**** Official Hockey Thread **** (NHL & College)

walksalone

According to this article, the NHL really wants to go to 32 teams.

If they do add a team in Seattle, what is the next location for the 32nd team?

Would Omaha be a legit candidate? Las Vegas with their new arena? Salt Lake City?

Seattle and Quebec City....

Bank on it...

Well, Yahoo! Sports had an article this week that the NHL wants to expand to Seattle. Given the Western Conference has 14 teams and the East has 16, there is room for expansion in the West. The rumors are Seattle is probably going to be a city that will land a franchise. Though I understand there are 2 issues the NHL wants cleared up - finding an ownership group in the area to purchase and support a team & details about a new area. If those can be addressed, then expansion is very likely. As for another city out west, I am not sure.

Quebec City also popped into my mind as an ideal expansion. Word has also been a second team in Montreal and Toronto or Hamilton, ON.

There was an east coast team that was told that it would not be a "good idea" for them to move their minor league franchise to Seattle. Seattle got boned twice this year, once with the NBA team and the NHL. Seattle has a built in rivalry with Vancouver, you move Detroit back to the west, and Quebec City. Toronto wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I believe Bettman has hinted, if not publicly made it out to be, that the likelihood of bring an NHL franchise to Seattle is a very good possibility. That is why I say Seattle is where an expansion will occur. I'd like to see another team in Toronto (or Montreal), and a team back in Quebec. There used to be 2 teams in Montreal... way back when.

Pens let Douglas Murray go. I'm not upset about that. He's too slow.

I think when Pittsburgh signed Rob Scuderi it was a signal they were not going to bring Murray, or any of their other FAs, back. Murray was a good "rental", IMO. He played physical and provided that element the Penguins needed. I wish him well in Montreal (minus when he plays Pittsburgh; Pens fan here!).

I thought Portland was a likely candidate for an NHL team. They've come VERY close two or three times now.

They've got a pretty good CHL team from what little I know, but I think they'd be worried about trying find enough support for the team...

I truly don't know. A lot of people bitch about it in Portland - and there were rumors that if Phoenix's other bid (that eventually kept them in PHX) didn't work out we were ready to buy them, as the Rose Garden is an NHL-ready arena already. Also, a few years ago, I guess Paul Allen almost bought the Pittsburgh Penguins.

You mean the WHL? The Portland Winterhawks? They are good, but don't get nearly the draw an NHL team would get.

I thought Portland was a likely candidate for an NHL team. They've come VERY close two or three times now.

They've got a pretty good CHL team from what little I know, but I think they'd be worried about trying find enough support for the team...

I truly don't know. A lot of people bitch about it in Portland - and there were rumors that if Phoenix's other bid (that eventually kept them in PHX) didn't work out we were ready to buy them, as the Rose Garden is an NHL-ready arena already. Also, a few years ago, I guess Paul Allen almost bought the Pittsburgh Penguins.

You mean the WHL? The Portland Winterhawks? They are good, but don't get nearly the draw an NHL team would get.

Didn't they schedule a few preseason NHL games in Portland a while back?

The Penguins were never "seriously" going to be sold. The whole relocation idea/talk was total nonsense. It was just a threat for the city to build the team a new arena. The team complained how Mellon Arena was old, outdated, and the Penguins were not able to generate $ as other teams with new arenas could. Mario Lemieux and the team came out said all this after the deal for CONSOL Energy Center was put in place. Kind of a crappy scheme for an owner to use to get a new arena, and not really fair by lying to the fans, either.

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of those USA Olympic jerseys. They're OKAY, IMO, but not great. They might grow on me when I watch games with the team wearing them.