Assortative Mating

Logic is flawed. Ivy League/upper-crust women will want Ivy League/upper-crust men since they are more likely to value the man's financial situation, family name, potential to make more money, possibly ambition, and because it is what she was told that she should do. Ive League/upper-crust men (or men in general) will use their esteemed status to date the hottest women possible, regardless of social status. Ones that don't are essentially Ivy League women.

Ive League/upper-crust men (or men in general) will use their esteemed status to date the hottest women possible, regardless of social status.

That's sort of the opposite of what Douthat was saying . . .

Dating? You might be right. Marrying? I don't think that what you're saying is correct.

Ive League/upper-crust men (or men in general) will use their esteemed status to date the hottest women possible, regardless of social status.

Dating? You might be right. Marrying? I don't think that what you're saying is correct.

I agree with Carl here. If that upper crust (Not sure why that term is being used for someone who is smart and does well in school) guy is at the bar to pick up the entertainment for that night......then you are right. But, for long term and to marry, then most of the time, that guy wants someone who intellectually is compatible/equal to him.

Most farmers that go broke don't do so because they don't know how to grow a crop. They go broke because of bad business decisions. That was true 50 years ago but even more so now.

I can honestly say that I don't know any farmers that have gone broke since the early 1990s.

That said, given current land prices I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a few more if corn prices fall back to earth.

For which...that really doesn't have anything to do with the topic you were wanting to discuss in this thread.

There is a higher percentage of farmers now who have college degrees than 50 or 80 years ago. Those people many times found their mate also in college.

I agree with Carl here. If that upper crust (Not sure why that term is being used for someone who is smart and does well in school) guy is at the bar to pick up the entertainment for that night......then you are right. But, for long term and to marry, then most of the time, that guy wants someone who intellectually is compatible/equal to him.

This may be true to an extent, but the guys are going to be screwing around on the side. Also, there is a movement in recent times of highly successful men choosing to forgo marriage as it is almost always counter intuitive to their interests.

This may be true to an extent, but the guys are going to be screwing around on the side. Also, there is a movement in recent times of highly successful men choosing to forgo marriage as it is almost always counter intuitive to their interests.

Makes me think of this line from Bill Burr:

"Is this the line to lose half my sh*t? Awesome! This is gonna be great!"

That is one hell of a huge brush you are painting with.

Makes me think of this line from Bill Burr:

"Is this the line to lose half my sh*t? Awesome! This is gonna be great!"

It may work that way for some men. It does not for women. Women who have any form of college degree practically want to see a W2 and a 10 year earning plan on the first date anymore. Even if they are working a job making $25k, no college degree, no second date.

I read the article and the comments thus far. I guess I don't get it. Of course Ivy leaguers are the going to gravitate to one another. Of course college, more highly educated people are going to seek out similarly positioned people. I don't think it's an overly conscious decision to try to maintain or increase your standard of living. It's just the way it is. If you stay in your small rural area, you're more than likely going to meet and marry others who stayed. There is nothing to be done about it, it's just human nature. I'm sort of amazed this guy got paid to write something so obvious or that the females article that spurred it struck him as a taboo subject. Gee, I wonder if all of this has anything to do with the "elite" and "upper crust" seeming so false and pretentious?

• Fire 1

I read the article and the comments thus far. I guess I don't get it. Of course Ivy leaguers are the going to gravitate to one another. Of course college, more highly educated people are going to seek out similarly positioned people. I don't think it's an overly conscious decision to try to maintain or increase your standard of living. It's just the way it is. If you stay in your small rural area, you're more than likely going to meet and marry others who stayed. There is nothing to be done about it, it's just human nature. I'm sort of amazed this guy got paid to write something so obvious or that the females article that spurred it struck him as a taboo subject. Gee, I wonder if all of this has anything to do with the "elite" and "upper crust" seeming so false and pretentious?

+1

There is a higher percentage of farmers now who have college degrees than 50 or 80 years ago.

That's probably true in almost every area of employment . . .

College is hardly a requirement for farming. Less formal types of education are perfectly adequate.

Those people many times found their mate also in college.

Some of them probably did.