The Foundation of Recruiting.

I have a few general questions about recruiting, and i know there are are people on here who know a hell of a lot more about it than me. But i'm really starting to keep up in recruiting more but need some things cleared up. I'll give out plenty of +1's in this thread for the help!!

First, on average about how many players TOTAL does a team offer? Not by position but just in total? Do we offer 100 kids a year, 200?

Next, I know recruiting is based on your teams needs, so let's we need 3 DT's and 1 HB. In that case, we would offer more DT's than HB's that year right?

Finally, What if there are more players that want to commit in total, and or by position? Do they just tell some of them, "hey i know we offered, but we don't have room for you?" or how does the process work with weeding out kids after you offer them?

Thanks

EDIT: Also how am i supposed to know our team needs each year? Is there somewhere to figure out what we are after? or just rely on people here?

I have a few general questions about recruiting, and i know there are are people on here who know a hell of a lot more about it than me. But i'm really starting to keep up in recruiting more but need some things cleared up. I'll give out plenty of +1's in this thread for the help!!

First, on average about how many players TOTAL does a team offer? Not by position but just in total? Do we offer 100 kids a year, 200?

Next, I know recruiting is based on your teams needs, so let's we need 3 DT's and 1 HB. In that case, we would offer more DT's than HB's that year right?

Finally, What if there are more players that want to commit in total, and or by position? Do they just tell some of them, "hey i know we offered, but we don't have room for you?" or how does the process work with weeding out kids after you offer them?

Thanks

EDIT: Also how am i supposed to know our team needs each year? Is there somewhere to figure out what we are after? or just rely on people here?

Now i am in no way shape or form a recruiting guru but i think this could be accomplished by simply seeing who graduates from the roster each year. That will give you a general idea of what is needed each class.

Now i am in no way shape or form a recruiting guru but i think this could be accomplished by simply seeing who graduates from the roster each year. That will give you a general idea of what is needed each class.

Keep in mind that you're "projecting" 2-3 years down the road. We don't replace people that just graduated with recruits that come in as Freshman. Sometimes we'll take a handful of JUCOs (like we would have this year at DT, or David a few years ago) in an effort to plug a hole immediately. But, this class is meant to fill the spots vacated by the 2014-15 seniors, not the 2012 seniors that are graduating in a few months. That's where you'll project the needs. As a general rule of thumb, there are 22 starters...ideally you're recruiting for every position. 5 OL, 2 WRs, 2 DTs, 2 DEs, 4 DBs, etc. We have depth issues on the OL because we've been sitting at 2 a year for a while now. Then the other 3 are mixed based on need. Talent often trumps need. You just don't pass up on a guy like Terrell Newby because you've already got Adam Taylor and are only planning to take 1 RB. Expect about 25% of the class to be busts/transfers/never make it to campus. Another 25% will never see the field or rarely play until maybe senior year.

As for the offers, we have (per rivals) 229 out currently. 167 last year, 159 the year before, 197 the year before. For the top players, an offer officially indicates interest. Even Alabama has 155 offers out. Expect to average around 10% commitment. Take the DT position, the staff worked their asses off on that this year and kind of stuck out. We had 22 offers out and landed 2.

Recruiting has shifted some in regards to the offers though. If you look at 2010, we put out 16 offers to 6.0 and above recruits. We obviously didn't get any of them. For our 2013 class we have over 30 of the same offers out, landing Newby, getting closer to Priest Willis, and kinda close to Cravens. I think the staff is shifting more to these top recruits in an effort to upgrade the talent. A lot more work is being done this year than in years past.

Also, consider that 85% of these recruit projections/rankings are based on performance prior to a kid's senior year. This is where the "stars" thing gets blown up. Sophomore/Junior stats are the basis for nearly every ranking. Often a kid is stuck behind a more talented 4* until their senior year. This is where you'll see some of these 3* kids that aren't discovered until later in the year. Adam Taylor is like that. Injured junior year - isn't on the radar - breaks out his senior season. Nebraska benefits greatly at times because we don't have a full class committed prior to their senior seasons. I think this is what has gotten Texas recently. They had full classes of diva-queens that don't pan out because from the time they are 16 they are committed and checked out of HS.

• Fire 3