All time top NU QBs

I would love to see what Martinez numbers might be if the Defense was a bit better, and if we were still lineman U. (I still have a Dave Remington autograph from when he came to my elementary school). He would have more wins and he may even have fewer turnovers as he would be trying to force things. Of course that said you can see it when he starts to lose his composure, it seems to start with some type of erratic pass or pitch when trying to force a play and next thing you know the interception or fumble follows. I did not look back at the numbers so please correct me (as I deserve) but did his fumble issue improve a bit as the season went on.

I completely agree. Martinez is faster than Tommie Frazier ever was and, if my memory serves me correct, is a statistically better thrower. You give Martinez the same kind of tools and weapons Frazier had at his disposal, and I wager we're championship contenders and Martinez receives nowhere near the criticism he does.

Similarly, you put Frazier on this team and I doubt his performances, statistics, and w/l ratio are as good.

In regards to Martinez fumbles, I want to say it was a more consistent problem that was existent in some games and non-existent in others. The problem, of course, is the overall number - we fumbled 35 times as a team this year and lost 22 of those fumbles, and Martinez was the leading culprit. Ball security has been a huge problem with this team the last couple of years, and it all comes back to fundamentals, discipline, and really a shade of luck.

I would love to see what Martinez numbers might be if the Defense was a bit better, and if we were still lineman U. (I still have a Dave Remington autograph from when he came to my elementary school). He would have more wins and he may even have fewer turnovers as he would be trying to force things. Of course that said you can see it when he starts to lose his composure, it seems to start with some type of erratic pass or pitch when trying to force a play and next thing you know the interception or fumble follows. I did not look back at the numbers so please correct me (as I deserve) but did his fumble issue improve a bit as the season went on.

I completely agree. Martinez is faster than Tommie Frazier ever was and, if my memory serves me correct, is a statistically better thrower.

Frazier had a 48% completion percentage in 1995. Can you imagine the uproar if Taylor threw for that low of a percentage?

I completely agree. Martinez is faster than Tommie Frazier ever was and, if my memory serves me correct, is a statistically better thrower. You give Martinez the same kind of tools and weapons Frazier had at his disposal, and I wager we're championship contenders and Martinez receives nowhere near the criticism he does.

Similarly, you put Frazier on this team and I doubt his performances, statistics, and w/l ratio are as good.

In regards to Martinez fumbles, I want to say it was a more consistent problem that was existent in some games and non-existent in others. The problem, of course, is the overall number - we fumbled 35 times as a team this year and lost 22 of those fumbles, and Martinez was the leading culprit. Ball security has been a huge problem with this team the last couple of years, and it all comes back to fundamentals, discipline, and really a shade of luck.

Frazier was a playmaker. IMO he would still be making plays even with this (2012) offense. Make no mistake about that. As for the fumbling by good old Taylor he's fumble prone. Period. No matter what offensive line he'd run behind you still get tackled. Would his fumbles go down behind Frazier's o line? Maybe. Possibly. Moreover to even remotely compare the two quarterbacks in my opinion is ludacris. One dwarfs the other. Frazier's football IQ was second to none.

I completely agree. Martinez is faster than Tommie Frazier ever was and, if my memory serves me correct, is a statistically better thrower.

Frazier had a 48% completion percentage in 1995. Can you imagine the uproar if Taylor threw for that low of a percentage?

It wasn't that big of the issue - we didn't pass that much then. It was just as likely to get a 60 yard run as a 60 yard pass completion.

It wasn't that big of the issue - we didn't pass that much then. It was just as likely to get a 60 yard run as a 60 yard pass completion.

Exactly.... I hope that wasn't your argument defending Frazier? Nebraska often used the passing game in those days as the element of surprise (run,run,run,run,run,run,run,PASS!), so that completion percentage should have been much higher.... Taylor is no Frazier overall, but he is a much better passer.... Taylor never has, and never will get the credit he deserves....

Frazier was a playmaker. IMO he would still be making plays even with this (2012) offense. Make no mistake about that. As for the fumbling by good old Taylor he's fumble prone. Period. No matter what offensive line he'd run behind you still get tackled. Would his fumbles go down behind Frazier's o line? Maybe. Possibly. Moreover to even remotely compare the two quarterbacks in my opinion is ludacris. One dwarfs the other. Frazier's football IQ was second to none.

If my coaching career depended on who I picked as QB (Bo has done this wt TM it appears - no one else is developed behind him) and I could pick any NU QB - it would be Tommy hands down. Gill would be 2nd. I would even put Frost ahead of TM because of leadership alone.

Taylor will never surpass the top 3, but he can solidify #4 with a conference championship next year

A National Championship could/should put him in the top 3....Think about it, all of the records (literally), and a national championship! I am not saying it is likely, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility either....

If my coaching career depended on who I picked as QB (Bo has done this wt TM it appears - no one else is developed behind him) and I could pick any NU QB - it would be Tommy hands down. Gill would be 2nd. I would even put Frost ahead of TM because of leadership alone.

Give me Crouch every time.... Can you imagine what he would have done with the talent that Frazier had around him? Crouch was as good as a traditional option QB can be....

It doesn't make any sense to compare stats from different eras. The nearly 56% Frazier had as a senior was a darn good completion rate for an option QB of the early to mid 90s. He wasn't quite the thrower that Gill was, but way better than both Frost and Crouch. And nobody managed the option better than Frazier: when to pitch, where to pitch (hitting the RB in full stride). Unfortunately you can't create some individual stats for that.

Martinez may be able to crack the top 10, but to many other QB's have won multiple conference championships and bowl games for him to jump them without those stats. He's got to win a conference championship otherwise he's just a footnote.

The only problem with that premise is that he cannot win a conference championship alone. He needs his defense to show up.

We've been a member of conferences with championship games for 15 years and we've played in the conference championship five times (33%, which isn't bad when you think about it). This year we scored, by far, the most points we've scored in any CCG, and yet we got beat by the largest margin of any CCG loss. To wit:

Year - CONF - VS - NU - OPP - RES - MARGIN

1999 - Big XII - Texas - 22 - 6 - W - 16

2006 - Big XII - Oklahoma - 7 - 21 - L - (14)

2009 - Big XII - Texas - 12 - 13 - L - (1)

2010 - Big XII - Oklahoma - 20 - 23 - L - (3)

2012 - Big Ten - Wisconsin - 31 - 70 - L - (39)

The two incongruities there are the number of points scored by both teams in 2012. We scored more than enough under Martinez to win this conference championship. Instead, we end up with the largest margin of defeat in any CCG. That has nothing to do with Martinez.

Actually it's 7. We were in the First Big 12 Championship game and lost 37-27 to Texas and next year beat A&M 54-15

Martinez may be able to crack the top 10, but to many other QB's have won multiple conference championships and bowl games for him to jump them without those stats. He's got to win a conference championship otherwise he's just a footnote.

The only problem with that premise is that he cannot win a conference championship alone. He needs his defense to show up.

We've been a member of conferences with championship games for 15 years and we've played in the conference championship five times (33%, which isn't bad when you think about it). This year we scored, by far, the most points we've scored in any CCG, and yet we got beat by the largest margin of any CCG loss. To wit:

Year - CONF - VS - NU - OPP - RES - MARGIN

1999 - Big XII - Texas - 22 - 6 - W - 16

2006 - Big XII - Oklahoma - 7 - 21 - L - (14)

2009 - Big XII - Texas - 12 - 13 - L - (1)

2010 - Big XII - Oklahoma - 20 - 23 - L - (3)

2012 - Big Ten - Wisconsin - 31 - 70 - L - (39)

The two incongruities there are the number of points scored by both teams in 2012. We scored more than enough under Martinez to win this conference championship. Instead, we end up with the largest margin of defeat in any CCG. That has nothing to do with Martinez.

Come on. Everyone knows that Trent Dilfer was a much better QB than Dan Marino. Just look at how many Super Bowls they won.

Just in case - :sarcasm

This is a good listing of Top NU QBs.

Where would you rank TM now? Where do you think he will end up after next season?

Any surprises on this list? i think I would move Taggy to # 3 and Eric # 4.

With that being said, If we win the Big 10 championship next year, I think TM moves in at 4 or 5. Although it is still hard for me to place him

ahead of Steve Taylor and Scott Frost (emotional response). But, considering his full body of work and with it a CC next year, then I think he will deserve

that high of a rating.

If he doesn't have a CC, then I think he ranks 9th. He needs some hardware to elevate his ranking IMHO.

http://nebraska.scou.../2/1160280.html

This is a good listing of Top NU QBs.

Where would you rank TM now? Where do you think he will end up after next season?

Any surprises on this list? i think I would move Taggy to # 3 and Eric # 4.

With that being said, If we win the Big 10 championship next year, I think TM moves in at 4 or 5. Although it is still hard for me to place him

ahead of Steve Taylor and Scott Frost (emotional response). But, considering his full body of work and with it a CC next year, then I think he will deserve

that high of a rating.

If he doesn't have a CC, then I think he ranks 9th. He needs some hardware to elevate his ranking IMHO.

http://nebraska.scou.../2/1160280.html

It's Tagge, not Taggy

Biggest difference I see is that Tommie was a winner period. Yeah, he had some tools, but so did Turner. As did Vince Ferragamo and David Humm. We've had some studs at the QB position, and Taylor is nothing other than a great athlete playing qb. It's the age old question. Would you rather have Peyton, Marino, or Farve? Answer is easy, take the winner, Farve. Doesn't mean he's the best, just means he's is a winner. I've got great news for you boys, Tommy Armstrong is a winner, and he'll start more than one game in 13. You heard it here first. This kid is a winner and he'll take NU to the next level. Book it. GBR