Thousands of barrels of oil leak from pipeline

i do not know the first thing about laying pipe (ask my wife), but are there no precautions or safety valve type mechanisms to completely avoid, or at least mitigate, spills?

Robot PIGS!

Have you ever felt the ground move under your feet? If you're standing in New York City, it may be the subway train passing by. However, if you're standing in the middle of a field in Kansas it may be a pig passing under your feet. Huh???

http://www.ndt-ed.org/AboutNDT/SelectedApplications/PipelineInspection/PipelineInspection.htm

-----------------

Bottom line is -- accidents are going to happen. When they do we need to keep perspective - and not FREAK OUT!

That certainly doesn't mean we don't have to sit by and let the companies that run these pipelines off the hook when a spill happens..........

We can enforce penalties/fines for spills that create an economic incentive for the company to take a proactive approach to minimizing spills ...while still allowing the business to be profitable. This burden/profit "balance" is the kind of thing they investigate before they approve these things. It's not all taking calls from special interest lobbyists.

But the hysteric mob mentality taken by the environmentalist, driven by the media and adopted by frightened citizens - is usually more interested in simply shutting down operations than figuring out what went wrong and how can we change to reduce the risk in the future (a.k.a. progress).

• Fire 1

It's not all taking calls from special interest lobbyists.

In my time at the state capitol it mostly was taking calls from special interest lobbyists. TC hired local firms and also brought in their own people. Ranchers from western/north central Nebraska rented tour buses to testify at public hearings. (Those people know how to party . . .)

It was a circus.

• Fire 1

i do not know the first thing about laying pipe (ask my wife), but are there no precautions or safety valve type mechanisms to completely avoid, or at least mitigate, spills?

I actually know a lot about it. Its my job. The 10 weeks I just spent in Malaysia was for a Shell project in Singapore. They are replacing a line that runs between two islands, a distance of a couple of kilometers. The total time to install the line will be a matter of weeks, and total a few hundred joints (around 250). The time spent proving that the welding will be up to snuff and reliable enough was 10 weeks. I had hundreds of pages of code to digest, and apply it to the welds. (My job is inspection of the welds with Ultrasound). we took the welds to a lab where they were tested for integrity, and simulated the stress over the course of decades. All of this is done under the watchful eye of Shell reps who audit every weld I run, and have the authority to over ride my evaluation. Remember this is just for the welding. The metallurgy of the pipe, coatings, how it is installed etc, is all looked at.

To answer your question, there are safety devices installed on the lines, like valves and the like. They also use smart pigs to check the wall thickness and for cracks. In the end the vast, vast, vast majority of pipelines run with zero problems for decades on end. Much like a plane crash we hear about it, because of its rarity.

Small blurb on my last project http://www.leightono...ml/section/6825

Edited by Canttakeitanymore
  • Fire 3

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steve-horn/exxons-skies-why-is-exxon_b_3010620.html

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has had a "no fly zone" in place in Mayflower, Ark., since April 1 at 2:12 p.m. and will be in place "until further notice," according to the FAA website and it's being overseenby ExxonMobil itself. In other words, any media or independent observers who want to witness the tar sands spill disaster have to ask Exxon's permission.

Seems legit.

http://www.huffingto..._b_3010620.html

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has had a "no fly zone" in place in Mayflower, Ark., since April 1 at 2:12 p.m. and will be in place "until further notice," according to the FAA website and it's being overseenby ExxonMobil itself. In other words, any media or independent observers who want to witness the tar sands spill disaster have to ask Exxon's permission.

Seems legit.

Yeah, actually it does. When it comes to the HuffingtonPost, you actually have to read the linked pages...and ignore most the other crap.

...restriction prohibits flight below 1,000 feet within a 5-nautical-mile radius over Mayflower.

Lunsford said the restriction was requested by local disaster response officials."They are using at least one helicopter to provide aerial support for the cleanup," he wrote. "For safety reasons, they asked us to protect the airspace 1,000 feet above the area to allow the aircraft to move as needed."

If a news copter needs to fly below 1000ft. to get a good shot of the oil to run on the 6 o'clock news, they need to buy better cameras or the spill ain't much to see.

• Fire 1

http://www.huffingto..._b_3010620.html

Seems legit.

Yeah, actually it does. When it comes to the HuffingtonPost, you actually have to read the linked pages...and ignore most the other crap.

...restriction prohibits flight below 1,000 feet within a 5-nautical-mile radius over Mayflower.

Lunsford said the restriction was requested by local disaster response officials."They are using at least one helicopter to provide aerial support for the cleanup," he wrote. "For safety reasons, they asked us to protect the airspace 1,000 feet above the area to allow the aircraft to move as needed."

If a news copter needs to fly below 1000ft. to get a good shot of the oil to run on the 6 o'clock news, they need to buy better cameras or the spill ain't much to see.

But..but..but...the big mean company is hiding something....right???

• Fire 1

http://www.truthdig...._oil_spill_sit/

Michael Hibblen, the news director for NPR affiliate KUAR, recounted to Mother Jones what happened to him and other media personnel when they attempted to visit the spill site with Arkansas Attorney General Dustin McDaniel on Wednesday:

It was less than 90 seconds before suddenly the sheriff’s deputies started yelling that all the media people had to leave, that ExxonMobil had decided they don’t want you here, you have to leave. They even referred to it as “Exxon Media”…Some reporters were like, “Who made this decision? Who can we talk to?” The sheriff’s deputies started saying, “You have to leave. You have 10 seconds to leave or you will be arrested.”

barbrady.jpeg

http://www.truthdig...._oil_spill_sit/

Michael Hibblen, the news director for NPR affiliate KUAR, recounted to Mother Jones what happened to him and other media personnel when they attempted to visit the spill site with Arkansas Attorney General Dustin McDaniel on Wednesday:

It was less than 90 seconds before suddenly the sheriff’s deputies started yelling that all the media people had to leave, that ExxonMobil had decided they don’t want you here, you have to leave. They even referred to it as “Exxon Media”…Some reporters were like, “Who made this decision? Who can we talk to?” The sheriff’s deputies started saying, “You have to leave. You have 10 seconds to leave or you will be arrested.”

Sounds like standard operating procedure. This one should be easy compared to BP blocking off as much of the Gulf Coast as possible . . .

I personally don't like the idea of shipping oil across the states via pipeline, but that's because I think oil is a dying commodity. I think natural gas, solar and wind are the future for energy creation. And for cars the next thing is going to Hydrogen fuel cells. And just recently Virginia Tech appears to have broken through on the technology to make it happen. We just need to build the infrastructure and build the technology so we can finally get away from oil.

http://www.dailytech.com/Virginia+Tech+Creates+Large+Quantities+of+Hydrogen+to+Replace+Fossil+Fuels/article30286.htm