"Look at them, look at us..."

Haspula

OYPTBGCYYVUHSQI.20110224194937.JPG

Does the thread title and the picture above ring a bell?

>> The most interesting interview after the game was with Corey Raymond. The secondary coach wasn’t convinced Nebraska had enough talent to beat South Carolina, especially in the secondary.

“Just be honest,” Raymond said. “Look at them, look at us. It’s pretty obvious.”

What did Raymond mean? He didn’t spell it out, but he made veiled criticisms of Nebraska’s personnel. For instance, what did he take from this game going into the offseason?

“Hopefully it helps recruiting. Get athletes.”

Was he encouraged by how NU matched up man-for-man? “Not necessarily.”

Raymond went on to compare the mentality of Southern players versus Nebraska’s players. His guys needed to learn how to punch back once they got “hit in the mouth.”

“You can’t live on what other guys have done in the past around here,” Raymond said. “You have to live on yourself…We’re not Prince. We’re not Eric Hagg. We’re not those guys. We have to do much different things. We have to work harder. We’re not the same athletes as those guys.”

Of course, Nebraska’s two best defensive athletes — Alfonzo Dennard and Lavonte David — are leaving.

source

Seems like words of our former secondary coach comes right back to us the following year. Especially on those long touchdown passes were it was pretty obvious if we had someone more faster and more athletic that touchdown/play would not have happened. Underlined in the quote is what needs to happen this off season. Get athletes.

I will agree that some of those passes would have been different stories if we had top-caliber defensive backs, but let's be honest here. There were a number of plays where Aaron Murray simply threw perfect balls against perfect coverage, and his wide receivers were good. Really, really good at making those plays today.

Did you even watch the game? People were in position, had the speed, etc. They just didnt make the plays.

Exactly, what if they were more athletic like our former DBs (prince, dennard)? Then they would of made the play and players like dennard and prince are who we should go after this off season

Part of the issue was the inability to really get consistent pressure on Murray. You let a guy with his talent sit in the pocket, coupled with the talent of their receivers and any DB's would look bad. Murray threw some great passes and his receivers also made him look great. Evans has played solid all year. IMO, DB's gave up some plays today, but still held the SEC record setting QB to 54% completion rate. It just hurts when he rips us for almost 500 yrds.

Did you even watch the game? People were in position, had the speed, etc. They just didnt make the plays.

NYZMCAYSQJDTHSC.20110308201852.JPG

"You see, I know the defense better than anyone. Tackling guys is easy when you are always in the right position to make plays"

50908a4cdaf90.preview-300.jpg

"Absolutely, who needs athleticism when I can precisely calculate the optimal place to be at all times"

clowney1-1-1-13.gif

Like it or not, he's right. We aren't going to win championships with the #1 and #2 type of player.

• Fire 2

NYZMCAYSQJDTHSC.20110308201852.JPG

"You see, I know the defense better than anyone. Tackling guys is easy when you are always in the right position to make plays"

50908a4cdaf90.preview-300.jpg

"Absolutely, who needs athleticism when I can precisely calculate the optimal place to be at all times"

clowney1-1-1-13.gif

Like it or not, he's right. We aren't going to win championships with the #1 and #2 type of player.

Just curious as to what you are saying?? If you think we were completely athletically inferior you and I watched a different game.

Just curious as to what you are saying?? If you think we were completely athletically inferior you and I watched a different game.

Completely? No. But the difference between giving up 18 points per game in the SEC and 26 points per game in the Big Ten.

• Fire 1

Not to add more salt to the wound but the recievers that made those catches werent even their best ones. Thought they were missing two of the top ones to knee injuries and lost another today with a concussion. Could be wrong but if not, how much worse would it have been if they hadnt been missing even better wrs? No doubt we needed prince etc...but more pressure up front consistantly killed us. Guess we will see if our young guys will make the difference some of us think they will, this off season will be huge time to go to work! GBR

coach Joseph kinda said the samething today after the game, he was a little nicer about it but him and Coach Pap both said this defense lacks the athletes to compete with the big boys...BUT they did say it should be more athletic next year so like we say at the end of every season maybe next year

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130101/HUSKERS/701019875/1002#shatel-bo-s-upbeat-message-harkens-back-to-an-nu-turning-point

Completely? No. But the difference between giving up 18 points per game in the SEC and 26 points per game in the Big Ten.

What I would say is our top 50 or so was every bit as good as theirs. Once we get further out than that, their bottom 20 or so had our bottom 20 beat. They were definately deeper than us. Which stems back to the 08 and 09 recruiting class.