Boston Marathon Explosions

What about a domestic "terrorist?" Who is going to determine this, YOU? I understand the laws and the Constitution. I don't think you do, and that is what scares me.

But you don't have to enforce them. This is easy to criticize when you don't have a "horse in the race".

Don't step on your richard, getting up on your high horse...

Because you can't critique law enforcement if you're not a police officer?

In much the same way that you can't critique a quarterback if you're not a quarterback, or football in general if you're not a coach?

You know that argument makes no sense.

• Fire 2

What about a domestic "terrorist?" Who is going to determine this, YOU? I understand the laws and the Constitution. I don't think you do, and that is what scares me.

But you don't have to enforce them. This is easy to criticize when you don't have a "horse in the race".

Don't step on your richard, getting up on your high horse...

Because you can't critique law enforcement if you're not a police officer?

In much the same way that you can't critique a quarterback if you're not a quarterback, or football in general if you're not a coach?

You know that argument makes no sense.

Sure, you can, you can critique anything. But the comment you make, which you have little or no knowledge of, that can define perception of you...

Que beating of chest from some to say "see he wasn't a terrorist!" Wouldn't have known that without some sort of questioning from the feds.

I think you are taking this incredibly more personal than is necessary. I was merely responding to this as someone who did not agree with the legality of waiving a citizen's miranda rights, no matter how heinous their actions considering all of the extenuating details, with whichever technical laws they are trying to legitimize it with.

And the FBI opened an investigation on the older brother before for no reason right???

Unless the story has changed on that, the FBI opened an investigation on the older brother at the request of a foreign government looking for extremist ties (the assumption was Russia had asked, but no specific country was given). What I read also said the FBI did not find anything, though I'll be the first to admit the FBI isn't alway forthcoming with information sharing. I haven't read anything on this for a couple days, though, so maybe the story changed.

Either way, it was a foreign government request that started the investigation from the way it sounded, not any particular evidence the FBI had already obtained.

Edit - I would also like to point out (to others) that police/military/whatever have every right to their own opinion about things. As long as they are following the laws/orders and properly doing their jobs, they can personally feel whatever they want. You don't give up your right to your own thoughts when you go into service.

Que beating of chest from some to say "see he wasn't a terrorist!" Wouldn't have known that without some sort of questioning from the feds.

This isn't just about Miranda Warnings. What about his other rights?

Can you catch me up here, I think I missed something in this discussion.

Also, at this point, he has now been "Mirandized", is that correct?

The Boston Globe@BostonGlobe

US Attorney: Dzhokar Tsarnaev charged: conspiring to use weapon of mass destruction against persons and property in U.S. resulting in death.

This makes me curious - what's a "weapon of mass destruction?" Found a definition at Cornell Law. Feel free to correct me if this is wrong:

LINK

(C ) Definitions.— For purposes of this section—

(1) the term “national of the United States” has the meaning given in section 101(a)(22) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101 (a)(22));
(2) the term “weapon of mass destruction” means—
(A) any destructive device as defined in
section 921
of this title;
(B) any weapon that is designed or intended to cause death or serious bodily injury through the release, dissemination, or impact of toxic or poisonous chemicals, or their precursors;
(C ) any weapon involving a biological agent, toxin, or vector (as those terms are defined in section 178 of this title); or
(D) any weapon that is designed to release radiation or radioactivity at a level dangerous to human life; and
(3) the term “property” includes all real and personal property.

Section 921 (from 2, B of the above definition) states in part:

(4) The term “destructive device” means—
(C ) any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into any destructive device described in subparagraph (A) or (B) and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled.
The term “destructive device” shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section
(2)
, or
of title
; or any other device which the Attorney General finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, is an antique, or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting, recreational or cultural purposes.

This definition seems broad, and probably is - intentionally so. But that also means the pipe bombs we used to make to throw onto the Platte river ice jams when I was a kid would count as "weapons of mass destruction."

It would also mean that any IED found in Iraq during the Gulf War II, Electric Boogaloo would justify the stated purpose invasion, unless I'm mistaken.

I'm mistaken. See zoogies' post two below this one.

This isn't just about Miranda Warnings. What about his other rights?

What other rights would you be referring to? Just my opinion but the day he decided to knowingly hurt innocent people is the day I stopped caring about his rights.

It would also mean that any IED found in Iraq during the Gulf War II, Electric Boogaloo would justify the stated purpose invasion, unless I'm mistaken.

The term has quite different definitions in the military and civilian contexts. Otherwise no nation would be allowed to field an army equipped with grenades or ... like, anything, without U.N. censure.

(wikipedia)

I would ask that folks stop referring to the MIT police officer as a guard................it's disrespectful to us in law enforcement and he was a actual police officer. Also, I agree with what's been said already, there is no requirement to read the Miranda warning to someone who is under arrest unless you are planning on questioning them about the crime they committed and using that information in court. The fact that some of you are upset that a terrorist who happened to become a US citizen in the past 7 months wasn't read his Miranda warning is shocking to me. He was/is a terrorist, he deserves no rights, and he deserves to rot in hell. They won't be using the information they get from him for criminal purposes, they are going to use that information to identify other terrorists who were involved, if there were anymore. I'm sure several of you that are upset about this POS rights also wonder why cops don't just shoot people in the leg..............don't be a terrorist and you'll have your rights to the Miranda warning and the Constitution. Unbelievable..........

BRI . . . you're a better officer than this. :hmmph

• Fire 1