Barney Moving to TE Coach?

HuskerZag

Out of curiosity, who are those two undrafted guys?

I can look up the 5 drafted. Carl Nicks, Matt Slauson, Lydon Murtha, Keith Williams, and Marcel Jones.

A living piece of Nebraska tradition doesn't make him a good coach.

Unless I'm off on dates, those were all Callahan recruits. Meaning they came in after Barney was here the first time around in 2003. And those four years would be in large part by the players on the roster from the tail end of Solich's recruiting. I don't see any of the oline guys graduating this year getting drafted.

What I do see is a lot of guys who have come in with star ratings, and then doing nothing, or transferring out.

Really? Have you ever heard of Spencer Long?

1 guy in 5 years? That's the defense? 3 walk ons starting on the Nebraska O-Line, completely unacceptable. He quite probably ran off his best guy before last season started.

Weird, sounds like an issue with recruiting. Good thing nobody has said that yet. =]

Since 2009

PPG: 25.1, 30.9, 29.2, 34.8

Rushing yards: 2059, 3466, 2824, 3547

Passing yardage: 2460, 2108, 2115, 2904

TDs scored: 40, 54, 46, 61

Sacks allowed: 44, 31, 21, 31

Record: 10-3, 10-3, 9-4, 10-3

So Barney and the OLine had one year of sub par offensive production, mostly due to a lack of recruiting(apparently all on his part) and a QB who lacked real fundamentals. Not to mention an issue with the playmakers holding on to the ball, a combined 133 fumbles in the last 4 years, thankfully for us the NCAA does not track dropped passes either. So yeah we should probably get rid of the bum.

Zac Lee was fine on his fundamentals. He might have lacked a few parts in his throwing elbow though.

I'll go with a number of people who have commented on how our playmakers and well-designed offense this year have largely overcome an average offensive line and put up good numbers in spite of them. I recognize that's a judgment and not a fact, but all these things are judgments to begin with.

Zac Lee was fine on his fundamentals. He might have lacked a few parts in his throwing elbow though.

I'll go with a number of people who have commented on how our playmakers and well-designed offense this year have largely overcome an average offensive line and put up good numbers in spite of them. I recognize that's a judgment and not a fact, but all these things are judgments to begin with.

Zac Lee and Cody Green would be the worst QBs on our roster this year.

Can you give even one example of this? Not another person's testimonial, but actual evidence. A particular play or series of plays even?

Lets also not forget that Barney took over an offensive line built to throw the ball under Callahan, then had the offense changed to whatever that was under Shawn Watson, and then again changed under Tim Beck. Entirely different offensive line prospects each year.

Does anyone even have a valid reason for firing Barney or having him leaving our program? I get so sick of hearing this.

Please watch the performance of the Nebraska Offensive Line from 2008-2012 and tell me what pattern you see in the offensive lines play. The pattern is that there is no pattern. It's wildly inconsistent play. You'll see the Nebraska Offensive line dominating Ohio State from 2011 and MSU in 2012, yet you'll also see our O-line helping South Carolina's already all-world DL out with a god-awful sequence of 3 false start penalties in a row and against Georgia, Rodriguez's masterful two-play sequence of getting a false start to brace himself for Jones, then when that doesn't work he holds the living crap out of him. I remember a couple times where we held SC's DL in 2011 so blatantly yet they still got the sack.

The point is, yes, the O-Line has had some good performances. But this is Nebraska, consistently elite O-Line performance is the foundation of this program. Our offensive line should not be talked about because they consistently dominate the opposition. The fact the O-line is a point of discussion is bad. At a big-time BCS school with the salary he's paid, he's not delivering anywhere near a satisfactory return on investment. It would be different if we were talking about the receivers coach but we're not. The nature of our program is that we value excellent offensive line performance over something like excellent Wide Receiver performance, and why somebody like Rich Fisher would get less crap from fans than Barney even if our WR's were worse than our O-line.

So let's see if I have this straight - we "all" agree Barney wasn't a great recruiter. We all agree he's had one guy drafted under his tutelage in five years. We all agree that several of his best recruits have left the program in the last couple of years.

And against that, we're putting "tradition," which boils down to, "He's been here a while."

I'm not seeing a compelling argument to keep him on staff. This is a results-oriented position, and we haven't been getting results out of Barney like we should.

Now, the argument is put forth that we've had some damned good rushing rankings the past three years, and that's in Barney's favor. To dispel that, look at the ridiculous talent we've had rushing the ball these past few years - Rex, T-Magic, Ameer, Roy Helu, even Lucky in 2008 - although that was largely due to Callahan's O Line, not Barney's.

Think back to how many times Rex has made some DE or blitzing LB look stupid when they catch him in the backfield, only to whiff on thin air while Rex makes five yards out of a three-yard loss. You put a regular mortal in those instances and the rushing stats look very different.

I have no beef with Barney. I'm just recognizing what's happening on this O Line.

• Fire 3

So let's see if I have this straight - we "all" agree Barney wasn't a great recruiter. We all agree he's had one guy drafted under his tutelage in five years. We all agree that several of his best recruits have left the program in the last couple of years.

And against that, we're putting "tradition," which boils down to, "He's been here a while."

I'm not seeing a compelling argument to keep him on staff. This is a results-oriented position, and we haven't been getting results out of Barney like we should.

Now, the argument is put forth that we've had some damned good rushing rankings the past three years, and that's in Barney's favor. To dispel that, look at the ridiculous talent we've had rushing the ball these past few years - Rex, T-Magic, Ameer, Roy Helu, even Lucky in 2008 - although that was largely due to Callahan's O Line, not Barney's.

Think back to how many times Rex has made some DE or blitzing LB look stupid when they catch him in the backfield, only to whiff on thin air while Rex makes five yards out of a three-yard loss. You put a regular mortal in those instances and the rushing stats look very different.

I have no beef with Barney. I'm just recognizing what's happening on this O Line.

^ This is a much better version of my post that is right before yours

Out of curiosity, who are those two undrafted guys?

I can look up the 5 drafted. Carl Nicks, Matt Slauson, Lydon Murtha, Keith Williams, and Marcel Jones.

A living piece of Nebraska tradition doesn't make him a good coach.

Unless I'm off on dates, those were all Callahan recruits. Meaning they came in after Barney was here the first time around in 2003. And those four years would be in large part by the players on the roster from the tail end of Solich's recruiting. I don't see any of the oline guys graduating this year getting drafted.

What I do see is a lot of guys who have come in with star ratings, and then doing nothing, or transferring out.

Really? Have you ever heard of Spencer Long?

1 guy in 5 years? That's the defense? 3 walk ons starting on the Nebraska O-Line, completely unacceptable. He quite probably ran off his best guy before last season started.

This. Not to mention a converted DL walkon starting at center last year to a replace a multi year starter. Developed depth? No. as evidenced by having to start said DL convert at center. No program in contention for their conference or the MNC is going to have 3 walk-ons starting on the OL. Feel good story? Yes. Will this result in us getting where we want to be? No way.

Do any of you even read everything I post or do you just read segments of it and try to decipher my hidden agenda for Barney Cotton? Pretty obvious not too many of the people commenting on this have ever played or coached football at a high level, and if you have you weren't a lineman or a line coach. Because I have watched every one of those games and I've watched them multiple times. Did we make mistakes? You bet. Was our talent sub par? Yeah it was. We've come up with millions of excuses for failures of the coaching staff in other spots, yet refuse to give Barney any credit at all. You think those losing seasons that almost killed our program didn't effect the OLine & the ability to bring in top recruits? Come on, be realistic. This guy has been an instrumental part in turning our offense and our program around. Anyone who says different, anyone who wants to say Barney isn't a damn good OLine coach, well you're just ignorant. But that's the great thing about message boards, you don't need credibility, you can just come on here and say as many misinformed things as you'd like. =]

Do any of you even read everything I post or do you just read segments of it and try to decipher my hidden agenda for Barney Cotton? Pretty obvious not too many of the people comenting on this have ever played or coached football at a high level, and if you have you weren't a lineman or a line coach. Because I have watched every one of those games and I've watched them multiple times. Did we make mistakes? You bet. Was our talent sub par? Yeah it was. We've come up with millions of excuses for failures of the coaching staff in other spots, yet refuse to give Barney any credit at all. You think those losing seasons that almost killed our program didn't effect the OLine & the ability to bring in top recruits? Come on, be realistic. This guy has been an instrumental part in turning our offense and our program around. Anyone who says different, anyone who wants to say Barney isn't a damn good OLine coach, well you're just ignorant. But that's the great thing about message boards, you don't need credibility, you can just come on here and say as many misinformed things as you'd like. =]

Barney is a subpar O-line coach, and his demotion proves that. I think your the ingorant person for calling others ignorant because they don't agree with you.

I also find it funny how you say something about people not being coaches or playing at the high level, but you fail to mention whether your either of those. You do state you watch the games, and you have watched them multiple times.

Barney is a decent coach... Superior, NO!

I guess the horrible pass protection we have had since Barney has been here isn't his fault either though, right?

• Fire 1

Do any of you even read everything I post or do you just read segments of it and try to decipher my hidden agenda for Barney Cotton? Pretty obvious not too many of the people comenting on this have ever played or coached football at a high level, and if you have you weren't a lineman or a line coach. Because I have watched every one of those games and I've watched them multiple times. Did we make mistakes? You bet. Was our talent sub par? Yeah it was. We've come up with millions of excuses for failures of the coaching staff in other spots, yet refuse to give Barney any credit at all. You think those losing seasons that almost killed our program didn't effect the OLine & the ability to bring in top recruits? Come on, be realistic. This guy has been an instrumental part in turning our offense and our program around. Anyone who says different, anyone who wants to say Barney isn't a damn good OLine coach, well you're just ignorant. But that's the great thing about message boards, you don't need credibility, you can just come on here and say as many misinformed things as you'd like. =]

morganfingfreeman.gif

• Fire 1

We've been able to bring in pretty good recruits. They just leave early, or get passed over by walk-ons. You think those losing seasons that almost killed our program didn't affect other positions and the ability to bring in top recruits?