Thousands of barrels of oil leak from pipeline

I know i haven't been in a discussion about this on thus board but that its what i have been purposing all along. It was a farce when they were claiming this was so we could use the oil. It will all be exported.

Even the jobs are a farce. How many of them are temp construction jobs? Once its built, we have the risk and very

ew jobs.

:thumbs +1

Oil pipeline breaks. dont build a pipeline.

Because Burlington Northern trains wont spill.

How often do trains wreck? Not that damned often.

By all means, lets roll some dice on ruining the ground water for a farming state so a few people can make a ton of money.

Just happened in Minnesota. With oil as the cargo.

By all means, lets roll some dice on ruining the ground water for a farming state so a few people can make a ton of money.

I'm not sure how often pipelines leak, but there are likely a lot more train wrecks and derailments than you realize. Many railroad routes run along side rivers, oceans and lakes, fwiw. Most trains don't carry hazardous materials, though. Or at least not high levels of hazardous materials.

It's really depressing what many seem willing to allow the oil companies to do, in the name of saving us $0.20 a gallon at the pump.

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2013/01/julia-sklar-reporter.html

Flaring is a way to burn off excess natural gas during oil production, but the process effectively wastes a natural resource while simultaneously emitting carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. As of 2011, more than 35 per cent of North Dakota's natural gas production was burnt off in flares, according to a study done by the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

I'm not sure how often pipelines leak, but there are likely a lot more train wrecks and derailments than you realize. Many railroad routes run along side rivers, oceans and lakes, fwiw. Most trains don't carry hazardous materials, though. Or at least not high levels of hazardous materials.

With all due respect to the train company, the ground was too frozen for the oil to penetrate through so the clean up is going to be relatively easy. But if this would have happened in the summer.........

If we WANT to get the oil to Houston, a pipeline is the smartest way to get it there. (and I would prefer if it didn't go through the sandhills.)

However, we don't NEED to get the oil to Houston.

How about this . . . if TransCanada insists that Houston is the only viable destination we have them pay a flat fee per barrel of oil transported. That money would go into a trust fund (up to a certain amount) that would be used to clean any environmental mishaps. Once the account is fully funded any additional fees collected go to reducing the budget deficit.

If we WANT to get the oil to Houston, a pipeline is the smartest way to get it there. (and I would prefer if it didn't go through the sandhills.)

How about this . . . if TransCanada insists that Houston is the only viable destination we have them pay a flat fee per barrel of oil transported. That money would go into a trust fund (up to a certain amount) that would be used to clean any environmental mishaps. Once the account is fully funded any additional fees collected go to reducing the budget deficit.

There needs to be income for the states that the pipeline goes through above and beyond what ever costs there would be for a clean up. If it goes through Nebraska, the state of Nebraska should get something for it being here. Space (even though it's underground) is just as much of a resource as the oil itself. Actually, I could even argue that the land owner whose land it is on should get something. It's his land and after the pipeline would be installed, he can't even go dig a fence post hole on his own land within 50 feet (I think) of the pipe without their permission and supervision.

There needs to be income for the states that the pipeline goes through above and beyond what ever costs there would be for a clean up. If it goes through Nebraska, the state of Nebraska should get something for it being here. Space (even though it's underground) is just as much of a resource as the oil itself. Actually, I could even argue that the land owner whose land it is on should get something. It's his land and after the pipeline would be installed, he can't even go dig a fence post hole on his own land within 50 feet (I think) of the pipe without their permission and supervision.

Sounds good to me.

So what happens when you mix oil and water again?

This:

BOB%20GULF%20OIL%20SPILL%20PELICAN%20COATED%20IN%20OIL%20ALIVE%20(OP%202)%20resized_Bird_in_oil.jpg

I can understand the problems a spill would cause with wildlife and environment but oil and water will not mix. And furthermore it's not like the aquifer is a huge underground lake or river.