Gun Control

Roark

http://seattle.cbslo...shooting-drill/

Teachers were shocked and caught off guard when an Oregon school held a school shooting drill.

The Oregonian reports Pine Eagle Charter School in Halfway held the drill last Friday as children were home for an in-service day. Two masked “gunmen” burst into a meeting room holding 15 teachers firing blanks. Teachers only realized it wasn’t a real shooting when none of them were bleeding.

“There was some commotion,” school principal Cammie DeCastro told The Oregonian.

Teachers were frightened about what happened.

This seems brilliant.

Whoa. So long as no one dies from a heart attack.

Teachers were shocked and caught off guard when an Oregon school held a school shooting drill.

The Oregonian reports Pine Eagle Charter School in Halfway held the drill last Friday as children were home for an in-service day. Two masked “gunmen” burst into a meeting room holding 15 teachers firing blanks. Teachers only realized it wasn’t a real shooting when none of them were bleeding.

“There was some commotion,” school principal Cammie DeCastro told The Oregonian.

This seems brilliant.

Yea, or was packing their own gun and shot someone...

This has to be one of the most monumentally stupid ideas I've ever heard.

This seems brilliant.

Yea, or was packing their own gun and shot someone...

This has to be one of the most monumentally stupid ideas I've ever heard.

How do you not make the faculty aware that you're going to do this? It's a good thing none of the teachers were packing, imagine the sh*tstorm that would have created...

Historically it makes sense, but damn that wasn't thought out very well. Our country was build on the belief that a strong central government was a bad thing, and should be prevented, maybe a better phrase would be all powerful. Either way, the right to bear arms is the second amendment for a reason, just like freedom of speech/religion is number 1 for a reason.

A lot of the reason for the second amendment was the fact that the country back then (as well as many countries that influenced the creation of the amendment) had no organized army and no police/law enforcement/national guard. Self-defense of both yourself and the country was important. Sure you can make an argument for the deterrent of a strong central government, but that logic was second fiddle to other much more sensible reasons. People needed to be able to feed themselves and defend themselves, there was conflict of varying intensity with other colonizing nations and Native Americans, and the lack of well-organized law enforcement made early America a dangerous place.

Well, obviously things are a lot different now. We don't need to own guns for many of these reasons. Now I think it's perfectly acceptable to own a hunting rifle or a self-defense handgun. But the idea that we need to arm ourselves against our government is silly. Remember, that Constitution isn't some all-wise ancient document that we must not question. The Constitution is a dynamic document meant to allow us to change is based on whatever the modern sentiment on different issues is. We can make the Constitution say whatever the f#*k we want it to. If We the People decide guns are more dangerous that it's worth and elect 2/3 of our Congress as staunch anti-gun activists, guess what, bye-bye Second Amendment. I think many times people try to give our "forefathers" too much, almost biblical credence.

Actually, after getting both the House and Senate to pass an Amendment to the Constitution with a 2/3 majority vote, it can then be sent to the States for a vote for ratification with 3/4 majority. Unless I'm wrong; happened once before :D

Many of the Amendments were passed back in the olden days; so there are many Amendments that could be considered out of date.

I think giving up the 2nd Amendment and reducing restrictions on law enforcement agencies would help decrease crime and even deter mass shootings if they can use the Fed's Cray's to "listen" to the internet and other telecommunications. The FBI, DHS and State law enforcement could almost become PreCrime(Minority Report). If things are that out of control, then let the Government control everything and protect us.

Actually, after getting both the House and Senate to pass an Amendment to the Constitution with a 2/3 majority vote, it can then be sent to the States for a vote for ratification with 3/4 majority. Unless I'm wrong; happened once before :D

Many of the Amendments were passed back in the olden days; so there are many Amendments that could be considered out of date.

I think giving up the 2nd Amendment and reducing restrictions on law enforcement agencies would help decrease crime and even deter mass shootings if they can use the Fed's Cray's to "listen" to the internet and other telecommunications. The FBI, DHS and State law enforcement could almost become PreCrime(Minority Report). If things are that out of control, then let the Government control everything and protect us.

Something tells me you shouldn't have said that on this board.

Actually, after getting both the House and Senate to pass an Amendment to the Constitution with a 2/3 majority vote, it can then be sent to the States for a vote for ratification with 3/4 majority.

This is correct. My point being that if the people collectively want something, the people will collectively provide the representation and votes that make it happen.

I was being facetious about some of that. My point: where can the line be drawn?? No one is going to be happy with any new gun control legislation. Either too much or not enough.

I doubt I'll ever see a Constitutional Amendment change in my life time. Need too many stars in alignment for that to happen.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that would be 3/4 majority vote from each State Legislature.??

A marriage equality amendment is certainly possible in our lifetime. Not while the old republican generation is still in power, but in 30-40 years when my generation is running the show, totally possible.

(but that's another debate haha, don't mean to derail)

Background system is a joke and 2nd amendment too......way outdated and mostly prove manhood (male species used to be clubs and then muskets; now, it is guns).

Only two choices IMO:

1) banned all guns or .... (I think UK laws)

2) legalized all guns without background system

....nothing in between, again IMO. :dunno

A marriage equality amendment is certainly possible in our lifetime. Not while the old republican generation is still in power, but in 30-40 years when my generation is running the show, totally possible.

(but that's another debate haha, don't mean to derail)

I feel like this shouldn't require an amendment. A court case could be coming much sooner than that which establishes that this is one of many freedoms already protected by the constitution.

Shots fired from world's first 3D-printed gun

The world's first 3D-printed handgun has been successfully fired in Texas, according to its creator Defense Distributed.

All 16 parts of the controversial gun, called the Liberator, are made from a tough, heat-resistant plastic used in products such as musical instruments, kitchen appliances and vehicle bumper bars.

Fifteen of those are made with a 3D printer while one is a non-functional metal part which can be picked up by metal detectors, making it legal under U.S. law.

'I recognize that this tool might be used to harm people ... But I don’t think that’s a reason to not put it out there.'

- Defense Distributed's Cody Wilson

Shots fired from world's first 3D-printed gun

The world's first 3D-printed handgun has been successfully fired in Texas, according to its creator Defense Distributed.

All 16 parts of the controversial gun, called the Liberator, are made from a tough, heat-resistant plastic used in products such as musical instruments, kitchen appliances and vehicle bumper bars.

Fifteen of those are made with a 3D printer while one is a non-functional metal part which can be picked up by metal detectors, making it legal under U.S. law.

'I recognize that this tool might be used to harm people ... But I don’t think that’s a reason to not put it out there.'

- Defense Distributed's Cody Wilson

Uhhh . . . this might be a problem.

• Fire 1