All time top NU QBs

Of those listed, which QB was the 'greatest Leader' - not performer?

Personally, I think Scott Frost in 1997 showed great leadership and grit. NU fans were booing him in 96 and then again in the early stages of 97. But after he willed the team to a big victory against Washington, his grit to overcome Mo in the the flea kicker game was amazing. Not too many option QBs could lead the team down the field wt a minute to play and pull out the tie and then the win in OT. Then he lead with his mouth after the Tenn game against Manning. I wonder how many coaches changed their minds and voted Tom his 3rd NC after hearing Scott challenge them with these words after the Oragne Bowl victory:

"I don't see how anyone with a clear conscience can look at themselves in the mirror and not vote for Nebraska as No. 1," Frost said. "Nobody else is saying this, so I'm going to say it. The AP has pretty much given Michigan the title — it's up to the coaches. The coaches have got to vote for Nebraska.

"How could you not give this team, 13-0 and the winner of the Bowl Alliance, a share of the national title? They can't do it. The title has been split before and it should be split again."

That kind of leadership and "leading with his mouth" reminds me quite a bit of Martinez. I think there isn't a snowball's chance in hell we win the National Championship in 2013, but there are definite parallels between Frost's time here at Nebraska and Martinez'.

Its going to be our "Notre Dame" year....

Of those listed, which QB was the 'greatest Leader' - not performer?

Personally, I think Scott Frost in 1997 showed great leadership and grit. NU fans were booing him in 96 and then again in the early stages of 97. But after he willed the team to a big victory against Washington, his grit to overcome Mo in the the flea kicker game was amazing. Not too many option QBs could lead the team down the field wt a minute to play and pull out the tie and then the win in OT. Then he lead with his mouth after the Tenn game against Manning. I wonder how many coaches changed their minds and voted Tom his 3rd NC after hearing Scott challenge them with these words after the Oragne Bowl victory:

"I don't see how anyone with a clear conscience can look at themselves in the mirror and not vote for Nebraska as No. 1," Frost said. "Nobody else is saying this, so I'm going to say it. The AP has pretty much given Michigan the title — it's up to the coaches. The coaches have got to vote for Nebraska.

"How could you not give this team, 13-0 and the winner of the Bowl Alliance, a share of the national title? They can't do it. The title has been split before and it should be split again."

That kind of leadership and "leading with his mouth" reminds me quite a bit of Martinez. I think there isn't a snowball's chance in hell we win the National Championship in 2013, but there are definite parallels between Frost's time here at Nebraska and Martinez'.

Very true. They both faced a lot of high expectations to begin with, then a lot of negative talk to overcome. They both played/are playing with a chip on their shoulder. I think TM has made that chip a help mate instead of a burden. I think it will be a part of his motivation to go out on top next year. I don't think a NCC will happen but a CC is within range.

I would throw Z.T. in the top 10 somewhere towards the bottom. Kid was a baller.

Zac Taylor was a very valuable and under appreciated QB. He is penalized for being a part of the BC era which everyone wants to forget - for good reason. But without him, BC would have been -500 in all 4 years. Zac was a coach on the field. Very smart and I think he overcame some of Billy's play calling with his leadership and 'football smarts'. He was conference offensive player of the year. The CC game didint go well but he always seem to be a class act and led by example. I might place him ahead of 9-10th. At a very min, I'd place him at # 11 and Gantz at # 12 - both had to deal with SW/BC play calling. Both were leaders on and off the field.

Taylor and Ganz were both exceptional system QBs (Taylor more so than Ganz, who had some scramble to him) who excelled under the offense despite relative lack of physical ability (the stature, the cannon arm, etc). Definitely two of my favorites, although I don't know about Top 10 all-time at a school as prestigious as NU. Certainly arguable, but I agree -- maybe just outside

The top 10 list here has quarterbacks whose starting years spanned something like 33 (give or take) years of Nebraska football history. That's quite a lot, I feel like it covers most of the Golden Years. Certainly most of the Osborne years.

Yeah, I agree. Toughy and gutsy. Big-time overachiever. Really maximized while here and lifted the team on his back. Really fun to watch. Clear top 10? Tough competition for that and tough for someone, no matter how overachieving, who didn't have some kind of special physical talent at the position or better seasons under his belt.

Again, Zac Taylor is still probably one of my favorite Husker QBs ever.

the thing about Zac Taylor is he played in the most forgotten 4 year span in probably our program's history. Then throw in the fact that he quarterbacked the two winning seasons in that 4 year stretch. Not top 5, but Zac Taylor is a clear top 10 Nebraska all-time qb.

yes, and he had to also overcome a cosgrove D - not as bad as Cosgrove's 2007 D - Keller had to try to overcome it

yes, and he had to also overcome a cosgrove D - not as bad as Cosgrove's 2007 D - Keller had to try to overcome it

Well, Taylor's overcome 1 JP defense already...lets hope we're not saying the same thing about 2013 as we were about 2007...because 2006 didn't look too bad. No one saw 07' coming. This time we're trending to that though.

If we're rating "toughest" quarterbacks, Zac Taylor is in the top three, maybe #1. The dude had such a porous offensive line, took so many brutal hits, and kept getting back up, kept making the throws the next play.

That is a high compliment. I'd say Scott, Tommy and Zac are the toughest for different reasons: Scott wasn't afraid to run over people, Tommy ran so much, he took a lot of hits - but NO sacks in 1995. And Zac, kind of like TM, having to run for his life behind the line. I had forgotten how much he scrambled until someone mentioned it. He wasn't a speed runner like TM or Eric by any means but he worked hard on on turning a negative into a positive.

I think I'm talking myself into placing him at # 9 ahead of Gerry and Vince F. Can't but him ahead of the 1961-62 QB just because he started the great era of Husker football under the BobFather - I was a very young boy then. I guess I was not overly impressed by Vince and Gerry. I do remember watching Humm and Tagge during my HS years - this is when I became a fan.

I think people get confused w/ the Cosgove defenses. There's a reason he was here in 07'. His 06' defense was not that bad...

2006/2012 (per game)

Scoring: 18.3 (would have ranked #14 this year) / #58 - 27.6

Rushing: 116.57 (would have ranked #15 this year) / #92 - 192.5

Passing: 215.28 (would have ranked #40 this year) / #5 - 168.1

Total: 331.9 (would have ranked #18 this year) / #35 - 360.6

That 18.3 number is what's important. In Pelini's time here we've gone 28.5, 10.4, 17.4, 23.4, 27.6. Would you have fired Bo/Carl after 2010 (which was similar to Coz's 2006)? Nope.

Callahan's scoring defense: 27.1, 21.0, 18.3, 37.9 (no one could have seen that coming looking at the historical trends)

I think people get confused w/ the Cosgove defenses. There's a reason he was here in 07'. His 06' defense was not that bad...

2006/2012 (per game)

Scoring: 18.3 (would have ranked #14 this year) / #58 - 27.6

Rushing: 116.57 (would have ranked #15 this year) / #92 - 192.5

Passing: 215.28 (would have ranked #40 this year) / #5 - 168.1

Total: 331.9 (would have ranked #18 this year) / #35 - 360.6

That 18.3 number is what's important. In Pelini's time here we've gone 28.5, 10.4, 17.4, 23.4, 27.6. Would you have fired Bo/Carl after 2010 (which was similar to Coz's 2006)? Nope.

good info. that 2007 was enought to taint everthing.