Barney Moving to TE Coach?

HuskerZag

Interesting. Sure seems like a promotion to me. Please note he also got a nice raise. He will officially do some of the game planning, scout work, in game adjustments. This is lessening Beck's load and leveraging Cotton's experience as OC and run game background. I think it makes sense. If Cotton is having trouble relating to kids or teaching technique then this move lessens that. Everyone should be happy.

I totally understand moving him to open up positions for more coaches, but to say he's a bad coach, I just don't agree. There are 7 (5 drafted) Nebraska offensive lineman in the NFL since Barney came back to Nebraska in 2008, you know how many we had during the 5 years he was not at Nebraska....ZERO! Not to mention you have a living piece of Nebraska tradition on your coaching staff. If he's not a good recruiter that's fine, don't have him recruit! But to say he isn't a good coach is just asinine.

how many of those guys were recruited by him? i dont think he has done much with the guys he has brought in but to be fair he is not a bad coach just average and nebraska fans want someone who is going to be exceptional especially when it come to the O-line its been a while since the pipeline days and fans want more out of the offensive front

So we've established he's not a great recruiter, I acknowledged that already. In what ways has Barney been average? This is what I'm saying, nobody has given a single valid opinion with any factual evidence as to where Barney has faltered in his coaching.

i would say when you have to start 3 walk ons on your offensive line and have failed to have a deep rotation in previous years there is a problem with coaching the guys on the roster i'm not trying to give you a hard time but i dont think a bunch of late round draft picks that dont play make you an above average coach also i dont think Nicks ever played under cotton he left after his junior year

So all of our walk-ons that have thrived at NU over the years only played because of poor coaching of our scholarship players? Or could it be that these players wanted it more than the others. Or maybe they we're easier to coach up easier than the others. Or, or, or, or.

I just feel its BS when people say crap like this.

How do two OL coaches fail when they have three walk-ons start?

i would say when you have to start 3 walk ons on your offensive line and have failed to have a deep rotation in previous years there is a problem with coaching the guys on the roster i'm not trying to give you a hard time but i dont think a bunch of late round draft picks that dont play make you an above average coach also i dont think Nicks ever played under cotton he left after his junior year

So all of our walk-ons that have thrived at NU over the years only played because of poor coaching of our scholarship players? Or could it be that these players wanted it more than the others. Or maybe they we're easier to coach up easier than the others. Or, or, or, or.

Yeah, our coaches only did a good job of coaching the walk-ons so they really improved. They basically ignored the scholarship players.

Yeah, our coaches only did a good job of coaching the walk-ons so they really improved. They basically ignored the scholarship players.

Perhaps, also could simply mean that the walk ons wanted it more. If you look at the positions, except for Spencer, most walk ons were older and took advantage of opportunities at Guard and Center. Choi was a bit older than the other talented options, Reeves, Cotton, etc., except for Arod who simply is an inigma. Spencer is just simply a stud as can be attested by his 2nd Team AA status, any player, scholarship or not, would have a real challenge to have ascended ahead of him. Justin Jackson was Sr. who had talent, but refused to let anyone beat him out for an open position and played some pretty good football. When his back ups came in and played pretty well, I think that showed just how good JJ was to lock down the starting job.

I totally understand moving him to open up positions for more coaches, but to say he's a bad coach, I just don't agree. There are 7 (5 drafted) Nebraska offensive lineman in the NFL since Barney came back to Nebraska in 2008, you know how many we had during the 5 years he was not at Nebraska....ZERO! Not to mention you have a living piece of Nebraska tradition on your coaching staff. If he's not a good recruiter that's fine, don't have him recruit! But to say he isn't a good coach is just asinine.

how many of those guys were recruited by him? i dont think he has done much with the guys he has brought in but to be fair he is not a bad coach just average and nebraska fans want someone who is going to be exceptional especially when it come to the O-line its been a while since the pipeline days and fans want more out of the offensive front

So we've established he's not a great recruiter, I acknowledged that already. In what ways has Barney been average? This is what I'm saying, nobody has given a single valid opinion with any factual evidence as to where Barney has faltered in his coaching.

from what i've heard from people on here is that Garrison is the one that works with the walk ons not sure if its true but i've read it on the board if it is then giving him more responsibility should be a great thing

Perhaps, also could simply mean that the walk ons wanted it more. If you look at the positions, except for Spencer, most walk ons were older and took advantage of opportunities at Guard and Center. Choi was a bit older than the other talented options, Reeves, Cotton, etc., except for Arod who simply is an inigma. Spencer is just simply a stud as can be attested by his 2nd Team AA status, any player, scholarship or not, would have a real challenge to have ascended ahead of him. Justin Jackson was Sr. who had talent, but refused to let anyone beat him out for an open position and played some pretty good football. When his back ups came in and played pretty well, I think that showed just how good JJ was to lock down the starting job.

i'm not trying to take anything away from what the walk ons did they play there ass off and earned a starting job but if nebraska is gonna get to where it wants to be then it has to start getting more out of its offensive line than it has, its been good not great i couldnt be more impressed than what guys like choi, jackson and spencer have done but i would like to see NU get more out of some of it players

I dont care if I or anyone else "Really Knows" if Barney is a good coach or not! That facts are, our O-line's the past 5 years have flat out sucked! Lack of discipline alone is enough to get rid of him! It's atrocious! And I dont make excuses for other position coaches at all! The fact is no other position coach has produced big turds on the field in production like our o-line coach has! Only after Garrison and Stai has improvement been noticable! Anyone denying this is a flat out liar or they have their heads in the sand like one person on this board!

I just hope he doesn't ruin other positions! I mean duh... common sense says, they placed him in the best position they thought he could do and if he couldn't do OL coach effectively, then what the hell is he going to do to the TE's? I like Barney! I believe he is a loyal Husker guy, there is simply something missing in how he coaches and it being absorbed by the players? I obviously don't know what it is, but discipline problems being consistent translates into something not getting coached or absorbed by the players that transfers to game day? Baffling but true!

I just hope he doesn't ruin other positions! I mean duh... common sense says, they placed him in the best position they thought he could do and if he couldn't do OL coach effectively, then what the hell is he going to do to the TE's? I like Barney! I believe he is a loyal Husker guy, there is simply something missing in how he coaches and it being absorbed by the players? I obviously don't know what it is, but discipline problems being consistent translates into something not getting coached or absorbed by the players that transfers to game day? Baffling but true!

Amazing!

I dont care if I or anyone else "Really Knows" if Barney is a good coach or not! That facts are, our O-line's the past 5 years have flat out sucked! Lack of discipline alone is enough to get rid of him! It's atrocious! And I dont make excuses for other position coaches at all! The fact is no other position coach has produced big turds on the field in production like our o-line coach has! Only after Garrison and Stai has improvement been noticable! Anyone denying this is a flat out liar or they have their heads in the sand like one person on this board!

So, I the OL flat out sucked the last five years, doesn't that mean Garrison/Stai sucked at coaching this past years also?

So let's see if I have this straight - we "all" agree Barney wasn't a great recruiter. We all agree he's had one guy drafted under his tutelage in five years. We all agree that several of his best recruits have left the program in the last couple of years.

And against that, we're putting "tradition," which boils down to, "He's been here a while."

I'm not seeing a compelling argument to keep him on staff. This is a results-oriented position, and we haven't been getting results out of Barney like we should.

Now, the argument is put forth that we've had some damned good rushing rankings the past three years, and that's in Barney's favor. To dispel that, look at the ridiculous talent we've had rushing the ball these past few years - Rex, T-Magic, Ameer, Roy Helu, even Lucky in 2008 - although that was largely due to Callahan's O Line, not Barney's.

Think back to how many times Rex has made some DE or blitzing LB look stupid when they catch him in the backfield, only to whiff on thin air while Rex makes five yards out of a three-yard loss. You put a regular mortal in those instances and the rushing stats look very different.

I have no beef with Barney. I'm just recognizing what's happening on this O Line.

Very well said, and I would like to add to what you said about Rex making the OL look better than what it is. Look how bad we were in Goal to go situations without Rex, he was able to get positive yardage with very little oline help. Without him, Beck was forced to call passing plays as we didn't have a RB who was able to overcome bad blocking. While people were complaining about the pass plays, Beck didn't have a choice as Ameer isn't as physical of a RB as Rex was. Beck was just working with the hand he was delt.

You need to read my statement Polar... I made sure to mention that improvement was ONLY evident after Garrison and Stai came aboard to help coach! That wasn't coincidence the last 2 years have seen an improvement over the first 3 yrs when it was only Barney! That makes pretty clear sense to me? Please don't take people out of context!