* U.S. environmental agency categorizes pipe rupture as "major spill"

* Exxon shuts Pegasus pipeline after thousands of barrels spilled

* Twenty-two homes evacuated

* Second spill in the United States involving crude from Canada this week

http://www.reuters.c...N0CN00D20130331

Approve the pipeline, they said!

T5NKXIZ.jpg

:facepalm:

People who know me would think I would be all for the pipeline but I'm not. This is why. It's our f'ing ground water for christ's sake people. Use some god damn common sense.

Oil pipeline breaks. dont build a pipeline.

Because Burlington Northern trains wont spill.

How often do trains wreck? Not that damned often.

By all means, lets roll some dice on ruining the ground water for a farming state so a few people can make a ton of money.

Oil pipeline breaks. dont build a pipeline.

Because Burlington Northern trains wont spill.

How often do trains wreck? Not that damned often.

By all means, lets roll some dice on ruining the ground water for a farming state so a few people can make a ton of money.

China needs that oil.

It would seem to be an easy target for terrorists. I feel the same way about oil produced in the far north and shipped to the deep south.. We get very few jobs from this pipeline and the risk is significant. The oil and its byproducts won't benefit us greatly other than to go into the worldwide hopper.

Build a refinery up north and you don't need a pipeline.

Why would they need heavy fuel oil up north? This oil isn't for our cars . . .

Its going south to get to refineries in Texas.

Yes. It's going to Texas to be made into a type of fuel that the US doesn't use in large quantities . . . for international export.

Suppose they build a refinery up north as you suggest . . . what would we do with the end product? Build a pipeline to transport that to the coast?

(Not to mention that I'd venture a guess that the oil companies are quite satisfied with the proposed pipeline ending in a Foreign Trade Zone where they can sell it on the international market without paying US taxes.)

For the United States, these pipelines are all risk and no reward.

You're not telling me anything i don't already know.

I wouldn't have as big of problem with this if the US actually got the use of the oil. The way it is, we have all the risk for Canada to be able to sell their oil.

Honestly, I'm not that worried about the pipeline itself. We have enough pipeline already that us safe enough that must people don't even know its there.