We are excellent on offense 5 years with defensive minded guy and defense is our problem...

They wouldn't have to be run stoppers in the Big 12. Those schools pass the ball all around the yard. Almost every school in the Big 10 has a downhill running game regardless of their offensive style. Not saying the would be all conference but the were recruited for a different kind of football.

They wouldn't have to be run stoppers in the Big 12. Those schools pass the ball all around the yard. Almost every school in the Big 10 has a downhill running game regardless of their offensive style. Not saying the would be all conference but the were recruited for a different kind of football.

so what would they be good at there is little to no push from the interior guys im passing situations but i see what you are saying i think some of these guys might have been misses regardless of the confrence here's to hoping they all play better next year GBR

I don't think a lot of you guys are taking into account how much switching conferences has hurt the defense. We didn't need linebackers in the big 12 and we recruited a different kind of DT for that league. Bo has addressed these issues in the last two classes. I'm sure some of you here might remember the 90 team. Everybody was pretty down on the team. Osborne made some adjustments with the defense. I.e. switching to the 4-3 and recruiting more speed. 3 years later we were playing for a national title. When your winning 9 or 10 games a year you aren't far away from getting to that level again. It might be different if we were 6 - 6. Bo is a good football coach and with some patience he will get this thing turned around.

This is just another Boexcuse. If you are not fundamentally sound and can't tackle, it doesn't matter which confernce that you are in. For the record, this defnese would probably end up worse in a much superior Big 12 with all of those speed/spread offenses. This is all on Bo's "Solich" style of recruiting that put the program in the toilet in the first place. Without the emhasis of recruiting 24-7-365 days a year, Bo will never be better than he is now and will likely just get worse. He doesn't have Bill's recruits to coach up anymore.

I don't think a lot of you guys are taking into account how much switching conferences has hurt the defense. We didn't need linebackers in the big 12 and we recruited a different kind of DT for that league. Bo has addressed these issues in the last two classes. I'm sure some of you here might remember the 90 team. Everybody was pretty down on the team. Osborne made some adjustments with the defense. I.e. switching to the 4-3 and recruiting more speed. 3 years later we were playing for a national title. When your winning 9 or 10 games a year you aren't far away from getting to that level again. It might be different if we were 6 - 6. Bo is a good football coach and with some patience he will get this thing turned around.

Great post.

IIRC, we may have taken something like 5? LBs from 08 to 11 in the Big 12. We have taken four in the last two classes.

+1 I think the transition was harder than anybody thought it would be.

So the conference transition is what prevented us from winning the last two bowl games?

Conference transitions don't result in multiple touchdown beat downs in big spots. If T.O had switched conferences he still would have been playing for titles. What conference you play in should not dictate your style of play. We should be fielding top notch athletes that don't care who is lined up against them. SEC teams could win in any conference. Why should we settle? We need to open up the checkbook and take the Ferrari for a spin.

So the conference transition is what prevented us from winning the last two bowl games?

Conference transitions don't result in multiple touchdown beat downs in big spots. If T.O had switched conferences he still would have been playing for titles. What conference you play in should not dictate your style of play. We should be fielding top notch athletes that don't care who is lined up against them. SEC teams could win in any conference. Why should we settle? We need to open up the checkbook and take the Ferrari for a spin.

So the defense that you run and the players you recruit for it are no different in the BIG than the Big 12?? So you run the same defense against Mike Leach as you would Mark Dantonio. Guess again.

Pretty sure Osborne didn't have top 5 recruiting classes every year. Lots of teams win without great recruiting. Callahan was a used car salesman that lied to recruits to get them on campus. Over signed his classes and still couldn't win. Just a flat out terrible coach. A lot like Mac Brown. Great recruiter, terrible coach. Bo was able to take his talent and make winners out of them. Does Bo have it all figured out yet. NO! He doesn't. But he is a FIRST time head coach. Would Osborne be any better after year 5. I doubt it. Would you be calling for T O's head? You can put all your eggs in the recruiting basket but I hate to break it to you. We are never going to consistently compete with warm weather schools in recruiting.

The penalties on offence 3, 15 yard fouls and a few 5's in there to stop drives killed us in the second half. But the fumble after we got the first down leading by 8 and driving was the turnning point, we never got it going again on both sides of the ball. In otherwords defence is not 100 percent to blame for the loss.

It was like the OL couldn't remember the snap count after AA's fumble.

So the defense that you run and the players you recruit for it are no different in the BIG than the Big 12?? So you run the same defense against Mike Leach as you would Mark Dantonio. Guess again.

We should be recruiting players that will allow us to compete for MNC's. If that is your goal then it doesn't matter what conference you are in. You need players/scheme that allow you to beat/ compete with everyone not just you conference. This is why the SEC dominates. They understand what players/facilities/coaches/money it takes to win on the national stage, no just regional.

NU has lost the vision somewhere along the last 10 years.