Few answers, troubling questions

There is nothing new in this article that adds facts to the situation, other than an undertone questioning Pelini's coaching and player development.

I wonder if we could have waited seven days to publish this? I'm not saying it shouldn't be said, just question the timing.

I'll tread lightly hear since anyone who questions the program or Bo gets skewered.

I did post on the article, but this article (and some of Dirk's) asks about many of things I wonder about with the current state of the program. Too many (supposedly talented) players have left the program recently, including the 2013 class, for my liking. Is this a situation that "happens at every top program", are these defections convergence of coincidences, or is there a fundamental flaw with how the program is being run? I don't know, but I'm not one to buy into this many coincidences.

I've alway wondered why Stark was not kept. I always thought he was a key piece of Osborne's program. I don't recall him being kept through Solich's term, and I know he wasn't here during BC. I would've thought Osborne would have suggested to Bo the value of someone like Stark. Anyone have any insight on this?

• Fire 1

He's says that if Ameer gets worn down or hurt, the job will go to a freshman. Cross is still a freshman?

And, I wouldnt consider Shatel a fluffer. I enjoy his unbiased take on thing. I like Sipple too. That's where I buy my koolaid.

He's right. It is troubling that this seems to be happening all to often. But if we are objective and realistic, is or isnt this an issue at every program in the nation? I seriously dont know, but I can't imagine this is a Nebraska only issue. Knapp pointed out factually in the Heard thread that 8 of the top 10 qb's from the 2010 class have since transferred to different programs. I guess it's why I'm not all too worried yet. I just dont see it as a program killer.

He's says that if Ameer gets worn down or hurt, the job will go to a freshman. Cross is still a freshman?

And, I wouldnt consider Shatel a fluffer. I enjoy his unbiased take on thing. I like Sipple too. That's where I buy my koolaid.

He's right. It is troubling that this seems to be happening all to often. But if we are objective and realistic, is or isnt this an issue at every program in the nation? I seriously dont know, but I can't imagine this is a Nebraska only issue. Knapp pointed out factually in the Heard thread that 8 of the top 10 qb's from the 2010 class have since transferred to different programs. I guess it's why I'm not all too worried yet. I just dont see it as a program killer.

I don't think the transfers are anything close to a program killer. In fact, so long as Nebraska fans are satisfied with 8-10 wins a year our program should be quite stable.

Articles about attrition at other schools:

Georgia

USC

Auburn

Texas

Boston College

Tennessee

Washington State

Florida

Oregon State

Kentucky

Iowa

Oklahoma

A general article on attrition across football

Another, a blog about SEC attrition in 2011

Another, about Illinois colleges

This was just the first page of results from a search for "attrition college football."

It happens everywhere. The reasons are myriad, and they're not always for bad reasons. A great line at the end of that Oregon State article:

Fan response on my blog was either the ship is sinking because players are leaving, or that they quitting on the Beavers.

One, as pointed out above, room has to be made for the fall. Two, there’s no dishonor in wanting to play. That’s why they are here. A degree is always the backup plan until that moment comes when it’s not.

So offseason player attrition is as much a part of college football as tailgating and cheerleaders. The ship is not sinking because of that and they are not quitters. They are looking for a new beginning.

• Fire 2

Let me start by saying, I really hope Heard stays. I think he could be a great wrinkle (and tremendous back up if not 1a/1b to Ameer) in Becks system....

But regarding the article, what frustrates me is the complaint of top talent leaving. What top top talent left?

Aaron Green (behind Burkhead, Abdullah, probably equal with Heard) = 3.5 on the depth chart

Klachko = never played, behind many

Peat Jr = (behind Randle, Rome, Williams, Guy) = 3 on depth chart

Tyler Moore = This one I'll give him. Moore did start. = 1 on depth chart

Maybe the fact that these guys were all 4 stars should be taken into consideration. The fact that they were all BIG recruits, but didn't pan out for different reasons should be reported. Maybe the "real journalist" should talk to the transfers and get answers. A real journalist doesn't "assume" it must be a common problem with the staff.

Plus, I want to hear Klachko say why he truly left (asked to leave)...

This article isn't "real journalism" like one commenter stated. It is an opinion piece. It is no different than what I just typed for free. Man...I'm underpaid!!!

• Fire 2

Reading the Texas portion. Obviously written sometime early 2012, because these numbers leave out the 2012 class, but over the previous ten years texas signed 217 recruits and 81 of them did NOT complete their eligibility at Texas, for whatever reasons. That's an average of 8 per year. We get worked up over what has been what, 2 or 3 per year? Obviously for them though, it's not too big on an issue as they have the next dozen or so blue chips waiting in line to be undercoached and underdeveloped.

• Fire 1

Let me start by saying, I really hope Heard stays. I think he could be a great wrinkle (and tremendous back up if not 1a/1b to Ameer) in Becks system....

But regarding the article, what frustrates me is the complaint of top talent leaving. What top top talent left?

Aaron Green (behind Burkhead, Abdullah, probably equal with Heard) = 3.5 on the depth chart

Klachko = never played, behind many

Peat Jr = (behind Randle, Rome, Williams, Guy) = 3 on depth chart

Tyler Moore = This one I'll give him. Moore did start. = 1 on depth chart

Maybe the fact that these guys were all 4 stars should be taken into consideration. The fact that they were all BIG recruits, but didn't pan out for different reasons should be reported. Maybe the "real journalist" should talk to the transfers and get answers. A real journalist doesn't "assume" it must be a common problem with the staff.

Plus, I want to hear Klachko say why he truly left (asked to leave)...

This article isn't "real journalism" like one commenter stated. It is an opinion piece. It is no different than what I just typed for free. Man...I'm underpaid!!!

The only counterpoint I'll make is that we can't say that those players didn't have talent. Your statement abour 4* is apt. Even if perhaps some of them were overrated, its depth you can't just kick to the curb. From a talent, ready for signicificant playing time perspective, I'd guess that Green and Moore had pretty good shots and being significant contributors to the team next season and beyond. Lets hope the incoming class, or RS fresh, can immediately replace these departures.