Blacks voting

Women voting

Voting at age 18

Operation a Church or religious organization

Selling booze

Citizenship

All of the above are protected in the constitution, yet all require some form of registration.

Can anyone tell me the date the RI law passed. Also, what are the new requirements to turn stuff in in the Conn law?

LINK

I tried that link (and a similar search before I made my post) and I can't find any gun control law that has passed in RI since Newtown.

Did you find any requirement in the Conn Gun law to turn stuff in? I read about this here but haven't found it to actually exist in reality.

Are you trying to say that America has not outlawed guns in the past and violence has ceased?

What?

The media attention is what is driving this debate in the first place.

No . . . it's the mass shootings and America's obsession with a good spectacle that drives the media coverage. Public attention then forces the issue.

But if you take away the guns that Holmes used and he grabbed a common 12 gauge or deer rifle instead, he still would have killed people with them.

. . . but it's tough to argue that his lethality would be equal.

I agree. But 1 would be enough right?

I feel that law abiding citizens get their rights taken from them because someone else abuses those rights.

How would you write legislation that ONLY targets criminals and has no effect on "law abiding citizens." Your argument doesn't make much sense if this is impossible.

And this argument is used for a lot of things. Take the Super Sized drinks in NY for example. That Mayor thinks they have to rid the city of these for health reasons and the other side of the argument says that their right is being infringed because of this.

You should rethink this if your response is that other people, including Michael Bloomberg, also say what you're saying.

How does the argument not make sense? If I have specific gun and use it for recreational shooting legally at a range and some idiot has the same gun and uses it to light up a school and then Congress comes down and decides that that style of gun is now outlawed. How did it not infringe on my right to own the gun any longer? I wasn't doing anything wrong with it. But yet the government knows whats best for me, right?

Wrong. Even in Conn, where their new gun law make it illegal to sell high-cap magazines and assault weapons, you can still keep what you already have.

How are your rights being infringed upon again?

So Connecticut is one out of 50 states. Can you guarantee every state can or will do the same thing? Or even the federal govt?

"A right vs. a priviledge"

DC residents Voting

Blacks voting

Women voting

Voting at age 18

Operation a Church or religious organization

Selling booze

Citizenship

All of the above are protected in the constitution, yet all require some form of registration.

And YES, I fill out the proper forms, and pay all the FED and STATE, COUNTY and CITY fees(taxes) on said purchase. Complete a BACKGROUND CHECK FORM and then wait 10 days to pick up my purchase.

BUT in most states you don't have to show any form of ID to vote. Some "red" states excluded :)

There is still a difference between a right and a priviledge.

Wouldn't this be the case for all legislation?

If you agree with my premise . . . presumably yes.

This makes me wonder even more about why you chose to raise the issue. It's possible that the simplest answer is correct . . .

Why not? It was a different angle of the discussion.

And apparently one that you acknowledge is irrelevant.

Are you trying to say that America has not outlawed guns in the past and violence has ceased?

What?

The media attention is what is driving this debate in the first place.

No . . . it's the mass shootings and America's obsession with a good spectacle that drives the media coverage. Public attention then forces the issue.

But if you take away the guns that Holmes used and he grabbed a common 12 gauge or deer rifle instead, he still would have killed people with them.

. . . but it's tough to argue that his lethality would be equal.

I agree. But 1 would be enough right?

Better 1 than 26, right?

To purchase a gun, you have to get a background check, which is something I think that needs to occur. Figure out the other stuff after that, just get the background checks taken care of first.

But once thats in place, how about doing something about the people that are purportrating the crimes with the guns?

To purchase a gun, you have to get a background check, which is something I think that needs to occur. Figure out the other stuff after that, just get the background checks taken care of first.

But once thats in place, how about doing something about the people that are purportrating the crimes with the guns?

Talk to your congressman and ask them to stop de-balling the ATF at the whims of the NRA.

Talk to your congressman and ask them to stop de-balling the ATF at the whims of the NRA.

I think they've got bigger problems in relation to that, such as cutting funding to Police Dept's...

I think they've got bigger problems in relation to that, such as cutting funding to Police Dept's...

That's another problem, I definitely wouldn't call it bigger.

That's another problem, I definitely wouldn't call it bigger.

In the higher crime rate area's (Newark, Paterson, Jersey City, Elizabeth, etc) then it's neck and neck. They just don't have the manpower to deal with all the sh*t thats going down in their towns...