Only 4 Teams With 9+ Wins Each Season Since 2008

Well fine then. If we're not gonna win National Championships, then I'd rather we go 4-8, so we can put that revolving coach door into full speed until we get someone that wins a title in their 1st 2 years.

Point being, that if you want to compare yourself to Alabama and Oregon the do so. But do so fully, not just cherry-picking stats that you like to see. In the last 5 seasons:

Boise State: 4 conference championships, 1 BCS bowl appearance, 1 BCS win.

Oregon: 3 conference championships, 1 National championship appearance, 4 BCS bowls, 2 BCS wins.

Alabama: 2 conference championships, 3 National Championships, 4 total BCS bowls, 3 BCS wins.

Nebraska: 0 conference championships, 0 BCS bowls

Now how do we compare to them? Close? Not even a little.

Well fine then. If we're not gonna win National Championships, then I'd rather we go 4-8, so we can put that revolving coach door into full speed until we get someone that wins a title in their 1st 2 years.

Point being, that if you want to compare yourself to Alabama and Oregon the do so. But do so fully, not just cherry-picking stats that you like to see. In the last 5 seasons:

Boise State: 4 conference championships, 1 BCS bowl appearance, 1 BCS win.

Oregon: 3 conference championships, 1 National championship appearance, 4 BCS bowls, 2 BCS wins.

Alabama: 2 conference championships, 3 National Championships, 4 total BCS bowls, 3 BCS wins.

Nebraska: 0 conference championships, 0 BCS bowls

Now how do we compare to them? Close? Not even a little.

I'm not arguing with you.

Offensively we were almost identical to this years offense that you consider "one of the best in the nation".

wat

6 points against Missouri, 14 against Okie Lite and A&M.

Almost identical is a bit of a stretch. If we were only able to muster scores like that against the likes of Northwestern, Michigan State, and Penn State this season would have been a little different.

I don't think there's any question our offense in 2012 is considerably better than in 2007.

not much from a statistical standpoint which is all huskernation uses to prove they are "one of the best". And if your'e using that argument to dispell the offense then I can use the UCLA/Wisconsin/Georgia games to say that the 2012 defense was worse than the 2007 defense...which I don't think it was. Over the entire season that offense averaged out to very similar than ours this year.

If we were starting at ground zero Watson wouldn't have fielded the #17 scoring offense in 2008 (11 spots and about a point better than this year), and Pelini wouldn't have turned that defense into the #1 defense in year 2.

I think it's safe to say if Ganz was the starter for the entire 2007 season, that offense would have been as good, or better than what we have now.

Our offense was basically non-existent for about a month before Keller went down, then once Ganz came in, it started to click. But you can't tell me that an offense that disappeared for nearly a month was as good as what we have now. It might average out to being the same, but in reality it's not really close.

I think it's safe to say if Ganz was the starter for the entire 2007 season, that offense would have been as good, or better than what we have now.

Our offense was basically non-existent for about a month before Keller went down, then once Ganz came in, it started to click. But you can't tell me that an offense that disappeared for nearly a month was as good as what we have now. It might average out to being the same, but in reality it's not really close.

so you agree that we weren't starting at ground zero in 2008 when Pelini got here? :P

so you agree that we weren't starting at ground zero in 2008 when Pelini got here? :P

Yes.

I realize I'm getting in late on this topic, but I'm one to listen to all comments and go from there. For the most part the fans on this board are forgetting one very important fact. NU has always played a weak schedule. Name me a yr in the big 8 that we didn't go 9-1 or 10-0 before the okla game. It wasn't because we were go great, we played against the sisters of the poor, just like every other top team does. You don't play tough competition every week and end up undefeated. I believe the schedule we play now is tougher than the ones we played during the big 8 days.

For all you negative posters, I imagine you've never suited up, or if you did, you didn't play much. You act as though you have so much knowledge concerning how to coach and play. You make me sick. I haven't posted much on here and probably won't in the future. You don't need to drink kool aid to realize this team is on the rise, yeah, we got blown out a couple of times this yr, But lets not forget, we played Georgia tough and could have won the game if not for taylor's usual gaffs. interception or fumble at the worst times, against georgia it wasn't just him, ameer helped out in that department. Those were unforced errors and those mistakes are the ones that have killed us.

I also believe the young guns will be better than this yrs slow as molasses linebackers. I don't care how much you know the defense, if you're not fast enough to keep up, what good does knowing what to do help you. I'll add another players name that came in, and because of his speed, played lights out. Lavonte David anyone. Played pretty good without knowing the D, just extremely fast to the ball. The offense has returned and the defense will soon follow, if you can't see that, than you are just a naysayer that knows little. I've followed the Huskers since 1958, and with little exception, we've never had the skill at the skill positions that we have now, yeah, a player here or there, but not the overall talent at every offensive skill position. If our O line was anything like TO's teams, no one could stop us, they have trouble now. This is a husker board and our recruits look at this site to check out the fans, it's unfortunate that 70 percent of the contributors on here are negative, because we haven't brought home a title. I would like to have a few new banners myself, but I'll support the huskers with as much positive influence as I can. Support what we have, stop crying about what you want, have a little patience. TO left in after the 97 season. We haven't been a top flight program since. Bo's only had five yrs to repair 11 yrs of avg to poor coaching, loss of recruits with TO's retirement, etc. etc. etc. Grow up you bunch of cry babies. This team will get back to the promise land without your negative crap, and this board would be better off without you. Call me a kool aid drinker if you want, but I'm a true red husker fan, and will not put my team down regardless of how poorly they play. They are my team and will be till I die. I'll support them in victory and defeat. and be proud of the academic all americans we produce. GBR

• Fire 2

I realize I'm getting in late on this topic, but I'm one to listen to all comments and go from there. For the most part the fans on this board are forgetting one very important fact. NU has always played a weak schedule. Name me a yr in the big 8 that we didn't go 9-1 or 10-0 before the okla game. It wasn't because we were go great, we played against the sisters of the poor, just like every other top team does. You don't play tough competition every week and end up undefeated. I believe the schedule we play now is tougher than the ones we played during the big 8 days.

For all you negative posters, I imagine you've never suited up, or if you did, you didn't play much. You act as though you have so much knowledge concerning how to coach and play. You make me sick. I haven't posted much on here and probably won't in the future. You don't need to drink kool aid to realize this team is on the rise, yeah, we got blown out a couple of times this yr, But lets not forget, we played Georgia tough and could have won the game if not for taylor's usual gaffs. interception or fumble at the worst times, against georgia it wasn't just him, ameer helped out in that department. Those were unforced errors and those mistakes are the ones that have killed us.

I also believe the young guns will be better than this yrs slow as molasses linebackers. I don't care how much you know the defense, if you're not fast enough to keep up, what good does knowing what to do help you. I'll add another players name that came in, and because of his speed, played lights out. Lavonte David anyone. Played pretty good without knowing the D, just extremely fast to the ball. The offense has returned and the defense will soon follow, if you can't see that, than you are just a naysayer that knows little. I've followed the Huskers since 1958, and with little exception, we've never had the skill at the skill positions that we have now, yeah, a player here or there, but not the overall talent at every offensive skill position. If our O line was anything like TO's teams, no one could stop us, they have trouble now. This is a husker board and our recruits look at this site to check out the fans, it's unfortunate that 70 percent of the contributors on here are negative, because we haven't brought home a title. I would like to have a few new banners myself, but I'll support the huskers with as much positive influence as I can. Support what we have, stop crying about what you want, have a little patience. TO left in after the 97 season. We haven't been a top flight program since. Bo's only had five yrs to repair 11 yrs of avg to poor coaching, loss of recruits with TO's retirement, etc. etc. etc. Grow up you bunch of cry babies. This team will get back to the promise land without your negative crap, and this board would be better off without you. Call me a kool aid drinker if you want, but I'm a true red husker fan, and will not put my team down regardless of how poorly they play. They are my team and will be till I die. I'll support them in victory and defeat. and be proud of the academic all americans we produce. GBR

Do we still use banners to recognize championships?

Are you crazy?! You have a 7-6 season, there is more issues than were ever there to begin with. Bo has a 7-6 season, kiss his ass goodbye and a new coaching staff & starting back at ground zero. Oh and good luck finding a good coach, or even a better one to replace him with. No one wants to coach at this school. Its been stated more than once, in the coaching profession, this school has a tarnished reputation. Your also looking at schools who haven't had to start from ground 0. Many of those schools have had the same coaching staff for almost a decade, if not longer.

No one would come here because we fired a coach for a 7-6 season? You are placing WAY too much value in a single quote by d-bag Urban Meyer regarding an event that happened nearly a decade ago. And we were far from starting at ground zero. We had 1 bad defensive season. Offensively we were almost identical to this years offense that you consider "one of the best in the nation".

Tarnished as in firing a 10 win season coach. Since Solich, not many coaches have wanted to come here, because we fire coaches with winning seasons, one time in 6 years, he had a "losing" season. When we were looking for HC's after Solich, that is why we landed with Callahan, rather than someone who was superior at that time. Hence, no one wanted to come here. I sure wouldn't knowing the school just fired a successful coach.

When Bo came in, we started from ground 0. New offensive scheme, new defensive scheme, new assistants and starting from scratch in recruiting. Kids don't want to come to a school that has a first time HC, with no background of proving he is a winning coach. Therefore, I say recruiting started at ground 0 when Pelini came here. It got even tougher when we had "no-name" assistants. Now, because of the success we have offensively, we are able to pull in the talent we need on that part, and kids want to come here (for the most part) because defensively, we are still looking for an identity, and if a kid has any decent talent, he is more than likely going to see the field. Program is moving up, but Bo had to build what he has from scratch.

Tarnished as in firing a 10 win season coach. Since Solich, not many coaches have wanted to come here, because we fire coaches with winning seasons, one time in 6 years, he had a "losing" season. When we were looking for HC's after Solich, that is why we landed with Callahan, rather than someone who was superior at that time. Hence, no one wanted to come here. I sure wouldn't knowing the school just fired a successful coach.

When Bo came in, we started from ground 0. New offensive scheme, new defensive scheme, new assistants and starting from scratch in recruiting. Kids don't want to come to a school that has a first time HC, with no background of proving he is a winning coach. Therefore, I say recruiting started at ground 0 when Pelini came here. It got even tougher when we had "no-name" assistants. Now, because of the success we have offensively, we are able to pull in the talent we need on that part, and kids want to come here (for the most part) because defensively, we are still looking for an identity, and if a kid has any decent talent, he is more than likely going to see the field. Program is moving up, but Bo had to build what he has from scratch.

Only we didn't start from ground 0. Pelini retained Watson and the offense stayed essentially the same in 2008 as it was in 2007. If Pelini chose to switch offensive systems in 2009 and 2010, that was his prerogative. But don't suggest they started at ground 0, when they didn't. And starting from scratch? I wish he could start from scratch again if it meant walking into a defense with Prince Amukamara, Eric Hagg, Ndamukong Suh, Jared Crick, Larry Asante, etc.

Only we didn't start from ground 0. Pelini retained Watson and the offense stayed essentially the same in 2008 as it was in 2007. If Pelini chose to switch offensive systems in 2009 and 2010, that was his prerogative. But don't suggest they started at ground 0, when they didn't. And starting from scratch? I wish he could start from scratch again if it meant walking into a defense with Prince Amukamara, Eric Hagg, Ndamukong Suh, Jared Crick, Larry Asante, etc.

Can you read? I said new defensive scheme and assistants. LUCKILY enough we had players who caught on very quickly and were better performers under Bo's complicated secondary scheme and made the best of what those players were able to be, to have success in the NFL. Thats something Bo had to do as well, that Callahan couldn't do. Recoaching kids to your style isn't easy.

Retaining Watson and his crew was ground 0 in my opinion. Watson's style wasn't good for NU and it showed. Pelini wanted to get rid of Watson after his first season here, but TO asked him to give him one more year. If you disagree we started from ground 0, so be it, I could care less.

Yes sir, I will make sure I state everything to your standards before posting again. We obviously both disagree on something, so lets leave it at that, rather than telling someone what to and what to not suggest.

Yes, in fact, I can read. Which is why I'm also able to type and research a stance before I go off half-cocked with faulty data. You are suggesting they started at Ground Zero. Which is to say they had nothing on defense (having new coaches and a new scheme, yet loaded with talented players isn't exactly ground zero. But I digress.). Yet his 2009 defense, with Callahan's players, surpasses every defense he's had since. I would argue that there isn't a guy on the 2012 defense that would be starting on that 2009 defense, except for MAYBE a safety in place of Matt O'Hanlon. I'm not saying that the success of the 2009 defense isn't to Pelini's credit. I'm saying he walked into a stocked roster, used it, and has yet to restock it on the defensive side of the ball.

Maybe recruiting did start from scratch (though it isn't as if Pelini were an unknown guy - he was the defensive coordinator of the reigning national championship team and at the top of everyone's list to be promoted to a head coaching job). But, if there was ever a time for Pelini to capitalize on recruiting defensive players and DTs in particular, you would think it would have been after that 2009 season. Yet here we are in 2012, and Pelini's defensive line is paper thin, and the defense in general is lacking in playmakers. Apparently it is more difficult for Pelini to recruit players to fit his system than it was for him to coach players other people recruited. You think he built us to this point... while I'm saying we've severely regressed on defense in his time at Nebraska. Are you arguing otherwise?

Finally, if Pelini kept Watson, for whatever reason, and forced him to run an offense that he wasn't suited to run in 2009 and 2010... well, that's on Pelini as well.

Yes, in fact, I can read. Which is why I'm also able to type and research a stance before I go off half-cocked with faulty data. You are suggesting they started at Ground Zero. Which is to say they had nothing on defense (having new coaches and a new scheme, yet loaded with talented players isn't exactly ground zero. But I digress.). Yet his 2009 defense, with Callahan's players, surpasses every defense he's had since. I would argue that there isn't a guy on the 2012 defense that would be starting on that 2009 defense, except for MAYBE a safety in place of Matt O'Hanlon. I'm not saying that the success of the 2009 defense isn't to Pelini's credit. I'm saying he walked into a stocked roster, used it, and has yet to restock it on the defensive side of the ball.

Maybe recruiting did start from scratch (though it isn't as if Pelini were an unknown guy - he was the defensive coordinator of the reigning national championship team and at the top of everyone's list to be promoted to a head coaching job). But, if there was ever a time for Pelini to capitalize on recruiting defensive players and DTs in particular, you would think it would have been after that 2009 season. Yet here we are in 2012, and Pelini's defensive line is paper thin, and the defense in general is lacking in playmakers. Apparently it is more difficult for Pelini to recruit players to fit his system than it was for him to coach players other people recruited. You think he built us to this point... while I'm saying we've severely regressed on defense in his time at Nebraska. Are you arguing otherwise?

Finally, if Pelini kept Watson, for whatever reason, and forced him to run an offense that he wasn't suited to run in 2009 and 2010... well, that's on Pelini as well.

Callahan's players or not, Pelini made that 2009 defense into what it was. He had to recoach each and everyone of those players. You think Amukamara was a DB under Callahan? No. Bo is the one who suggested Prince to move from WR to DB, therefore recoaching him into the player he was when he left. Same goes for Suh. Suh was just the average (maybe slightly above) DT when Callahan was coaching. Bo got his hands on him as well and turned him into the successful player he is/was. Bo didn't come into a superior defense like you make it seem. Bo coached those kids to be superior. Crick wasn't Callahan's recruit and he was the best DT we had besides Suh, and you could make the same argument with naming Steinkuhler. Talent wasn't showing defensively when Callahan was here, even with "his players". That is what I am saying. Bo had to coach each and everyone of those kids, while trying to teach them a new defensive scheme.

Offensively, we had next to nothing, except for maybe a handful of players. Only talented QB we had in 2008 was Joe Ganz, with only one quality receiver (Swift) and Lucky in the back. Bo didn't have anything to work with on offense when he got here with Watson having no identity on that side of the ball and a much too complicated system for anyone to work with.

You act like Bo was given a dynasty when he got here.

We regressed on defense because of Bo's inability to recruit talented players. We had a few here and there, but we have yet to have a full class of talented players, until Bo hired some quality assistants after making a name for himself. Starting with Corey Raymond, to Terry Joseph and Coach Kaz. Ross Els has brought some attention to having quality LBers wanting to come here. We finally have 3 good coaches to help recruit where we have slacked, due to having a no named coach, with no experience and no record for kids to look back on. Sure he was a successful DC, but no HC experience.