Defensive Coordinator

My number one complaint has always been inexperience. Bo was not ready, Pap, not ready and Beck not ready for the jobs they were given. Bo has too much on his plate because of this. Being the head coach of a major university is like being CEO of a major company. He does not have time to be the teacher, he takes the top candidates to grow the business. Rarely if ever does he take an intern to run a division. We have done it numerous times.

The next worry about this is, if they do turn out to be great OC and DC, someone comes along and hires them and we start the scenario over again, where as with a experienced OC/DC he could be training is successor.

Bo has done pretty good with Beck, how long before someone says they will pay him to be HC somewhere? Then Nebraska starts over again with Bo training the new guy.

Bo is the Defensive coordinator you're kidding yourself if you think Coach Pap does anything more than just agree with Bo and smile

That's exactly the problem for me, though. There are some coaches on this staff that probably shouldn't be in the position they're in at a university like Nebraska, specifically JP. He was a "defensive intern" at LSU for four years, then followed Bo here, where he went from special teams coordinator to defensive coordinator in five years. It took him five years to take over a head coordinating job at a premier division one football university. That's unreal.

Pelini for all intents and purposes is in charge of the defense. If that's true, then what's the point of JP, what is his role, and how does it contribute to the team's goals?

Papuchis also had the title of DE coach, which basically amounted to him being the Assistant DL coach. For 2011, Carl "supposedly" took over full time DC duties so that Bo could put more time in with Beck in developing an offensive system, hence making Papuchis the DL coach exlusively. I put trust in Bo that he see's something in Papuchis. He's been with John for many years already. I trust that Bo is in a hell of a lot better position that any of us here to make that call.

i'm just not sure what Papuchis job is if bo is the D. coordinator and coach Kaczenski is now the d line coach and els is the recruiting coordinator what specifically does Papuchis do now does he help on the D line does he help Bo with drawing up the game plan does he call any plays why give him the tittle of being the D coordinator? and as long as the defense struggles i dont think its unfair for fans to give him and Bo a hard time

My number one complaint has always been inexperience. Bo was not ready, Pap, not ready and Beck not ready for the jobs they were given. Bo has too much on his plate because of this. Being the head coach of a major university is like being CEO of a major company. He does not have time to be the teacher, he takes the top candidates to grow the business. Rarely if ever does he take an intern to run a division. We have done it numerous times.

The next worry about this is, if they do turn out to be great OC and DC, someone comes along and hires them and we start the scenario over again, where as with a experienced OC/DC he could be training is successor.

Bo has done pretty good with Beck, how long before someone says they will pay him to be HC somewhere? Then Nebraska starts over again with Bo training the new guy.

Carl Pelini was a DC elsewhere before he became DC here. Shawn Watson was the sitting OC when Pelini arrived and was an OC before he got there. Pelini was a DC at NU, OU, and LSU before getting a HC job. I would refer to my point earlier about Wil Muschamp and "inexperience". Peilini has done just fine, Beck is more than proving his worth, and Pap needs another year or 2 to make any snap judgements about his abilities to be a DC.

i'm just not sure what Papuchis job is if bo is the D. coordinator and coach Kaczenski is now the d line coach and els is the recruiting coordinator what specifically does Papuchis do now does he help on the D line does he help Bo with drawing up the game plan does he call any plays why give him the tittle of being the D coordinator? and as long as the defense struggles i dont think its unfair for fans to give him and Bo a hard time

I bet Papuchis has a huge hand in gameplanning, and as I said earlier, just doing Bo's dirtwork from a defensive standpoint. What I'm really saying is that Bo calls the defense during the game, if not the exact plays every down, he's giving extremely heavy input. It always will be that way as far as I'm concerned.

I bet Papuchis has a huge hand in gameplanning, and as I said earlier, just doing Bo's dirtwork from a defensive standpoint. What I'm really saying is that Bo calls the defense during the game, if not the exact plays every down, he's giving extremely heavy input. It always will be that way as far as I'm concerned.

Seems right. I would think Papuchis oversees the defense on a weekly basis and is responsible for preparing the team to face the opponent, while Pelini oversees the entire team's preparation. But come game time, Pelini provides, like you said, "heavy input" including play calls and what not.

It's partly Pelini's fault for putting JP as the DC. We had new defensive coaches this year so I'm hoping another year under their belt and they'll all be more comfortable. But we got flat out embarrassed this year in a way that is completely unacceptable - we gave up around 70 points twice, gave up over 650 yards to UCLA, and then our secondary got embarrassed for four quarters against a good passing attack. Lack-of-talent aside, I think it's more of a coaching issue, and it's showing. But like I said, another year is ahead of us. Unfortunately, I don't think the university or the fans are going to wait for Pelini's staff to mature. It's year six and regardless of what people say about Osborne and how long it took him to win big, I don't think anybody is going to give Pelini much longer if he doesn't at least win a conference title. Eventually excuses have to stop.