Shatel: Pelini a point of pride for Nebraska, minus all the points allowed

“I believe in what we're doing here,” Pelini said. “I believe in how we do it, what we're doing academically, how we hold our players accountable socially. I believe in our mission statement, in how we prepare the young men for success, not only for the next four years but the rest of their lives.”

Entering his sixth year, there is a lot to like about Pelini the head coach, a lot of the Nebraska Way in what he's doing.

Now, if he could only hold Wisconsin under 30 points.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130413/HUSKERS/704139815

Great article. I wish you could have the academic success, etc. that we have had and still get national titles. Unfortunately I'm not sure that'll happen. Hopefully I'm wrong. If I have to have a choice, I'm okay with the 10 wins a year as long as we've got a coach who does things the right way. I'd rather be Nebraska than Alabama. You look at that program, at its players, and you just know there are things going on there that are not the Nebraska way. Some day they'll get caught and it'll all come crashing down.

I mostly like Pelini, I just think he needs to be smarter. He tends to be needlessly confrontational with reporters and fans, and this is what people see on a day to day basis. They hear him saying NU fans expect too much, or they are more critical than LSU, or blaming fans' emotions for the players emotions after big wins or big losses. It just comes off as excuses and whining on Pelini's part. They hear him making comments after the first Wisconsin game like "Contrary to some what some people think, I didn't forget how to coach defense"... guess what, when you give up 63 and 70 points, people are going to bring that back up. Bo is a 6th year head coach that could still benefit from a few classes in public relations.

• Fire 1

I mostly like Pelini, I just think he needs to be smarter. He tends to be needlessly confrontational with reporters and fans, and this is what people see on a day to day basis. They hear him saying NU fans expect too much, or they are more critical than LSU, or blaming fans' emotions for the players emotions after big wins or big losses. It just comes off as excuses and whining on Pelini's part. They hear him making comments after the first Wisconsin game like "Contrary to some what some people think, I didn't forget how to coach defense"... guess what, when you give up 63 and 70 points, people are going to bring that back up. Bo is a 6th year head coach that could still benefit from a few classes in public relations.

Besides the Wisconsin quote can you please provide references for your other accusations of things that he's said? I can't recall any of those things.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/pelini-and-players-look-to-limit-riding-the-waves/article_78489e96-3769-5411-8c32-b79c3aac1161.html

“You tell your players: Don’t read the blogs, don’t do this and that. But they’re human, they hear it, they see it,” the Nebraska football coach said at the recently concluded Big Ten Media Days. “I as much worry about it when things are going good as when things are going bad … because they ride the waves.

“You guys know. Not just the media, but I’m talking with the fan base, or in town. You play good and you’re the ’85 Bears. You lose and the sky is falling. Or you don’t play well and the world’s coming to an end. There’s not a lot of middle ground.”

“LSU is into it, Oklahoma was into it,” Pelini said. “But the constant seven days a week, 365 days a year, it’s different here than those places. It’s not as constant a barrage of it at some of the others places I’ve been. It’s kind of compartmentalized a little bit where the players aren’t slammed over the head with it every day of the year. That is a challenge here.

“But it just is the way it is. It’s not going away. And believe me, the fans' passion for it, and the media, that’s a positive. But there are issues with that, too, that relate to our football team and how you keep them focused and heading in a certain direction.”

Besides the Wisconsin quote can you please provide references for your other accusations of things that he's said? I can't recall any of those things.

Same here. I would like specific quotes of when he's been needlessly confrontational with fans.

Media? Sure he has. But he's a firey guy. He wears his emotions on his sleeves. As a media person, if you dont wanna get hollared at, then dont ask such a stupid ass question.

• Fire 1

http://journalstar.c...9c3aac1161.html

“You tell your players: Don’t read the blogs, don’t do this and that. But they’re human, they hear it, they see it,” the Nebraska football coach said at the recently concluded Big Ten Media Days. “I as much worry about it when things are going good as when things are going bad … because they ride the waves.

“You guys know. Not just the media, but I’m talking with the fan base, or in town. You play good and you’re the ’85 Bears. You lose and the sky is falling. Or you don’t play well and the world’s coming to an end. There’s not a lot of middle ground.”

“LSU is into it, Oklahoma was into it,” Pelini said. “But the constant seven days a week, 365 days a year, it’s different here than those places. It’s not as constant a barrage of it at some of the others places I’ve been. It’s kind of compartmentalized a little bit where the players aren’t slammed over the head with it every day of the year. That is a challenge here.

“But it just is the way it is. It’s not going away. And believe me, the fans' passion for it, and the media, that’s a positive. But there are issues with that, too, that relate to our football team and how you keep them focused and heading in a certain direction.”

He says it's a positive and describes how it is. How is this whining or being "confrantational"?

“It rips me apart,” Pelini said. “You know how bad I want to win. But I'm never going to compromise my values, the values of this institution. And I don't believe you have to."

“There's going to be criticism. I think the priorities in our society are a little screwed up, and it becomes easy to compromise values in order to appease the masses. I can say this: That will not happen here. I'd rather lose my job than go down that road, just for the sake of appeasing people.”

Some here on Huskerboard don't have this same moral fiber. I love me some Bo Pelini.

• Fire 1

http://journalstar.c...9c3aac1161.html

He says it's a positive and describes how it is. How is this whining or being "confrantational"?

Yea, it's kind of like saying "No offense, but you're fat. What?! You can't be mad, I said no offense!"

Yea, it's kind of like saying "No offense, but you're fat. What?! You can't be mad, I said no offense!"

It's more like saying "Hey, here is a true and accurate statement that has pros and cons."

From a guy that "points the thumb, not the finger", tell me how that isn't making an excuse.

It's more like saying "Hey, here is a true and accurate statement that has pros and cons."

From a guy that "points the thumb, not the finger", tell me how that isn't making an excuse.

Bo never takes blame publicly for a loss. He's always publicly blaming the players.

I think you are off base here, Junior. Describing a challenge of a job is not pointing a finger at anything. It is just that. A challenge. And anyone that is a Husker fan knows that it is a challenge. I mean, we, with the media created it. Nothing he has said points to whining or blaming.