Only 4 Teams With 9+ Wins Each Season Since 2008

Question?

9 wins over 5 years. Good bar.

Do you honestly feel that this team with those 45 wins is better than?

Texas A&M

Florida

Louisville

Texas

Stanford

Georgia

LSU

Florida State

Clemson

Oklahoma

Ohio State

Wisconsin

Boise State

TCU

Kansas State

South Carolina

Oregon State

Do you honestly feel our coaching staff is superior to those programs?

Of those listed above how many have won conferences Championships or bowlg ames in the last three years?

Do you feel that our tradition is better than most, that our facilities our better than most and that out coach is paid more than most?

I think we are bottom of the rung top 25 team, that will end up there again next year. We are paying too much for the coaching we are getting. And most likely will be giving him another pay raise/budget raise.

No I am looking at reality, you live in a dream world. We have steadily gotten worse the last three years. Poor coaching, lack of experience, coaches that actually state they have no idea. Every single team I listed was better than Nebraska this year and would most likely have stomped them in a game, some did.

Now can we get better is the question. But saying we won 9 games the last 5 years means we are better is buying a load of crap. It just means we won the games nothing more. Trust me I would much rather be in most teams place on that list. Some exceptions, but I will take LSU, Georgia, South Carolina, Clemson, Stanford, Ohio State and a host of others as far as possible growth and development so far.

We are lowering out expectations, not of the players but of the coaching as far as I am concerned. I will give them credit for getting the team ready to play Georgia, and I think Beck is making improvement. Will we be a top program next year because we actually went out and won games or were they give me games due to the schedule. Then get killed in the Bowl game. But we won 9 games so we will almost be there will be the claim just like has been for the last 5 years. A large number on this board had us in the MNC hunt every year that Bo has been here. I really do not think it will ever happen with Bo as our head coach, I am not sure any coach can get us to the level of the SEC and that is what it is going to take.

Love the team, the program, the University and the state, just do not feel we are anywhere near where some think we are swallowing that we are on the same level as the other three because we won 9 games is beyond belief for me.

New Weasel had said all year long it was mirrors, but after actually attending the MNC game he said he has never seen such an intimidating team, the speed, the size, the committment was more than he had ever seen. I remember going to the Miami/Nebraska game and saying during warm ups that it was going to be a rout, we did not belong on the same field with them. He said the size in person was astounding, I thought the speed of Miami was beyond belief. But did mention 2008 USC as close.

I never bought the Notre Dame story, I felt they won some games that they should not have and were not very impressive in the way they won, luck of the Irish so to speak. I would much rather have seen them play Oregon, but I think Bama is too physical for them.

• Fire 1

I'm looking at reality too. We've won at least 9 games every year for the past 5 years, and only 3 other teams have managed to accomplish that. If it was easy, then more teams would be on that list. There aren't, so it must be something difficult to accomplish.

But it is an arbitrary statistic, so far as evaluating where the team is now. You can't say that, well this team is decent because the 2008 Huskers won 9 games; it's like saying Florida would've beaten Louisville if they played that game in November. The fact of the matter is, we lost games badly this year, no doubt.

All the stat points to is consistency, we've been consistently pulling out 9+ win seasons. It shows Bo's coaching ability. But so does no CCG trophies, or his record against the Top 25, or our final rankings for the past 5 seasons.

• Fire 1

I see this being a positive sign. Especially for where our football program has been. Its not "lowering your expectations", its knowing reality and the fact that you can't become a National Title while your still rebuilding. Something Nebraska is doing, even at this moment, 5 years under Bo.

Again, I see this as a positive, like some others do, but your always going to have the other unhappy people who want to piss on anything positive.

Assuming you mean contender?

Because Alabama was supposed to be rebuilding this year (8 drafted, 4 in the 1st round, a 5th at the top of the second).

As was Ohio State (young QB, sanctions, new coaching staff, new offensive line).

And Michigan should have been last year as well.

I kind of thought Oregon would be this year with all they lost. (James and a new QB)

Same goes for Stanford after losing Luck & Fleener.

And LSU after losing 11 to the NFL, Including Jefferson, Claiborne, Brockers and then the Honey Badger to suspension.

Even A&M with a freshman QB and the move to a new conference.

Point is - in CFB you rebuild every year. Good teams do it. Nebraska continually blames their 4 losses on losing such and such player to the NFL. The top tier teams that people are comparing us to in this thread reload each year and come back to an 11 win season. (Even Boise had 6 go to the draft, 2 in the first.)

I see this being a positive sign. Especially for where our football program has been. Its not "lowering your expectations", its knowing reality and the fact that you can't become a National Title while your still rebuilding. Something Nebraska is doing, even at this moment, 5 years under Bo.

Again, I see this as a positive, like some others do, but your always going to have the other unhappy people who want to piss on anything positive.

Because Alabama was supposed to be rebuilding this year (8 drafted, 4 in the 1st round, a 5th at the top of the second).

As was Ohio State (young QB, sanctions, new coaching staff, new offensive line).

I kind of thought Oregon would be this year with all they lost. (James and a new QB)

And LSU after losing 11 to the NFL, Including Jefferson, Claiborne, Brockers and then the Honey Badger to suspension.

Point is - in CFB you rebuild every year. Good teams do it. Nebraska continually blames their 4 losses on losing such and such player to the NFL. The top tier teams that people are comparing us to in this thread reload each year and come back to an 11 win season. (Even Boise had 6 go to the draft, 2 in the first.)

Yes contender.

I guess you didn't get my concept on rebuilding. Oregon, Alabama, Michigan, A&M, Stanford nor tOSU (for the most part) had little to no rebuilding. tOSU lost some players, but most of what Urban has, is Tressel's recruits. Basically the same exact coaching staff from as well. None of these teams just came from the bottom, with the worst performances in school history like we did. Losing kids and getting new ones is always going to be something every school has to deal with on a year to year, or every other year basis. Not one of these schools have gone through a complete coaching transform. Not one of those schools have the representation of firing a 10 win season coach. Pederson tarnished our program when he fired 10 win Solich. Even Meyer was quoted saying this, and in another thread the quote is there of what was said. We are still building. We are still trying to make this place a destination where kids want to come, instead of having to work our asses off trying to get them here. We are still building and learning in our coaching positions. From head coach, to DC, to OC. Again, building up to where we were once before. Will we get there? We have the personnel to do so, so I believe we will. Things don't just happen in 5 years, in a tarnished program (in the college coaching perspective), under a brand new head coach that is still learning how to do his job.

Nick I think you are spot on in that. But I get railed for saying things taken as anti Nebraska, because I do not believe we are at that MNC level or even remotely close to it. But in every thread about the next year, we have the people that say we are just a player away, we should be in a BCS bowl, we are on level with Bama, Oregon and Boise State. I listen to every single day. Over and over. There are a few of us that do not believe it, that it is not just around the corner.

Being realistic has never been part of this boards mantra. Bo would have us back in the MNC hunt the first year, then the next we should win it, and on and on.

Bo did a heck of a job the first two years. Why has it went down hill since? The prior staffs recruits, and his inability to recruit to level kids? We got our 9 wins this year, some were questionable, I know not ours, but our own fans say Notre Dames were questionable, so if the shoe fits wear it.

We are not close to being on the same level with Bama, Oregon or Boise State and there are a heck of lot more to be considered.

We are a top level 2nd tier program right now, that may move into the lower first tier. We will never return to the 90's. That is not a bad thing, it is just where we are. Thinking the opposite is fine. But just because I think one way and another thinks the other does not make either right. The performance on the field is the answer. 10 wins, some against less than stellar opponents and some of those lucky to win. Compare those wins game for game with Bama, Oregon and Boise State and see what they look like. I would most likely give you Boise as their schedule was easier than ours I am sure. I know they have won BCS games, but I do not put them on the same field as the other two either.

Yes contender.

I guess you didn't get my concept on rebuilding. Oregon, Alabama, Michigan, A&M, Stanford nor tOSU (for the most part) had little to no rebuilding. tOSU lost some players, but most of what Urban has, is Tressel's recruits. Basically the same exact coaching staff from as well. None of these teams just came from the bottom, with the worst performances in school history like we did. Losing kids and getting new ones is always going to be something every school has to deal with on a year to year, or every other year basis. Not one of these schools have gone through a complete coaching transform. Not one of those schools have the representation of firing a 10 win season coach. Pederson tarnished our program when he fired 10 win Solich. Even Meyer was quoted saying this, and in another thread the quote is there of what was said. We are still building. We are still trying to make this place a destination where kids want to come, instead of having to work our asses off trying to get them here. We are still building and learning in our coaching positions. From head coach, to DC, to OC. Again, building up to where we were once before. Will we get there? We have the personnel to do so, so I believe we will. Things don't just happen in 5 years, in a tarnished program (in the college coaching perspective), under a brand new head coach that is still learning how to do his job.

Ah, you were talking more about rebuilding the program. I gotcha now. And I kind of agree with you. Notre Dame was certainly in the crapper and rebounded quickly. Oklahoma pre-stoops was in the crapper and he won in year two. Alabama was in the crapper in 2006 & 2007. I'd say, they were in worse shape than us coming off the sanctions yet went 12-2 in year 1 and won in year 2 of Saban. Michigan had just gone through one of the worse periods in recent program history, having let go of a legendary coach to hire a very Callahan-like RichRod - Hoke won a BCS game in his first year. Chizik won in year 2 of a rebuilding Auburn. Meyer in year 2 of a Florida program that had some pretty bad season before he got there. There are many more like this. Do you remember USC in 2000? No one else does either. They'd just gone through the worst decade in the programs history (going something like .500). Carrol comes in, goes undefeated in year 2 and begins one of the greatest runs in recent history.

Every scenario is different in ways - but each of these rebounded far more quickly than Nebraska has. Each of these was likely in worse shape than Nebraska. When Bo took over we were what, 6 years removed from playing for the National Title? Some of these had dealt with sanctions, historically bad results over extended periods - many much worse than us....but they all had one thing in common (save Chizick @ Auburn) - hiring a heck of a HC who brought a great supporting staff of assistants.

^

On the other side of that take a look at other programs that haven't been able to rebuild. Look at Colorado - crappy coaching. Look at Miami - crappy coaching. Tennessee - crappy coaching. It's certainly tough to rebuild - but I think looking at recent history (last 20 years) you get a pretty good idea in the first 4-5 years if you have the right coach or not. The programs that have rebuilt - generally do so in this time frame. Very few have done it over extended time frames. Maybe Wisconsin. Oklahoma State. But this is not a program that is trending upward. I don't see any indication that we haven't already peaked.

I really wish we would quit with this comparison. The others have won something, anything and are far above us. It is embarassing to so proud of this. Great we won 9 games, have we won anything that means anything. We need to set our goals higher than being one of four to win 9 games since. Not a single person in the country cares but us.

Sorry to be a dick about it, but we continue to lower what is acceptable. Throw in a conference championship and it sounds good, but throw in a few blow outs, embarassing losses on the National scene and it really means little.

Glad we won the games, but would much prefere we win some that were not supposed to. That would be a step up.

Everyone knows all this - but the statistic still has merit. Why? Because how many other teams have done what we've done? How many? Oh, only three? And they're all perennial BCS and Championship contenders or winners?

Well, we aren't, but we're in the same company, which means we are, at the very least, close.

How many losses do those other three teams have in the same span? How many other schools have the same/better record as we do in that span? These are also telling statistics. Just because someone went 8-5 amid three 11-1 seasons doesn't mean Nebraska is a better program than they are (not that this team exists, just an example). Not by a long shot. You can make a statistic to say anything you want it to.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.