Fox Sports 1 - challenger to ESPN to launch in August

knapplc

Fox Sports 1 To Go Live In August

The Fox Sports Media Group has an upfront presentation scheduled for this afternoon and is expected to use that platform to announce the launch of its first national cable sports network, Fox Sports 1. The all-sports network will go live in August, timed to the start of college football season and David Hill, the former head of the Fox Sports Media Group, has been brought in to oversee the creation and launch. Plans for the channel have been brewing for some time – News Corp. COO Chase Carey last month called it the “world’s worst kept secret” – but up to now details were scant including what sports the network would carry. According to The New York Times, Fox Sports 1 will have Nascar, Major League Baseball, college basketball and football, soccer (including the 2018 and 2022 World Cups) and UFC fights. Also, an in-studio show will be hosted by Regis Philbin who last week hinted at the prospect.

That's pretty cool, hope my cable provider picks it up.

If you have Speed then you will already get FS1. Speed channel is just changing names and adding new programming. Fuel TV is also becoming FS2.

Just looked, actually watching "Speed Channel" right now to see if I had it. First time on the channel and it is right next to the BTN. Now, if this channel is still putting hydraulics on toy haulers instead of showing college football in August, I'm going to kick you in your digital nuts.... :funnyhahah

Yes! Competition sparks improvement and change. Maybe ESPN will realize that they need to get their sh#t together. Of course, FS1 needs to actually have some good programming to challenge. Here's hoping.

This also means our satellite/cable bills will be going up. I would much rather have ESPN have everything and they get a big price per subscriber than multiple sports channels getting quite a bit per month per subscriber. All these sports networks drive up the cost of tv deals and we have to suffer in the end. It stinks.