Thousands of barrels of oil leak from pipeline

Oil pipeline breaks. dont build a pipeline.

Because Burlington Northern trains wont spill.

How often do trains wreck? Not that damned often.

By all means, lets roll some dice on ruining the ground water for a farming state so a few people can make a ton of money.

Did you even read the article?

"The Arkansas spill was the second incident this week where Canadian crude has spilled in the United States. On Wednesday, a train carrying Canadian crude derailed in Minnesota, spilling 15,000 gallons of oil."

• Fire 1

By all means, lets roll some dice on ruining the ground water for a farming state so a few people can make a ton of money.

"The Arkansas spill was the second incident this week where Canadian crude has spilled in the United States. On Wednesday, a train carrying Canadian crude derailed in Minnesota, spilling 15,000 gallons of oil."

I didn't read it, but I'm glad you did. The following article actually says 30,000 gallons: LINK

I didn't read it, but I'm glad you did. The following article actually says 30,000 gallons: LINK

The real number will probably never be found out lol

It's funny that the only way I found out about the larger oil spill this week was from a small snippet in an article about the smaller oil spill, the one that's been plastered all over the national media. Pipeline or no pipeline the oil is going to get to Houston one way or another, while none of these accidents are acceptable, I'd much rather it be pipeline. With the new technologies incorporated in future pipelines, it's the most environmentally sound way to transport it whether we are talking spills or the environmental impact of transporting it (diesel engines vs electric pumps). So if you are against the new pipeline you are against the environment, ignorant of the issue, or investing in lots of BNSF stock. :D

• Fire 1

It's funny that the only way I found out about the larger oil spill this week was from a small snippet in an article about the smaller oil spill, the one that's been plastered all over the national media. Pipeline or no pipeline the oil is going to get to Houston one way or another, while none of these accidents are acceptable, I'd much rather it be pipeline. With the new technologies incorporated in future pipelines, it's the most environmentally sound way to transport it whether we are talking spills or the environmental impact of transporting it (diesel engines vs electric pumps). So if you are against the new pipeline you are against the environment, ignorant of the issue, or investing in lots of BNSF stock. :D

This thread will die now.

This thread will die now.

Naaaa, there is plenty of room left in this thread for long winded and meaningless questions to divert from the core issues being discussed. ;)

• Fire 1

Notice the change in units of measure? 15,000 gallons is about 476 barrels. (31.5 gallons to a barrel) There is just a bit more involved to evacuate 22 homes, and create the pic from the top of the thread. The pipeline involved in this leak was 90,000 barrels per day. The XL is planned for 800,000. What is going to be more prone to epic disaster?

• Fire 2

Notice the change in units of measure? 15,000 gallons is about 476 barrels. (31.5 gallons to a barrel) There is just a bit more involved to evacuate 22 homes, and create the pic from the top of the thread. The pipeline involved in this leak was 90,000 barrels per day. The XL is planned for 800,000. What is going to be more prone to epic disaster?

Slow it down strigori . . . you weren't supposed to notice the different units of measure.

You're not telling me anything i don't already know.

I wouldn't have as big of problem with this if the US actually got the use of the oil. The way it is, we have all the risk for Canada to be able to sell their oil.

So make them build the pipeline to their own coast . . .

Honestly, I'm not that worried about the pipeline itself. We have enough pipeline already that us safe enough that must people don't even know its there.

Yeah . . . you don't really notice it until it fails. Which, eventually, it will.

OK, my bad on not catching the conversion of which one of these were bigger, good catch. At the same time it still isn't a question to which is the most environmentally sound mode of transporting the oil. If 800,000 barrels are demanded to be moved by the pipeline, 800,000 barrels will be demanded by rail if the pipeline isn't built (Warren already said they will move it if someone else doesn't). Nebraska already chose to move the pipeline from the most sensitive area (Sandhills), build the pipeline or we end up putting it right back in it via rail.

If 800,000 barrels are demanded to be moved by the pipeline, 800,000 barrels will be demanded by rail if the pipeline isn't built (Warren already said they will move it if someone else doesn't). Nebraska already chose to move the pipeline from the most sensitive area (Sandhills), build the pipeline or we end up putting it right back in it via rail.

It's not like the only options are shipping the tar sand by rail to Texas or shipping the tar sand by pipeline to Texas.

OK, my bad on not catching the conversion of which one of these were bigger, good catch. At the same time it still isn't a question to which is the most environmentally sound mode of transporting the oil. If 800,000 barrels are demanded to be moved by the pipeline, 800,000 barrels will be demanded by rail if the pipeline isn't built (Warren already said they will move it if someone else doesn't). Nebraska already chose to move the pipeline from the most sensitive area (Sandhills), build the pipeline or we end up putting it right back in it via rail.

Out of curiosity, I guesstimated that it would take about 16 trains per day with 50 tank cars each to get 800,000 barrels moved.

Out of curiosity, I guesstimated that it would take about 16 trains per day with 50 tank cars each to get 800,000 barrels moved.

Out of curiosity, why are you assuming that the quantity of tar sands transported doesn't vary according to transportation method?

You're not telling me anything i don't already know.

I wouldn't have as big of problem with this if the US actually got the use of the oil. The way it is, we have all the risk for Canada to be able to sell their oil.

So make them build the pipeline to their own coast . . .

Honestly, I'm not that worried about the pipeline itself. We have enough pipeline already that us safe enough that must people don't even know its there.

Yeah . . . you don't really notice it until it fails. Which, eventually, it will.

I know i haven't been in a discussion about this on thus board but that its what i have been purposing all along. It was a farce when they were claiming this was so we could use the oil. It will all be exported.

Even the jobs are a farce. How many of them are temp construction jobs? Once its built, we have the risk and very

ew jobs.

• Fire 3