WALK-ON LB Jack Fordon

I hope posting a topic on a walk on player isn't frowned upon but look at this kid's height, weight, 40, bench, and squat. Compared to the likes of Banderas, Fordon is a superior athlete. Maybe with some Huskers coaching we have found ourselves a gem. I really do have high hopes for this kid. Once again sorry if this is frowned upon but why not show a walk on stud some love?

Good fundamental tackler. I don't care what kind of athlete any of these scholarship players think they are, we looked like a pretty weak bunch when it came to tackling last year. If this kid gets an understanding of his responsibilities in this defense then look out everybody else, this team is desperately in need of good sound fundamental players. This guy looks like he could be one off the bat. Maybe even more.

I hope posting a topic on a walk on player isn't frowned upon but look at this kid's height, weight, 40, bench, and squat. Compared to the likes of Banderas, Fordon is a superior athlete. Maybe with some Huskers coaching we have found ourselves a gem. I really do have high hopes for this kid. Once again sorry if this is frowned upon but why not show a walk on stud some love?

There's a lot of "crap" posts on this board that say nothing. No offense to anyone. Then there are folks like me who have nothing of substance to add. God help us if this is "frowned upon". :-) Welcome to the forum. Enjoyed this nugget.

Wow, kid is a team captain, a four year player, plays middle linebacker. Nice find.

A "preferred" walkon is recruited and promised a spot on the roster, as opposed to kids that just show up via try outs or whatever.

Also, at least from my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong), "preferred" walk-on also indicates that the player might be on a fast track to a scholarship if they play well as compared to others who weren't specifically recruited and asked to walk on.

I think all walkons are told they have the possibility to earn a scholarship, but I agree that it is emphasized more with some than others. Whether that makes a difference in describing one as a "preferred" walkon, I don't know.

I do know that our coached do an amazing job of recruiting walkons either way.

A "preferred" walkon is recruited and promised a spot on the roster, as opposed to kids that just show up via try outs or whatever.

How many roster spots are available for Walkons? Is there a NCAA regulation, or is the limit simply however many the coaches want?

Edit: So, it's like being told you can totally come and be on the practice squad for a FBS school, with a chance to earn a scholarship?