Shatel: Pelini a point of pride for Nebraska, minus all the points allowed

I truely think that Bo is on that ledge right now that anything under 9 wins will oust him. Not that I think it's right, but it is a probability.

To think that LaVonte David, with his strip of Braxton Miller 2 years ago, and then last year up in Evanston when Taylor took over-that these guys have each probably saved Bo's career at Nebraska is not a stretch. Those were games containing situations that had they not been rectified the way they were, wouldve allowed the remainder of the season to probably spiral out of control.

I truely think that Bo is on that ledge right now that anything under 9 wins will oust him. Not that I think it's right, but it is a probability.

To think that LaVonte David, with his strip of Braxton Miller 2 years ago, and then last year up in Evanston when Taylor took over-that these guys have each probably saved Bo's career at Nebraska is not a stretch. Those were games containing situations that had they not been rectified the way they were, wouldve allowed the remainder of the season to probably spiral out of control.

For every "escape" or "saved" victory, there is another "shoulda coulda" loss. Texas Tech in 2008, Virginia Tech in 2008 and 2009, Texas in 2009, Iowa State in 2009, Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Washington pt. 2 in 2010, etc.

No point in only focusing on one side of that equation.

For every "escape" or "saved" victory, there is another "shoulda coulda" loss. Texas Tech in 2008, Virginia Tech in 2008 and 2009, Texas in 2009, Iowa State in 2009, Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Washington pt. 2 in 2010, etc.

No point in only focusing on one side of that equation.

I am focusing on those two because they are what they are. The season was on the brink at each of those two moment. Both games were coming off games where we received ass-stompings and perception was low, and we were getting handled quite well at the time. If those two guys dont make game-changing contributions, and we go on to lose those games in the fashion of which we trailed at the time, the season probably (but not necassarily) spiral into a 2007-like meltdown. Fan and player morale would've hit an all-time low for the Pelini era.

Eventually, Pelini will have to win or at least get a team to the national title if he wants to keep his job. I don't know the time frame for it, but I believe we're a university that still requires it's head coach to be capable of competing for and winning national titles.

Among many things I enjoyed about this article, the comment about playmakers is important to me. 10 years from now, how many people on this defense will we remember for their play on the field, regardless of NFL success? Few, if any. Some of our most forgettable years had some of the most forgettable players, so a lot of it has to do with recruiting. I think we've got plenty of young guys capable of filling this void. Unfortunately, and as I've said before, I believe our '08 class (which made up a large portion of last year's players) had little talent. And the young guys we had in the wings just weren't ready to compete, and they still may not be there quite yet.

That said, and to reiterate, I think we've got more young talent than we've had in awhile. And, Pelini has been doing things off the field the right way, for the most part.

What comes first, success or recognition?

I think you would have to look at circumstances as to why he didn't win 9 games. For example, if TMart got hurt on the first play, I'd say he'd be allowed a break.

I think you would have to look at circumstances as to why he didn't win 9 games. For example, if TMart got hurt on the first play, I'd say he'd be allowed a break.

If that happens and we win 8 games, with 4 close losses, youre right. If that happens and we go 6-6 or 5-7, regardless of the scores, he's out.

So, yes, youre right. It is circumstantial.

Patience is growing thin though. I feel it. You feel it. There's no hiding it.

If that happens and we win 8 games, with 4 close losses, youre right. If that happens and we go 6-6 or 5-7, regardless of the scores, he's out.

So, yes, youre right. It is circumstantial.

Patience is growing thin though. I feel it. You feel it. There's no hiding it.

It's unfortunate as well. If Bo was fired this program would turn into Tennessee where once every three years we were firing someone.

• Fire 1

Obviously he's not in any real danger of being fired right now, he has some rope, but it wouldn't hurt for him to buy a little more. Getting an at-large BCS bowl bid, and winning that game, might be the next step he can realistically take. A conference title seems to be wishful thinking at this point, and there's no rational reason to believe he'll bring home a national title in the near future.

Obviously he's not in any real danger of being fired right now, he has some rope, but it wouldn't hurt for him to buy a little more. Getting an at-large BCS bowl bid, and winning that game, might be the next step he can realistically take. A conference title seems to be wishful thinking at this point, and there's no rational reason to believe he'll bring home a national title in the near future.

Idk if that is really wishful thinking. I mean we were there last year, and we have pretty much the same offense we had last year. And if this years defense is even just average with the schedule we have then we have a legit chance at getting there again. And if were rolling going in to the game and we dont have any embarrassing losses like we did last year, then this team will be full of confidence and I think we would have a serious shot at beating an undefeated or one loss Ohio St. and if our young defense really gels and is playing well I think we would be capable of beating almost anybody in the country

Idk if that is really wishful thinking. I mean we were there last year, and we have pretty much the same offense we had last year. And if this years defense is even just average with the schedule we have then we have a legit chance at getting there again. And if were rolling going in to the game and we dont have any embarrassing losses like we did last year, then this team will be full of confidence and I think we would have a serious shot at beating an undefeated or one loss Ohio St. and if our young defense really gels and is playing well I think we would be capable of beating almost anybody in the country

The Dude- I have to agree with Huskerkansas. That's putting Ohio St up there on a pretty high pedestal and just assuming theyre gonna roll. We have to remember they were just a few points from being 6-6 or 7-5 last year, same as us. Theyre not completely unbeatable.

National Title? Yes, that is wishful thinking. But based on what we've seen there's no reason to think that winning this conference isnt possible.

The Dude- I have to agree with Huskerkansas. That's putting Ohio St up there on a pretty high pedestal and just assuming theyre gonna roll. We have to remember they were just a few points from being 6-6 or 7-5 last year, same as us. Theyre not completely unbeatable.

National Title? Yes, that is wishful thinking. But based on what we've seen there's no reason to think that winning this conference isnt possible.

We also got to remember that Braxton Miller is kind of injury prone, and I truly believe if we have a lb or dlineman pop him good a couple times early on and it will put him on lookout hurry up and throw mode and cause him to make some bad decisions.

That's a lot of ifs, and if they all pan out like that I agree with you. That's kind of what wishful thinking is.

That's a lot of ifs, and if they all pan out like that I agree with you. That's kind of what wishful thinking is.

I suppose it kind of is, I guess I thought you meant more along the lines of it is wishful thinking because it is pretty much out of the realm of possibility that we can win a conference championship this year, and I think honestly next to Ohio St, we are the next best team in the BIG and have the best shot at beating them and winning the conference

The above are my thoughts.

It would take the perfect storm for us to get to a National Title ala Ohio St in 2002.

Anything is possible.