Just what are we going to need to do to bring the title back the corn state?

I read many good ideas for what we need to get over the hump. To me the key to winning more and bigger football games is the offensive and defensive lines. Until we have the big uglies who can dominate their opponent in the trenches we will stumble in the big games. We have solid Qb's, Rb's and receivers. We seem to have more speed coming on the defensive back 7. What I'm not seeing in our recruiting is those incredible giants that set the tone in a big game. Two examples I give are: 1. Nebraska's national championship teams had big guys on both sides of the line who could rip your head off and play error free. 2. Alabama a few nights ago dominated what was thought to be a pretty good D line of ND. Control the line of scrimmage .....control the game. Eat up the clock and keep the other teams offense off the field.

Good post. It all starts up front. Our O Line is close and our D still has some work to do and new/different types to be recruited.

Even Urban Meyer nails it right on the head. If that doesn't tell you how we are viewed, then I don't know what else will. After Solich firing, our program fell. Not just football performance, but the lack of respect nationally. IMO, Pederson is partial to blame for this.

Partial? Partial? Sorry, that understatement of the year made me laugh.

Playing devil's advocate here, but the common theme that a lot of posters mention is patience and continuity. What if patience is overrated and outdated? The landscape of college football is much different than it was 15 - 20 years ago. Hear me out, I'm not saying Fire Bo, but the program, now is obviously better than what he took over. I do believe that whoever follows Bo will certainly inherit a better program, when that day comes. He did what he was supposed to do which was basically stabilize the program. It's time to take it to the next level. I'm still on the fence on what needs to be done, but deep down, I just don't think he can do it. But, if you look around the country, coaches that are winning championships / playing for BCS bowls are doing it in their first 5 years with a team. As stated numerous times, you don't fire a coach with the number of wins that he has though. I get it, so basically we are left with 9 - 10 win purgatory until Bo can find a better job or some scandal i.e. Tressel forces us to find a new coach. On the plus side, keeping Bo is the SAFE play and maybe he gets us over the hump, but looking around the country at the way coaches are having success NOW, it looks like you have to hire the hot name and put tons of pressure and expectations on them to succeed. Just for the sake of discussion, (he would NEVER get hired at NU nor do I want him to) what do you think Petrino could do at NU?

Patience is not overrated and building stability will never be outdated. The landscape of college football may be slightly different now (more parity) but you still have to go out there and smash the other team in the face and win on Saturdays. The biggest change for Nebraska has been that we lost the stable, reload every year system that TO built. We still have the same recruiting handicaps we've always had. Those were softened by a winning tradition (which is on the mend under Pelini) and by having an excellent player developement regime and work hard ethic. We have to do more with less, always have and always will. The flavor of the month coach doesn't change those things simply with his name.

I agree that the program is in better shape now than when Bo took over. the heights we fell from were staggering and it could not have been much lower by the end of the Pederson/Callahan reign. Bo is one of the main reasons the program has stabilized and sits on the verge of making it over that next hump. That took some work and a lot of effort to accomplish. That is why I believe now is when we should be giving Bo time to make the next step. He did pretty darn well with the first phase so why do so many doubt he's the right person for the next phase? I do not feel it is fair or even reasonable to compare us to some other teams that may have some grand accomplishment within five years of hiring a new coach. Name one of those teams that was as low as Nebraska was at the beginning of that 5 year period. Bo led us to the plateau and now he has to finish getting us to the summit. I see nothing yet that indicates he can't get the job done. Programs don't make that leap in only 5 years with the recruiting handicaps we have.

Seriously, what coaches and what programs are having succuss now that can legitimately be compared to what we've had to endure to get back to where we are now?

Playing devil's advocate here, but the common theme that a lot of posters mention is patience and continuity. What if patience is overrated and outdated? The landscape of college football is much different than it was 15 - 20 years ago. Hear me out, I'm not saying Fire Bo, but the program, now is obviously better than what he took over. I do believe that whoever follows Bo will certainly inherit a better program, when that day comes. He did what he was supposed to do which was basically stabilize the program. It's time to take it to the next level. I'm still on the fence on what needs to be done, but deep down, I just don't think he can do it. But, if you look around the country, coaches that are winning championships / playing for BCS bowls are doing it in their first 5 years with a team. As stated numerous times, you don't fire a coach with the number of wins that he has though. I get it, so basically we are left with 9 - 10 win purgatory until Bo can find a better job or some scandal i.e. Tressel forces us to find a new coach. On the plus side, keeping Bo is the SAFE play and maybe he gets us over the hump, but looking around the country at the way coaches are having success NOW, it looks like you have to hire the hot name and put tons of pressure and expectations on them to succeed. Just for the sake of discussion, (he would NEVER get hired at NU nor do I want him to) what do you think Petrino could do at NU?

Patience is not overrated and building stability will never be outdated. The landscape of college football may be slightly different now (more parity) but you still have to go out there and smash the other team in the face and win on Saturdays. The biggest change for Nebraska has been that we lost the stable, reload every year system that TO built. We still have the same recruiting handicaps we've always had. Those were softened by a winning tradition (which is on the mend under Pelini) and by having an excellent player developement regime and work hard ethic. We have to do more with less, always have and always will. The flavor of the month coach doesn't change those things simply with his name.

I agree that the program is in better shape now than when Bo took over. the heights we fell from were staggering and it could not have been much lower by the end of the Pederson/Callahan reign. Bo is one of the main reasons the program has stabilized and sits on the verge of making it over that next hump. That took some work and a lot of effort to accomplish. That is why I believe now is when we should be giving Bo time to make the next step. He did pretty darn well with the first phase so why do so many doubt he's the right person for the next phase? I do not feel it is fair or even reasonable to compare us to some other teams that may have some grand accomplishment within five years of hiring a new coach. Name one of those teams that was as low as Nebraska was at the beginning of that 5 year period. Bo led us to the plateau and now he has to finish getting us to the summit. I see nothing yet that indicates he can't get the job done. Programs don't make that leap in only 5 years with the recruiting handicaps we have.

Seriously, what coaches and what programs are having succuss now that can legitimately be compared to what we've had to endure to get back to where we are now?

Bob stoops, Brian Kelly, chip Kelly, chizik, beliema, hoke, tressel have all made bcs bowl appearances within 5 years of their most recent hire I believe. As far as what we endured? Everybody says bo walked into plenty of talent.

Urban was not coming to Nebraska and it had nothing to do with 10 wins. He knew the reason Frank was in trouble if he was friends with him.

He also stated around the same time that his dream job was Notre Dame and would take it in a second, well glory be it became available and was offered, but Florida came about at the same time. He looked at both and saw the talent level at Florida and guess where he went, dream job or not.

He is a scum bag, has always been one and will continue to be one. Good coach and will clean our clocks for as long as he is there. But him not taking the Nebraska job hinged on talent level and we did not have then nor do we now.

Not going to take the time to look up all the info. But most of those coaches were not first time head coaches. Most had previous coaching experience. No all but most. They had time at another school to figure out what's works and what doesn't. Bo's feet have been to the fire since day one. I'd say he has done a pretty good his first 5 years. He will be even better the next 5.

Urban was not coming to Nebraska and it had nothing to do with 10 wins. He knew the reason Frank was in trouble if he was friends with him.

He also stated around the same time that his dream job was Notre Dame and would take it in a second, well glory be it became available and was offered, but Florida came about at the same time. He looked at both and saw the talent level at Florida and guess where he went, dream job or not.

He is a scum bag, has always been one and will continue to be one. Good coach and will clean our clocks for as long as he is there. But him not taking the Nebraska job hinged on talent level and we did not have then nor do we now.

I'm curious to learn what trouble you're referring to here? No sarcasm, honest question?

The Meyer quote is interesting for many reasons. If you add the "Houston Nutt didn't get on the plane" saga to the Meyer quote, it starts to look like a puzzle. Let alone who else might've spurned Pederson's offer that we're not aware of?

Tennessee's 2012 coaching search is an excellent example of what 2004 Nebraska's coaching search looked like. It dragged on too long, wasn't pretty and in the end, people came away feeling "blah" about it.

Not going to take the time to look up all the info. But most of those coaches were not first time head coaches. Most had previous coaching experience. No all but most. They had time at another school to figure out what's works and what doesn't. Bo's feet have been to the fire since day one. I'd say he has done a pretty good his first 5 years. He will be even better the next 5.

not disagreeing simply pointing that if it's gonna happen its within 5 years and there are several examples. Bo was new but you could make the argument that an experienced coach could come to nu now and take us to a bcs within 5 years if it's the right hire.

How have Bo's feet been to the fire since day one?

I do not feel it is fair or even reasonable to compare us to some other teams that may have some grand accomplishment within five years of hiring a new coach. Name one of those teams that was as low as Nebraska was at the beginning of that 5 year period.

Was the last year of billy c bad? Yes. We didn't even make a bowl game. Big deal. This is an over reaction. You make it sound like we came off the death penalty. It was definately a low point but nothing that every other program hasn't been through.

Sure you could fire Bo and go after a big name hire. But there is no guarantee that he would fit. Maybe you remember Rich Rod at Michigan. My point is that you need 2 compare apples and apples. Is Bo perfect? No, but he is a great fit here and with more head coaching experience will only get better.

Sure you could fire Bo and go after a big name hire. But there is no guarantee that he would fit. Maybe you remember Rich Rod at Michigan. My point is that you need 2 compare apples and apples. Is Bo perfect? No, but he is a great fit here and with more head coaching experience will only get better.

:yeah

GBR!!!