Gun Control

Roark

US boy, 5, accidentally shoots and kills sister, 2

A five-year-old boy who was playing with a .22 caliber rifle he'd been given as a gift accidentally shot and killed his little sister in their Kentucky home, officials said.

The shooting happened Tuesday in rural Cumberland county and the two-year-old girl was rushed to a hospital where she was pronounced dead, the state police said.

Cumberland County Coroner Gary White identified the girl as Caroline Starks and said the children's mother was cleaning the house at the time and had stepped outside onto the porch.

"She said no more than three minutes had went by and she actually heard the rifle go off. She ran back in and found the little girl," White told WKYT news.

The rifle had been given to the boy last year and was kept in the corner of a room. The parents didn't realize a shell had been left in it.

How would the proposed bill prevent this?

i do not think the proposed bill would have, but i do think this demonstrates a need for different gun regulations and that there is a flaw in our gun culture. that gun was treated like a toy. clearly the parents were not responsible enough to own it or gift it. although incredibly tragic that they lost a child (and surely the other child will be hunted by this for the rest of his life), they should be charged with manslaughter. or at least held accountable for their gross negligence.

should parents be allowed to give their child a hunting gun? absolutely. should there also be classes, licensing to own a gun, and gun locks required? i think so.

i do not think the proposed bill would have, but i do think this demonstrates a need for different gun regulations and that there is a flaw in our gun culture. that gun was treated like a toy. clearly the parents were not responsible enough to own it or gift it. although incredibly tragic that they lost a child (and surely the other child will be hunted by this for the rest of his life), they should be charged with manslaughter. or at least held accountable for their gross negligence.

should parents be allowed to give their child a hunting gun? absolutely. should there also be classes, licensing to own a gun, and gun locks required? i think so.

Red part = What regulations would you propose to prevent this?

Blue part = I agree with this. But, how do you regulate that change?

Someone who is a little more in touch with gun culture please enlighten me. Is a five year old receiving a .22 caliber rifle as a gift normal? Seems bat sh*t crazy to me.

Hmmm...I wouldn't give my 5 year old kid a .22 but I wouldn't call it absolutely nuts either. I have no problem with a 5 year old shooting a .22 but it needs to be under complete control and supervision of an adult who knows how to handle a gun safely. I'm sure my son shot a .22 at that age. But, he would have never been allowed to handle it completely by himself.

Someone who is a little more in touch with gun culture please enlighten me. Is a five year old receiving a .22 caliber rifle as a gift normal? Seems bat sh*t crazy to me.

I would say giving the kid the gun as a gift isn't crazy. Probably inappropriate for the child's age. Giving the child ammunition and/or loaded gun in an unsafe use environment is definitely bat sh*t crazy.

Red part = What regulations would you propose to prevent this?

Blue part = I agree with this. But, how do you regulate that change?

with the blue part, i do not know how to change that. i think there is a minority of gun owners who are ruining it for everyone.

red part, i think a person needs to take a gun responsibility class before they purchase a gun, get licensed to own guns, and then have to buy liability insurance specifically for their guns. but i am sure better minds then mine will find flaws with these proposals. so basically, i really do not know.

Giving a 5 year old unattended access to any firearm is not normal and is almost certainly bat sh*t crazy.

I started learning how to shoot with a BB (and later a pellet) gun at about that age but only under direct and careful supervision. I was in the third grade when I was allowed to start carrying a real gun (again under direct supervision) while hunting.

I don't think the gun as a gift is the issue that many of us don't understand.

Instead, I don't understand why a .22 would be stored in a place in a manner that a 5 yr old could easily gain access to it.

My asprin bottle comes with a child proof cap. Of course, taking an asprin for my a headache is a a privilege not a right. Unfortunately, the rights of the 5 yr old to have this gun didn't work out so well when they collided with the rights to the 2 year old to be alive.

Historically it makes sense, but damn that wasn't thought out very well. Our country was build on the belief that a strong central government was a bad thing, and should be prevented, maybe a better phrase would be all powerful. Either way, the right to bear arms is the second amendment for a reason, just like freedom of speech/religion is number 1 for a reason.

Don't visit Chicago, beanman.

But it's not just Chicago...

On 5/1, 17 were shot and killed in the US. On April 30th, 20. On April 29th, 20. On April 28th, 15. On April 27th, 27. Shall I continue?

In NE (population 1.8m), 14 people have been shot and killed since Newtown. In CT (pop 3.6m), 26. In NV (2.6M) 40 deaths from guns since Newtown.

http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2013/05/02/teachers-shocked-frightened-after-school-holds-unplanned-shooting-drill/

Teachers were shocked and caught off guard when an Oregon school held a school shooting drill.

The Oregonian reports Pine Eagle Charter School in Halfway held the drill last Friday as children were home for an in-service day. Two masked “gunmen” burst into a meeting room holding 15 teachers firing blanks. Teachers only realized it wasn’t a real shooting when none of them were bleeding.

“There was some commotion,” school principal Cammie DeCastro told The Oregonian.

Teachers were frightened about what happened.

This seems brilliant.