**** Official Hockey Thread **** (NHL & College)

walksalone

Division names:

The Metropolitan Division consists of the Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Flyers, New Jersey Devils, New York Rangers, New York Islanders, Carolina Hurricanes and Columbus Blue Jackets, who have moved from the West to the East.

The Atlantic is made up of the Maple Leafs, Canadiens, Ottawa Senators, Buffalo Sabres, Detroit Red Wings, Boston Bruins, Florida Panthers and Tampa Bay Lightning. Detroit also has shifted from the West to the East.

The Central includes the Jets, Blackhawks, Colorado Avalanche, Dallas Stars, Minnesota Wild, Nashville Predators and St. Louis Blues.

The Pacific is composed of the Vancouver Canucks, Calgary Flames, Oilers, San Jose Sharks, Los Angeles Kings, Phoenix Coyotes and Anaheim Ducks.

http://espn.go.com/n...-division-names

Season starts October 1st: http://espn.go.com/n..._/date/20130928

You can't believe that mileage total is solely due to realignment as portrayed...especially considering other teams in their division have a ~47k average (true calculations notwithstanding). In fact, the source of the mileage data doesn't even mention the potential of that high number being due to realignment, the writer of the yahoo article makes that correlation himself. Not to mention, the yahoo writer left out the key reason behind all that travel:

It's clearly that high as a function of the timing of the scheduling of games. After all, (in theory) you play each team the same number of times each season and the distance from your home arena to each other team's arena is the same (save for plate tectonics, etc), So if you only ever traveled from your house to theirs each trip, the mileage should never change. But that is not how it works. For instance, instead of taking one road trip to Vancouver and then being able to hit Calgary and Edmonton and then San Jose for a home game in the same swing, they may head to Calgary, back down to SJ, up to Vancouver and then hit Edmonton and thus racking up an extra thousand+ in mileage.

It does help that not many of those games are back-to-back though. They have the lowest number of B2B games, which should help them recover from the travel.

Don't blame the realignment, blame the dudes scheduling the games. The yahoo writer just got caught being a poor journalist.

You can't believe that mileage total is solely due to realignment as portrayed...especially considering other teams in their division have a ~47k average (true calculations notwithstanding). In fact, the source of the mileage data doesn't even mention the potential of that high number being due to realignment, the writer of the yahoo article makes that correlation himself. Not to mention, the yahoo writer left out the key reason behind all that travel:

It's clearly that high as a function of the timing of the scheduling of games. After all, (in theory) you play each team the same number of times each season and the distance from your home arena to each other team's arena is the same (save for plate tectonics, etc), So if you only ever traveled from your house to theirs each trip, the mileage should never change. But that is not how it works. For instance, instead of taking one road trip to Vancouver and then being able to hit Calgary and Edmonton and then San Jose for a home game in the same swing, they may head to Calgary, back down to SJ, up to Vancouver and then hit Edmonton and thus racking up an extra thousand+ in mileage.

It does help that not many of those games are back-to-back though. They have the lowest number of B2B games, which should help them recover from the travel.

Don't blame the realignment, blame the dudes scheduling the games. The yahoo writer just got caught being a poor journalist.

re reading this I'm surprised my Av's didn't have the farthest to travel because I think the nearest teams to them are either MSP or Phoenix...

As a Blues fan, the divisions are pretty solid. Everything is right in the central time zones. I will miss playing Detroit so much, but the Blue Jacket games were always snoozers. I'm ready for the season to begin again.

I'm ready for the new season as well.

As a Blues fan, the divisions are pretty solid. Everything is right in the central time zones. I will miss playing Detroit so much, but the Blue Jacket games were always snoozers. I'm ready for the season to begin again.

I'm ready for the new season as well.

How convenient it's only 3 months away!