"Look at them, look at us..."

Haspula

Not to add more salt to the wound but the recievers that made those catches werent even their best ones. Thought they were missing two of the top ones to knee injuries and lost another today with a concussion. Could be wrong but if not, how much worse would it have been if they hadnt been missing even better wrs? No doubt we needed prince etc...but more pressure up front consistantly killed us. Guess we will see if our young guys will make the difference some of us think they will, this off season will be huge time to go to work! GBR

This is true. UGA was missing Marlon Brown, Micheal Bennett and then Malcom Mitchell got hurt at the very beginning of the game. Mithcell is a game changer, so I am sure we missed him. To be fair, there is a some drop off, but all of our receivers are pretty good "hands" guys. The difference is that a Mitchell or a Bennett is more likely to take it to the house. Mitchell is our best pure offensive threat. Having said that, I tought the other guys played well, so I am not sure it made that much difference.

Part of the issue was the inability to really get consistent pressure on Murray. You let a guy with his talent sit in the pocket, coupled with the talent of their receivers and any DB's would look bad. Murray threw some great passes and his receivers also made him look great. Evans has played solid all year. IMO, DB's gave up some plays today, but still held the SEC record setting QB to 54% completion rate. It just hurts when he rips us for almost 500 yrds.

Exactly. You can't give a guy like Murray that much time or he'll make you pay. We need a front four that can get pressure all by themselves without having to send two or three more guys also because, as we also saw, a qb of that caliber will make you pay on an all out blitz also. Our D problems start up front. The same could be said about our O problems also but those are not near as severe. Been saying it for quite awhile; control the lines and we'll be sitting fat.

Bingo! The teams that have really given us problems this year have a crazy good pass rush (see USCe). I think Peliini had a good plan and it worked for a little while. He basically stacked the line (thought disguised) to stop the run and put more pressure on Murray and went primarily man to man on our receivers. Your DBs were on them better than any other DBs I remember all year long. You could see on TV that they had a hard time getting open. The only real success that we had is with wither pin-point passing by Murray and great receptions by the recievers or with teh drag routes where there were some defensive breakdowns by Nebraska (TE Lynch and WR Conley for example). I would say if Nebraska had a weakness on defense it was lack of a serious pass rush to make Murray get happy feet and make more errors. You guys slowed down the run, but you couldn't capitilize on the second part and that is gettiing to the QB to knock him off his game.

UGA had the opposite problem. We had a difficult time slowing down the run, but had a pretty good pass rush when the QB decided to throw the ball. With that QB (Martinez) and his mobility and your RBs that aren't outstanding, but very serviceable (like a possession receiver, dependable) you guys should run it 70 % of the time, IMO or at least do more run/pass options. Martinez could probably move the ball down the field on his own if you can get him in space. Just my 2 cents.

I find it hilarious that there are still Georgia fans who would like to call Rex Burkhead "serviceable." He had 176 yards on the ground and made that "SEC speed" look like it had cement in their shoes on various occasions.

Yeah, I just laugh when I hear their "praise". The guy was driving the pile and breaking loose for big runs against god's conference. He'd be a gamer anywhere he played. And Ameer flat out broke some ankles today, just wish he could take care of the ball. That should be his number one priority this off season.

I think poor safety play was our biggest problem again, but this time in pass defense. I'm not sure if it was by design or if they were just out of position, but it seemed like we were trying to jump routes in the middle as opposed to staying deepest as the deep and helping out the corners.

I find it hilarious that there are still Georgia fans who would like to call Rex Burkhead "serviceable." He had 176 yards on the ground and made that "SEC speed" look like it had cement in their shoes on various occasions.

Well, I meant servicable as a compliment from the standpoint that he was consistently good for yardage. He didn't appear to have break away speed and was more like Toby Gerhardt than Adrian Peterson. That's not a bad thing. He was a very good back, but not in the league of the Alabama backs, or Lattimore, or Gilleslee. He's a damn good back, but I wouldn't trade our backs (Gurley and Marshall) for him. Another thing, UGA's defense has been suspect against the run all year, so before you go heeping praise for his performance against UGA's substandard rushing defense, I'd consider the source.

He was a very good back, but not in the league of the Alabama backs, or Lattimore, or Gilleslee. He's a damn good back, but I wouldn't trade our backs (Gurley and Marshall) for him.

Against a "SEC defense laden with NFL talent," Rex:

• 24 carries
  • 140 yards
  • 5.8 average
  • TD
  • Long of 28

Against a "SEC defense laden with NFL talent," Lattimore:

• 24 carries
  • 109 yards
  • 4.5 average
  • TD
  • Long of 19

Against a "SEC defense laden with NFL talent," Gillislee:

• 22 carries
  • 77 yards
  • 3.5 average
  • ZERO TD
  • Long of 16

Against an AWFUL Nebraska defensive line with a DE playing DT, "GURSHALL" combined:

• 31 carries
  • 161 yards
  • 5.2 average
  • TD
  • Long of 24

I would say Lattimore, Gillislee, and Marshall aren't in REX BURKHEAD's league.

Yelden and Lacy ... yeah, they are freaks.

• Fire 1

Well, I meant servicable as a compliment from the standpoint that he was consistently good for yardage. He didn't appear to have break away speed and was more like Toby Gerhardt than Adrian Peterson. That's not a bad thing. He was a very good back, but not in the league of the Alabama backs, or Lattimore, or Gilleslee. He's a damn good back, but I wouldn't trade our backs (Gurley and Marshall) for him. Another thing, UGA's defense has been suspect against the run all year, so before you go heeping praise for his performance against UGA's substandard rushing defense, I'd consider the source.

He was near the top half of many preseason heisman watchlists. He's good, and he'll continue to prove it at the next level.

I didn't realize that Rex had so many yards on the ground. It didn't seem like we ran it with him enough IMO. Rex will truly be missed.

I've never seen someone turn a no-gain into 3 yards or 3 yard gain into a first down as much as Rex. Heart, he has it.

I've been a consistent critic of this defense. Geez, how could you NOT be?

But I honestly thought the D-Line applied a decent amount of pressure on Murray and the secondary played pretty tight man-to-man on those deep balls. Those are good Georgia players making great plays.

What remains glaring is when a receiver gets the ball in a crossing pattern, or a running back clears our front line and suddenly there isn't a Nebraska defender in sight. Just miles and miles of open green.

I don't know how many touchdowns Nebraska has given up where the ball carrier scores untouched. Literally untouched. I don't know how Montee Ball goes in untouched running between the tackles from the 10 yard line when everyone in the stadium knows what the play call will be. And he did it twice.

That's the mystery we need to solve.

Just curious as to what you are saying?? If you think we were completely athletically inferior you and I watched a different game.

Completely? No. But the difference between giving up 18 points per game in the SEC and 26 points per game in the Big Ten.

What I would say is our top 50 or so was every bit as good as theirs. Once we get further out than that, their bottom 20 or so had our bottom 20 beat. They were definately deeper than us. Which stems back to the 08 and 09 recruiting class.

I think we performed admirably yesterday but I do not think we are on the same level as UGA. You mention depth is the only issue, which is certainly the case. But UGA will have more first round draft picks (Jones, Ogletree, Jenkins, possibly Murray in a weak QB class) than we will most likely have in the entire 7 rounds. I would say our 6-50 players are the same talentwise, but our depth and very top guys are inferior

This topic seems rather redundant and obvious. Clearly UGA had superiors athletes and ability as their 3rd and 4th string receivers were giving our secondary fits all Game. I'm sorry but people on these boards often complain about a lack of coaching strategy and gameplan, but oftentimes yesterday we were getting torched with double coverage on those wide outs. Either getting beat over the top or the under man in coverage being so out of position that he didnt have a chance (SJB)...

As others have said, our starters on defense couldn't hang and we don't have reserves. Bo's subpar early recruiting classes are an excuse for now as he seemed to do just fine with top classes from Callahan. Until he and the staff prove that they can recruit athletes consistently on both sides of the ball, this type of season will continue to be the norm.