Can we avoid all the "sky is falling" posts please?

Branno

I can take losses. At my age I have seen alot. What bothers me is the way we loose by setting yardage records everytime. To have those asshats at ESPN laugh, yes laugh at our defense or lack of on national TV is humiliating to the fans and team. I thought they played hard. Did I really think they would win? No, but at halftime I really thought we had a chance. Green is green and learning on the job is part in part what you get when you want to develope a coaching staff, but come on. I'm not saying anyone should lose their job, just study more, watch film and learn over the next few months. Embarassing.

That pretty much sums up my sentiments. I don't think that there's much of a meltdown because most people had the game written off as a loss already. The future will be interesting to see play out. I'm especially interested in seeing how we keep established programs (Alabama, etc.) from cherry-picking our better staff that we've spent time (and losses) developing while leaving the chaff behind for us to deal with.

If we lose 4 games with two blow outs like this year, he will be gone is my guess. Having no answer for why it happens and stating so is not going to help him with the new AD is my guess.

I can go along with this. Seriously. 4 losses next year, with the schedule we have, could hurt. But, if those 4 losses are again in the fashion that they were this year, it will probably be inexcuseable. 4 losses fine if theyre competitive. But like you said, if theyre blowout, defenseless fashion again, it will be suggesting that Bo does NOT have an answer for it. I still believe he does becuase I truely believe it's a lack of talent right now, and supposedly the help is coming. But next year is crucial, and if he can't at the very least adjust the scheme to make up for the slight lack of talent, then something different may need to happen.

I think he gets a pass on this year. The bowl game was a heck of a coaching job. I never thought they would play like they did. I am still not as impressed with the wins this year as some are, but the number is right for objectivity. A couple we should have lost, but I think if Sirles had not have gotten hurt we might just have won the game. I do not throw the blame on Ameer by any means. It is part of the game, and I think if it would have been reviewed it might have been overturned. We were playing to good to just throw up your hands and quit. Georgia made some corrections and Murray was having a life time game. I am sure it raised his stock, but I think he will be back next year.

I think he gets a pass on this year. The bowl game was a heck of a coaching job. I never thought they would play like they did. I am still not as impressed with the wins this year as some are, but the number is right for objectivity. A couple we should have lost, but I think if Sirles had not have gotten hurt we might just have won the game. I do not throw the blame on Ameer by any means. It is part of the game, and I think if it would have been reviewed it might have been overturned. We were playing to good to just throw up your hands and quit. Georgia made some corrections and Murray was having a life time game. I am sure it raised his stock, but I think he will be back next year.

we used to be 2-3 deep, now we are 1 or 2 players away from bad things happening..if we could just get back to better recruiting...i know its different now, but if we just could get deeper......

I think too much stock is being put into the fumble. It's not like we packed it in after that play. Our defense got a 3 and out after that turnover and got our offense and their obviously gassed defense right back on the field.

Bo, Tim Beck, Martinez, etc are saying that fumble was the turning point:

Nebraska offensive coordinator Tim Beck said the Huskers couldn’t seem to overcome the contested fumble.

“It ate at us,” Beck said. “It sat in our craw. We weren’t able to get past it.”

LINK

I have a problem with this. We knew going into this game that this ref crew wasn't predisposed toward calling the game evenly, so why would we let a call like that affect us so much?

This team has a terrible time with the emotions of the game. They flourish under duress at times (comebacks against Wiscy, Penn State, Michigan State and Northwestern), but at other times one bad thing happens (the Kenny Bell drop/INT in the CCG, or this fumble) and they just pack it in.

That's the most disheartening thing about 2012 Nebraska for me - despite a very talented offense and some real athletes on defense, they were far too emotionally fragile to overcome adversity. We got dealt a crappy hand by the Big Ten the last two years. In an effort to boost up interest in the conference, they lined us up against the best of the best, all of them, for two years straight. We were the cash cow, the National Brand that would drive eyeballs to TV sets, and they exploited that with a schedule unlike anything any other team has played these past two years. No other team in the country has had to play every single one of the top eight opponents in their conference like Nebraska. And we were equal to the challenge in talent - but emotionally, we couldn't get over the fact that we got "screwed" by the B1G, and we had several collapses in the past two seasons.

Yeah, it was a rough ride, as rough as Delaney could make it. But you gotta suck it up, take your lumps and keep going. These guys clearly didn't. They were exhausted by their run this year and they flat out folded in the Big Ten Championship game. They went toe-to-toe against Georgia, a top-five team, and had the lead late in the second half... but then this fumble happens and it becomes a hurdle too great to overcome.

We'll get back to playing championship football when we don't let things like this defeat us. When we stop losing games in our hearts before the scoreboard goes against us. We actually have the talent. We have the coaches, even if they're still wet behind the ears a little. We have everything we need to vie for a top-ten finish next year, a conference championship, a BCS bowl win, and some national awards. That's all sitting right there at the stadium, right now. The one thing we don't have is that killer instinct necessary to put it all together.

Martinez seems to be trying to get them there. His comments about the SEC shows he's clearly not afraid of the best they have to offer. We need about 20 more guys buying in to the attitude Martinez is showing and maybe we'll start going somewhere.

The two units that I think it showed "loss of heart" (which I'll never fully understand how a team can lose heart in a close game) were probably the O-line and the defense. I don't think for one second that Taylor, the WRs, Rex/Ameer ever lost heart in the game.

They're showing that they can handle adversity, moreso than they did last year. 2nd half, double-digit deficit comebacks don't happen "just because". We had a rough schedule, like you said a schedule nobody in the FBS can claim to have played, and we pulled 19 wins out of 27 games. We have it easier next season and about the only way we don't get 10 wins in the regular season is if we lose to Michigan State/Northwestern and Michigan, which I don't see happening.