The last Husker to score in the Super Bowl

huKSer

It was a smart play, because you can basically tackle the opposing defense and you come out on top. What's ridiculous was that there wasn't even a holding flag thrown...

Not really rediculous at all as it wouldn't change a thing to throw a flag other than to add unnessesary procedure after the play. Holding isn't a penalty that stops play so they play still would have unfolded as it did.

There are only two options that San Francisco would have if the referees throw the flag for holding in that situation 1. decline the holding penalty or 2. accept the holding penalty which results in a safety with the exact clock and circumstances as existed anyways.

There still would have been 4 seconds left, the score would have still been the same and the Ravens still would have been doing the free kick.

So what would have been the point?

It was a smart play, because you can basically tackle the opposing defense and you come out on top. What's ridiculous was that there wasn't even a holding flag thrown...

Not really rediculous at all as it wouldn't change a thing to throw a flag other than to add unnessesary procedure after the play. Holding isn't a penalty that stops play so they play still would have unfolded as it did.

There are only two options that San Francisco would have if the referees throw the flag for holding in that situation 1. decline the holding penalty or 2. accept the holding penalty which results in a safety with the exact clock and circumstances as existed anyways.

There still would have been 4 seconds left, the score would have still been the same and the Ravens still would have been doing the free kick.

I don't think the job of NFL referees is to determine if the team is going to accept or decline a penalty. If they see a foul they are supposed to call it.

I don't think the job of NFL referees is to determine if the team is going to accept or decline a penalty. If they see a foul they are supposed to call it.

In nearly every other situation yes. in that specific one it is irrelevant. Besides they weren't calling holding at all in that game period. Not once. Both teams were holding all night long and it was never called once.

Baltimore held like crazy on their kick return TD

On San Francisco's last drive they ran 9 plays 7 of them had blatant and massive holds that had direct impact on the outcome of the play.

None were called. If they weren't going to call the ones that mattered why would they bother to call the one that was completely irrelevant?

The officiating in general was lousy across the board. Poor spots. When they had that fight after the int I saw one baltimore player jump up and shove thinking it was another player but it was the ref he sent flying and no penalty was called on him (the two flags had already been thrown as I was watching CBS.com 22 player cam). That said the only thing that hurt the game's enjoyment was the power out (at least from a neutral fan's perspective).

But I forgot Koch played for Baltimore until he lined up for that final punt so I had to cheer for the Ravens.