Barney Moving to TE Coach?

HuskerZag

I'll refer back to da skers' repeated comments to the contrary, but we've had this conversation in the past.

The problem with his comments to the contrary is they didn't come until after the fact (if they were even made at all?). He was even saying Barney was in charge of the interior, because he was. Until they started playing well, then it was decided he didn't have anything to do with it.

For some reason, I just find it hard to believe.

• Fire 1

I just think it's more likely you have your information wrong. Actually, I might have mine wrong too. I'm pretty sure about walk-ons and centers with Garrison. I'm not sure if that includes all interior linemen. I think the starters were the ones who worked with Cotton.

At least until they got overtaken by the walk-ons :lol:

Nope, straight from Bo's mouth. Cotton was with the centers and guards, Garrison was with the tackles and tight ends.

I'm not even saying this in defense of Barney. I just found it humorous how people decided who was in charge of what based on how they were performing. At this point, I'm indifferent to Barney's involvement with the team. I think he's a pretty average football coach who gets much more heat than he deserves. He gets the heat Papuchis and Els should be getting.

• Fire 1

He gets the heat Papuchis and Els should be getting.

This is true. We spend a lot of time agonizing over the offense when that's the side of the ball working best. We do this with Cotton, with Beck, to a HUGE degree with Martinez, all the while ignoring our defense which has been getting progressively worse year after year. It's baffling.

He gets the heat Papuchis and Els should be getting.

This is true. We spend a lot of time agonizing over the offense when that's the side of the ball working best. We do this with Cotton, with Beck, to a HUGE degree with Martinez, all the while ignoring our defense which has been getting progressively worse year after year. It's baffling.

coach papuchis has gotten his fair share of hate on here there has been about 1000 fire papuchis threads this year but you're right some how Els gets a pass i dont get it

Top 10 recruitng classes(Rivals) from last year, here's what they did on offense:

1. Alabama: Passing yards per game- 218

Rushing yards per game- 227.5

2.Florida St.: Passing yards per game- 264.9

Rushing yards per game- 205.9

3.Texas: Passing yards per game- 263.2

Rushing yards per game- 171.5

4.USC: Passing yards per game- 282.3

Rushing yards per game- 150.6

5. Georgia: Passing yards per game- 285.1

Rushing yards per game- 182.6

6.LSU: Passing yards per game- 200.5

Rushing yards per game- 173.7

7. Auburn: Passing yards per game- 156.6

Rushing yards per game- 148.4

8. Clemson: Passing yards per game- 321.6

Rushing yards per game- 191.1

9. Oregon: Passing yards per game- 222.2

Rushing yards per game- 315.2

10.Notre Dame: Passing yards per game- 222.8

Rushing yards per game- 189.4

NEBRASKA: Passing yards per game- 207.4

Rushing yards per game- 253.4

So Barney Cotton started three walk- ons and coached an offense as good or better than almost every team in the top 10 in recruiting from a season ago, I'd also add that the 10 on this list have been the best recruiting teams over that last 3-5 years as well. Our offense was almost dead even with Alabama and was better than Notre Dame, they played for the National Title this year and consistently bring in the best recruits in the country. Rosters full of four and five star recruits get the same production, or less, than an offense with three walk- ons starting. Hmm, must be a problem with coaching. =]

you will defend these coaches to the very end lol, but i think we can all agree there are areas that need to be worked on and hopefully with this coaching shuffle that will happen +1 for you sir

I get why people are averse to any criticism of any coach and want to stick up for Barney. I feel it's probably better to acknowledge that he's been average, and that he's had more than his fair share of time here to prove otherwise. As important as we all agree a great OL is to any team's efforts, I think it's OK to start expecting great OL coaching if we want the team to reach the heights I know we all want for them.

Great post - I completely agree.

I think it's a must to expect great OL coaching here. I've never been the biggest Cotton fan, but I will admit last year's line was the best line we've had since 2008. I know some disagree with my take on the walk-ons, but I still firmly believe we do not have a system in place (or the coaching) to have a dominant OL comprised of walk-ons. We need scholarship players, we need them to stick around and we need them to develop.

All things considered, when you average out the OL play over the last five years, it's been average. But we're in pretty good shape to have a great offensive line next year, and there's really no excuse for it not to be with the amount of experience we have coming back.

4 and 5 star recruits have quite the track record of success, compared to 3 star recruits.

Entitlement is an issue anywhere.

What we have here has been, IMO, a talent development issue. There's been modest success for a long time and most of it is a credit to Garrison's work with the walk-ons and interior linemen.

Since 2002 there has been 32 combined four and five star recruits that go on to become Pro Bowlers, thus they are not more succesful. Please do some research before you discredit what I have to say. =]

Top 10 recruitng classes(Rivals) from last year, here's what they did on offense:

1. Alabama: Passing yards per game- 218

Rushing yards per game- 227.5

2.Florida St.: Passing yards per game- 264.9

Rushing yards per game- 205.9

3.Texas: Passing yards per game- 263.2

Rushing yards per game- 171.5

4.USC: Passing yards per game- 282.3

Rushing yards per game- 150.6

5. Georgia: Passing yards per game- 285.1

Rushing yards per game- 182.6

6.LSU: Passing yards per game- 200.5

Rushing yards per game- 173.7

7. Auburn: Passing yards per game- 156.6

Rushing yards per game- 148.4

8. Clemson: Passing yards per game- 321.6

Rushing yards per game- 191.1

9. Oregon: Passing yards per game- 222.2

Rushing yards per game- 315.2

10.Notre Dame: Passing yards per game- 222.8

Rushing yards per game- 189.4

NEBRASKA: Passing yards per game- 207.4

Rushing yards per game- 253.4

So Barney Cotton started three walk- ons and coached an offense as good or better than almost every team in the top 10 in recruiting from a season ago, I'd also add that the 10 on this list have been the best recruiting teams over that last 3-5 years as well. Our offense was almost dead even with Alabama and was better than Notre Dame, they played for the National Title this year and consistently bring in the best recruits in the country. Rosters full of four and five star recruits get the same production, or less, than an offense with three walk- ons starting. Hmm, must be a problem with coaching. =]

you will defend these coaches to the very end lol, but i think we can all agree there are areas that need to be worked on and hopefully with this coaching shuffle that will happen +1 for you sir

Hahaha I guess someone has to defend them! All I know is I look at where we were 5 years ago and I look at where we are today, how can you be upset? Seriously, how can anyone be angry at what this staff has done in such a short period of time? Nebraska is not and never will be a Notre Dame or USC, we don't rely on notoriety to win. Our success in the past was contingent on patience, we allowed the program to set up a consistency, not based on championships, but by doing it the right way. It wasn't easy then and it surely is much more difficult now, but as a fan base we need to have a little faith. We've established an identity once again under this staff, the same kind of identity we held for 35 years. One based on winning. It may be ugly every now and again, just be patient and be happy we are winning games, the rest will fall in to place.

Do some research yourself ;)

Get back to me on the % of 4-stars and 5-stars who succeed vs the % of 3-stars.

Well every year there are 84 players selected to the Pro Bowl, so 84 possible spots every year and there have been 32 four & five star recruits total voted to the Pro Bowl since 2002. That would mean there were up to 840 selections available for them the last 10 years. Even if all 32 of those players made the Pro Bowl all 10 years (which they didn't), that makes up 320 of the possible 840 selections. Again, four and five star recruits are not more successful, mathematically impossible for them to be. =]