Let's talk about Wisconsin

You have a head coach, that knows what it is to be a head coach, you have an established AD that knows the program as he built it. He hired who fit what he wanted. My guess is he knows a little more about who he hired than we do.

Those losses were lessons, and obviously learned. I seem to remember them playing pretty good against our team.

A new coach is always a hurdle, but having one with experience makes it a lot easier.

Yet being only a casual observer, I hear we will have a great defense this year. From players that have never seen the field at the college level.

If it works here, why not at Wisconsin?

I am not that close to Wisconsin by any means. But they progressed as the year went along, made it to the Rose Bowl and played a pretty good team and played them close. I still would bet money that they will be in the hunt for CCG, Ohio State will win their division, but Alverez will not let them lay down on the job.

Far more qualified, and going into a pretty stable situation. A AD that is actively involved with the program, and a pretty happy fan base.

Bo did not have the luxury Anderson is getting. Bo had/has a tough road to hoe. He gives it his all, but just not there to give. No experience at the HC level is a tough nut to crack. Given a major program, with all of us demanding fans is tough. I think he needs more time, I am on the two year mark. Two years after this year if he has not returned us to the old Nebraska, he is not going to. Is that good enough for most. I think if he gets where we are always competitive, keeps the program out of NCAA sanctions/inquires he has the job for ever. But if the blow outs continue, I do not think he will get three more years to do it. Wisconsin has the advantage now as I see it. I think Anderson will make it a quick transition. He knows college football, knows how to recruit and has dealt with young kids as a Head Coach. I do not expect them to fall much if at all.

This is my problem.

What is the "old Nebraska"? Define that please. And dont say 90's, because I know youre smarter than that.

I disagree with some who say the coaching change will impact them. If you think that, then you are assuming they hired the wrong coach. If they hired the right one however...they shouldn't miss a beat. Michigan hired the right coach, they won 10. A&M hired the right coach, they won 11 in their FIRST year in the SEC. Ohio State hired the right coach, they went undefeated. The program is not in decline. Wisconsin's been pretty consistent of late. I don't see any reason why the coaching change will impact that. They aren't going from the option to west coast, pro style to the spread. They'll still be a force in our division. One that no NU fan can truely say we've been better than.

So does that mean that Bo is the right coach for us since he won 9 games his first year?

Absolutely - I would say he was the right hire. Is he the right coach for us 5 years later? That might be debatable...what won't be debatable is that when he leaves, the program will be in FAR better shape than when he got here. Everyone looks at Pelini, and every other coach we discuss as 20 year options. That's not the reality of college football today. While we hoped that of him, perhaps Pelini was a stop-gap. He righted the ship as it was going down. That doesn't automatically mean he's the best man to admiral the fleet. I still hope he is, but regardless, Pelini has done a lot of good for this program. And the coaching search will be far easier for the next guy than it was for Tom after Cally departed.

• Fire 1

Totally agree with that KC. He has done a good job on turning some things around. Has kept the program clean, and the kids grades up and graduation rate up.

Old Nebraska for me is a team that shows up ready to play, that is physically at its best. The staff is prepared for any attack, and changes to that attack. May not be able to stop it but knows what is happening to them. A team that I expect to win, never go into a game, thinking we have no chance, or hoping we will get by someone we really should be considerably better than.

We had games that we felt we would lose back in the day, IE Florida State, Miami and Oklahoma, but there was hope that the team could do it. I just do not have that confidence in this program yet. Have heard the coach speak for the last 5 years. I bought into the Clownahan line 4 years before. I have seen Coach Pelini work miracles with other coaches recruits. I have yet to see that with his own. For me this is a big year, it has to end better. Win the games we are supposed, play those that are better respectably and let the wins losses fall where they may. NO CCG or bust for me. No 10 win demand, no MNC or BCS berth required. I just want to see a team that knows what it is doing, staff and players, give 110% every play. No more curb stompings is my main issue. I am old, not that many more games for me. I never want to see another game like Ohio State or Wisconsin again. If Bo is what most of you say he is, we should not have to worry about that.

Totally agree with that KC. He has done a good job on turning some things around. Has kept the program clean, and the kids grades up and graduation rate up.

Old Nebraska for me is a team that shows up ready to play, that is physically at its best. The staff is prepared for any attack, and changes to that attack. May not be able to stop it but knows what is happening to them. A team that I expect to win, never go into a game, thinking we have no chance, or hoping we will get by someone we really should be considerably better than.

We had games that we felt we would lose back in the day, IE Florida State, Miami and Oklahoma, but there was hope that the team could do it. I just do not have that confidence in this program yet. Have heard the coach speak for the last 5 years. I bought into the Clownahan line 4 years before. I have seen Coach Pelini work miracles with other coaches recruits. I have yet to see that with his own. For me this is a big year, it has to end better. Win the games we are supposed, play those that are better respectably and let the wins losses fall where they may. NO CCG or bust for me. No 10 win demand, no MNC or BCS berth required. I just want to see a team that knows what it is doing, staff and players, give 110% every play. No more curb stompings is my main issue. I am old, not that many more games for me. I never want to see another game like Ohio State or Wisconsin again. If Bo is what most of you say he is, we should not have to worry about that.

It's only possible to give 100%, but yes, I agree.

Let's not get into a technical discussion about 100% or 110%. It's a figure of speech more than anything. Both "means" the same thing. This may be the argument that drives me nuts moreso than any other.

Thanks for explaining your "Old Nebraska". I agree with you, and had hunch those were the things you would mention. I shouldve known better, but I wanted to make sure you werent gonna be one of those "old nebraska is kick everyone's ass and never lose" types of guys.

It's a fun game but not a rivalry, at least not yet. Maybe given some time the hate will grow but I still get more worked up to play Ohio State and in the past, Minnesota.

As far as the direction of our program; it'll be interesting to see how Anderson does things. I've been pretty out of the loop lately but from looking at his past and what Alvarez has said I'm optimistic.

It's a fun game but not a rivalry, at least not yet. Maybe given some time the hate will grow but I still get more worked up to play Ohio State and in the past, Minnesota.

As far as the direction of our program; it'll be interesting to see how Anderson does things. I've been pretty out of the loop lately but from looking at his past and what Alvarez has said I'm optimistic.

I have never believed "hate" needs to be part of a rivalry. I understand that it helps to create one, but don't feel it is a necessary ingredient.

It's only possible to give 100%, but yes, I agree.

Only possible to give 100% of what you believe you possess - it's the coaches job, and the team leaders' role to push the players beyond that. The additional 10% is what we've been missing for a while - it's what great coaching brings out - it's the difference between winning 10 and winning 12.

Account,

You know better than that. For me it is how we play the game, our effort, degree of perfection, desire to accomplish, the effort to overcome. Never has been about wins or losses. I never talk about the MNC we have won, or compare our record to others. We were once a proud program, that the whole nation looked up to or hated, but knew when the Big Red rolled in it was going to be a physical, in your face game and you better be ready because it was going to happen for four full quarters.

Bo can do that I think, but still has a lot to learn about being a head coach. We just have a lot farther to go than some think, I have been saying the exact same thing since he was hired. He has one of the toughest jobs in the country, and On the Job Training is tough at any level. Here it has to be a nightmare for him. I believe he gives every bit of effort he has. My guess is, is that he will not make it here. But from what he has learned here, he will become a very good head coach else where. I do not want him gone (even though I do not like him) he is doing as good of job or better than truly can be expected. Credit where credit is due. Now the wife, has a whole different idea about it. You want to see hate for a coach, she could give lessons!!! I have to deal with it daily.

To follow the tangent that seems to have developed here - "Old Nebraska".

For me, "Old Nebraska" more than anything else means that we were never going to beat ourselves. Smart, disciplined, well-coached, well-prepared. They blocked, they tackled, they did not fumble, they did not miss tackles, they did not drop passes, drop interceptions, blow assignments, commit multiple penalties on a drive, and they did not waste defensive timeouts.

Basically, they removed all of the intangibles and left the game completely up to a simple battle of talent vs talent. If Nebraska lost a game, it was because the other team had more talent on the field, and for no other reason, certainly no self-inflicted reason.