Collier fired by end of the season

Just a question, but does Nebraska basketball suffer from the same fate as Kansas & Indiana football? In other words, is the general fan base so in love with football (basketball at Kansas & Indiana) that is is almost impossible for basketball (football at Kansas & Indiana) to ever be successful on a consistent basis?

To me, the argument is almost ridiculous in that the football program is bringing in the money for some top-notch facilities. Thus, this should only help make basketball successful. You only have to look as far as the baseball program to notice this fact. Also, several schools (e.g. Texas & Oklahoma) have consistent success in both sports.

The only truism from this argument could be recruiting. That is, when whoever the coach is goes out to recruit top-notch basketball talent, they ask "why would I want to go to a football school?". This doesn't hinder baseball nearly as much as no school that I am aware of is looked at as a baseball school. Probably has to do with the fact that most of the top-notch baseball talent can go directly to the pro's from high school.

Those schools who have success in both sports, in my mind, have a tradition of being successful in both sports.

Can anyone name a school that has been traditionally known for either basketball or football and a doormat in the other revenue-generating sport elevate their doormat program to have consistent success?

No I don't believe it one bit. They said the same thing about baseball a couple years ago.

***SNIP***

Can anyone name a school that has been traditionally known for either basketball or football and a doormat in the other revenue-generating sport elevate their doormat program to have consistent success?

I guess much depends on definitions, but Arkansas was known as a football school - particularly in the '60s, '70s and early '80s (a number of Southwest Conference titles, some high rankings). The basketball team was...nothing. Frank Broyles hired Eddie Sutton, and he took them - after a few years, to the Final Four. Then came Nolan Richardson, who took them to the National Championship in '94, and to the final 2 in '95. Throughout that time, they were perennial NCAA teams.

Now, Arkansas has never been the powerhouse in football that Nebraska has been - but they were considered a pretty powerful team until the switch to the Southeastern Conference.

For what it's worth...

The "we are a football school" argument is so very WEAK...

All it takes is a COMMITMENT from the Board of Regents/Chancellor on down that the basketball program is to be SUCCESSFUL and QUIT MAKING EXCUSES!!!!!

EVERY other sports program at Nebraska has been very,very competitive at the NATIONAL level...don't say it can't be done!!!

It starts with getting the a young, dedicated coach (and staff) that will NOT MAKE EXCUSES and is willing to WORK HARD IN RECRUITING...implementing and running an offense AND defense that is PRODUCTIVE by COACHING and MOTIVATING players in practice to eliminate mistakes IN GAMES...PROMOTE the program from Benkelman to South SiouxCity...from Alliance to Falls City.

Absolutely no reason not to fill the BDSC with the RIGHT COACH.!!!

The Board of Regents/Chancellor needs to DEMAND that Pederson/Boehm FIRE COLLIER ASAP!!!!

The Board of Regents/Chancellor needs to DEMAND that Pederson/Boehm FIRE COLLIER ASAP!!!!

They might as well play it cool. If they lose to Missouri and then go 1 and done in the conference tourney, that won't be a very tough decision, because rumor has it, NU may not even make the NIT.

The Board of Regents/Chancellor needs to DEMAND that Pederson/Boehm FIRE COLLIER  ASAP!!!!

They might as well play it cool. If they lose to Missouri and then go 1 and done in the conference tourney, that won't be a very tough decision, because rumor has it, NU may not even make the NIT.

Whether or not NU accepts an NIT bid will let us know the fate of Barry Collier. IF an NIT bid is accepted, BC stays, otherwise (and hopefully) Barry is out.

Well one reason why we won't accept a NIT bid is because there might not be an invite to accept. Now that the NCAA is taking over the NIT, rules have changed and NU might just not be wanted...

Exactly.

In the OWH this morning, it lists UNI's coach Greg McDermott as a possible candidate for the head coaching position. The UNI AD has spoken with the coach about the Nebraska job and told him that of all the jobs in the Big 12, it would be the best. McDermott was coach at Wayne St. in Nebraska for 5 or 6 years in the 90's.

I don't really care at this point (of course, this is a few minutes after Barry gave to his favorite Show-me state charity). NU did adjust somewhat at halftime vs. Missery, but where was it when Gardner was single-handedly mowing NU down? Oh yeah, saving the TO for the last out of bounds play to...out of bounds. What a F'ing idiot. Shouldn't have even come to that play :steam

Someone post available coaches. A successful Lacrosse coach from Iran could probably figure out a decent b-ball game plan vs. a horrible Missou team better than Collier.

You know there's a problem when NU is up 11-12 pts. late in the game and you KNOW they are going to give it away, miss free-throws, lack discipline, make terrible plays, etc. dedhoarse

Oh great another mid major hire. I dont agree.

Steve Alford, Bruce Webber, Tubby Smith, Ben Howland and Bruce Pearl were all mid-major hires.

OK thats 5 out of how many mid majors that have stepped up.

Ive got one Barry C.

Just stating that not all mid-major hires are bad ones. Barry has obviously not turned out as well as those that I mentioned. :thumbs