How has Twitter/Facebook impacted college life?

So, I am old and probably have a year or two left, but when I was at UNL and the football was amazing, we had to hear about parties from other people, either friends, or people in class, or in the elevators of the doorms, stuff like that.

So, now, if you are in college, is there a chance that members of a house will just tweet about a party, so that more people can find out?

Do frats have a twitter account set up? Do people that live off campus set up twitter accounts with the house addess and send out tweets to let people know?

It just made me curious, I would think it would be so easy to spread the word about it now.

Not completely relevant to what you're asking, but I was at the mall yesterday and there is an intermediate school right next to the mall that had just dismissed for the afternoon. In about 3 minutes of walking I heard the word 'facebook' mentioned 3 times while passing 3 different groups of kids. It just proved to me how powerful and influential it is to today's youth.

My house (not a frat, just a couple of buddies) made a facebook page for our house so that we can let people know if were having a party. Its set on private though, so only the people we want to see it actually do. Alot of people make pages like ours, but almost all are kept private. I hardly ever see public notices, too many weird and random people show up. But social media is a very interesting thing. Literally reshaping the way people communicate- businesses, professors, friends, etc. I have pages for some of my classes. Teachers seem to think it is the best way to keep in touch, especially for reminders or telling us class is cancelled. Businesses use twitter and facebook a lot for connecting with customers. If you complain about a business on twitter, oftentimes you get a reply from the company within a few minutes. It also provides a mass market for them to promote specials and sales. Also, any breaking news story you can find on twitter before it hits the mainstream news stations.

I don't think Twitter has much influence on college life as far as parties go. Some parties are put on Facebook, but not that many. It is still word of mouth. I would say the biggest difference from your time is text messaging and group messaging. Gets message out much faster and more private.

My house (not a frat, just a couple of buddies) made a facebook page for our house so that we can let people know if were having a party. Its set on private though, so only the people we want to see it actually do. Alot of people make pages like ours, but almost all are kept private. I hardly ever see public notices, too many weird and random people show up. But social media is a very interesting thing. Literally reshaping the way people communicate- businesses, professors, friends, etc. I have pages for some of my classes. Teachers seem to think it is the best way to keep in touch, especially for reminders or telling us class is cancelled. Businesses use twitter and facebook a lot for connecting with customers. If you complain about a business on twitter, oftentimes you get a reply from the company within a few minutes. It also provides a mass market for them to promote specials and sales. Also, any breaking news story you can find on twitter before it hits the mainstream news stations.

That is kind of what I was thinking would happen, a facebook or twitter account for houses, makes it easy. For the other post, I can't even imagine how easy it would have been in college to just shoot out a mass text!

it's made privacy more difficult to come by...

I remember in college, after games, seeing players out on O street, in and out of the bars, no big deal. Now, its like some jackass has to snap a photo of them and post it, then you get the lame reactions of "why is that guy not studying film or working out, talk about not caring about the team"

Also, this topic has now reminded me of this

http://www.theonion.com/video/facebook-twitter-revolutionizing-how-parents-stalk,14364/

Let me know next time you have a party

This guy's company specializes in tailoring social media for companies. It's an amazing marketing tool.

Haha alright were right in the bottoms. Were gonna have one the second weekend of March. We usually just do blacklight but we want to do a theme party sometime. We were thinkin a 70's or 80's party but those are sometimes overdone. My roomates weren't crazy about Golf Pros and Tennis Hoes idea. Anybody got any good ideas? And yes I agree, Im a marketing minor and social media is and will be a major marketing tool for years to come. It is crazy to think about how big twitter has become to many companies

Haha alright were right in the bottoms. Were gonna have one the second weekend of March. We usually just do blacklight but we want to do a theme party sometime. We were thinkin a 70's or 80's party but those are sometimes overdone. My roomates weren't crazy about Golf Pros and Tennis Hoes idea. Anybody got any good ideas? And yes I agree, Im a marketing minor and social media is and will be a major marketing tool for years to come. It is crazy to think about how big twitter has become to many companies

Where at in the bottoms? I'm in the claremont park apartments. Blacklight parties are always fun. I don't know how many people you usually have come but the problem that i usually run into is having majority of the people to participate. I hate when there is a theme and people are lame asses and don't get out of the box. You could do a "back in high school" party, where everyone dresses as their stereotypical self (Cheerleader, Jock, Nerd, Band geek, etc) or else i found this really cool idea online that i'd like to try sometime but it's something for you to think about. It's going to be a case of if you think there would be enough people participating. It's called "Anything for a buck" party. Basically round up as much fake money as you can, most likely monopoly money, and then give x amount to every person that walks through the door. Then the people will exchange the bills for something they want. This could include a body shot, a dance, a makeout sesh, a flash, a number etc. So people can make there own prices if they are interested and exchange fake money back and forth

Well were just down the street! Right on the other side of 10th and Claremont. We usually get alot of people and we have had halloween parties and such, so getting people to participate isnt usually a problem. I like the high school party that could be pretty fun. That other idea sounds awesome to, ive never heard of that. Thanks. Ive been to a couple of ABC (anything but clothes) parties and those are always a letdown. No one ever gets creative and dresses up

Well were just down the street! Right on the other side of 10th and Claremont. We usually get alot of people and we have had halloween parties and such, so getting people to participate isnt usually a problem. I like the high school party that could be pretty fun. That other idea sounds awesome to, ive never heard of that. Thanks. Ive been to a couple of ABC (anything but clothes) parties and those are always a letdown. No one ever gets creative and dresses up

Are you on the right side of the road just a few houses down if you turn in from 10th?