Patty melt...onion rings. Who does them best?

Just wondering your thoughts...I know everyone has a favorite burger and there is a thread on that, but this is my favorite pub grub. I'd prefer you listed a joint in Nebraska that does both of them well.

Here's how stupid I am. I was just back in Nebraska for 6 weeks (I live in New Zealand) and did I go to a bar and get either one? No. I got really crappy onion rings from Sonic and Runza, and never got one patty melt. (didn't get a Philly cheesesteak either, but that's another story)

Anyway, I was hungry for them both and just wanted imput so that I could search it out the next time I was home. My current vote is Patty's Pub.

BTW...no one in New Zealand knows what a 'patty melt' or a 'Philly cheesesteak' even is. Tragic.

Just wondering your thoughts...I know everyone has a favorite burger and there is a thread on that, but this is my favorite pub grub. I'd prefer you listed a joint in Nebraska that does both of them well.

Here's how stupid I am. I was just back in Nebraska for 6 weeks (I live in New Zealand) and did I go to a bar and get either one? No. I got really crappy onion rings from Sonic and Runza, and never got one patty melt. (didn't get a Philly cheesesteak either, but that's another story)

Anyway, I was hungry for them both and just wanted imput so that I could search it out the next time I was home. My current vote is Patty's Pub.

BTW...no one in New Zealand knows what a 'patty melt' or a 'Philly cheesesteak' even is. Tragic.

Patty's Pub is excellent.

Dinkers in Omaha has fantastic patty melts and onion rings. 2nd place in Omaha IMO is Barrett's Barleycorn.

How did you know my favorite meal?

The best patty melts and onion rings come from Chances 'R' in York, Nebraska (my hometown).

I've eaten there more times than I can remember and my usual choice is the patty melt with onion rings as an appetizer. Absolutley delicious!

York_Jen-Kuang-Chang_014.jpg

Onion Chips at the Tastee Inn and Out in Sioux City.

T_OB

Then up the street for a bag full of Charlie Boys!!?

Ate one time at the Chances R in 1984. High school football playoffs, on the way to Harvard, stoped in York for lunch. Don't remember what I had.

T_OB

Ate one time at the Chances R in 1984. High school football playoffs, on the way to Harvard, stoped in York for lunch. Don't remember what I had.

All sorts of questions ensues...

T_OB

All sorts of questions ensues...

If you were wondering about the "Charlie Boy," it is a very peppery loosemeat served by a hole in the wall bar in Sioux City. Quite a local favorite.