Boston Marathon Explosions

I would ask that folks stop referring to the MIT police officer as a guard................it's disrespectful to us in law enforcement and he was a actual police officer. Also, I agree with what's been said already, there is no requirement to read the Miranda warning to someone who is under arrest unless you are planning on questioning them about the crime they committed and using that information in court. The fact that some of you are upset that a terrorist who happened to become a US citizen in the past 7 months wasn't read his Miranda warning is shocking to me. He was/is a terrorist, he deserves no rights, and he deserves to rot in hell. They won't be using the information they get from him for criminal purposes, they are going to use that information to identify other terrorists who were involved, if there were anymore. I'm sure several of you that are upset about this POS rights also wonder why cops don't just shoot people in the leg..............don't be a terrorist and you'll have your rights to the Miranda warning and the Constitution. Unbelievable..........

You should really delete this as soon as possible if you are a cop.

Good for your opinion........you're entitled to yours just like I'm entitled to mine, I don't give up my right to say these things when I become a cop. Most cops would agree this is a terroristic event and he doesn't deserve his rights. Would you think the same way if the 9/11 terrorists were US citizens as well? Some of you can't seem to grasp that there is a clause in the federal law that allows questioning for up to 48 hours in reference to terrorist type events and national security.

I would ask that folks stop referring to the MIT police officer as a guard................it's disrespectful to us in law enforcement and he was a actual police officer. Also, I agree with what's been said already, there is no requirement to read the Miranda warning to someone who is under arrest unless you are planning on questioning them about the crime they committed and using that information in court. The fact that some of you are upset that a terrorist who happened to become a US citizen in the past 7 months wasn't read his Miranda warning is shocking to me. He was/is a terrorist, he deserves no rights, and he deserves to rot in hell. They won't be using the information they get from him for criminal purposes, they are going to use that information to identify other terrorists who were involved, if there were anymore. I'm sure several of you that are upset about this POS rights also wonder why cops don't just shoot people in the leg..............don't be a terrorist and you'll have your rights to the Miranda warning and the Constitution. Unbelievable..........

I was following along until this part.

And you are in law enforcement?

Yes, unbelievable.

Yes, I am, and if you think it's okay for a terrorist to have rights that bombed the Boston Marathon it's my opinion you need to find a new country to live in. I'm not talking about criminals that do petty thefts, burglarize homes, steal cars, etc. I'm talking about a person who's brother has terrorist ties and that obviously decided to conduct a terroristic shock and awe event that killed 3 people including an 8-year-old boy, injured hundreds of people and caused mass chaos and confusion for an entire city, while throwing IED's at police officers while involved in a chase, killed one police officer, injured two and then was enough of a coward to possibly take his own life and not allow law enforcement or even the military, if it came down to that, to end the threat for him. If you think he deserves rights, you are actually what's wrong with this country. I DO NOT violate people's rights, they are allowed to their rights................several of you are blurring the line between local law enforcement and federal law enforcement and how that relates to a terrorist investigation and local charges. Again unbelievable for someone to be able to think that he deserves rights.............

So you are going to be the judge in determining who gets rights and who doesn't depending on your interpretation of how serious a crime is?

Well said. 1- I doubt they will need to use anything discovered while he is not mirandized to convict him. 2- They very well may learn some things that will prevent further loss of life or discovery of more accomplices. Seems to me they have this guy nailed cold regardless what he may tell them prior to being read his Miranda rights.. It is exactly for these types of situations that the public safety waiver exists.

The Public Safety Exception has an important place in circumventing Miranda right laws. This is not one of those situations where it is necessary, there is no longer an imminent danger to the public. It has also been made clear from everything I have seen that these two brothers are not part of some terrorist cell, they were under-prepared morons that thought they could outsmart the police.

And the FBI opened an investigation on the older brother before for no reason right???

I was following along until this part.

And you are in law enforcement?

Yes, unbelievable.

Yes, I am, and if you think it's okay for a terrorist to have rights that bombed the Boston Marathon it's my opinion you need to find a new country to live in. I'm not talking about criminals that do petty thefts, burglarize homes, steal cars, etc. I'm talking about a person who's brother has terrorist ties and that obviously decided to conduct a terroristic shock and awe event that killed 3 people including an 8-year-old boy, injured hundreds of people and caused mass chaos and confusion for an entire city, while throwing IED's at police officers while involved in a chase, killed one police officer, injured two and then was enough of a coward to possibly take his own life and not allow law enforcement or even the military, if it came down to that, to end the threat for him. If you think he deserves rights, you are actually what's wrong with this country. I DO NOT violate people's rights, they are allowed to their rights................several of you are blurring the line between local law enforcement and federal law enforcement and how that relates to a terrorist investigation and local charges. Again unbelievable for someone to be able to think that he deserves rights.............

So you are going to be the judge in determining who gets rights and who doesn't depending on your interpretation of how serious a crime is?

Go ahead and twist my words, you know exactly what I'm saying. I'm not talking about your normal run of the mill "murderer" if there is such a thing. What they did is completely different you know that you're just trying to twist things to fit your argument. Which is fine, I just don't agree with it.

Good for your opinion........you're entitled to yours just like I'm entitled to mine, I don't give up my right to say these things when I become a cop. Most cops would agree this is a terroristic event and he doesn't deserve his rights. Would you think the same way if the 9/11 terrorists were US citizens as well? Some of you can't seem to grasp that there is a clause in the federal law that allows questioning for up to 48 hours in reference to terrorist type events and national security.

What about a domestic "terrorist?" Who is going to determine this, YOU? I understand the laws and the Constitution. I don't think you do, and that is what scares me.

Well said. 1- I doubt they will need to use anything discovered while he is not mirandized to convict him. 2- They very well may learn some things that will prevent further loss of life or discovery of more accomplices. Seems to me they have this guy nailed cold regardless what he may tell them prior to being read his Miranda rights.. It is exactly for these types of situations that the public safety waiver exists.

The Public Safety Exception has an important place in circumventing Miranda right laws. This is not one of those situations where it is necessary, there is no longer an imminent danger to the public. It has also been made clear from everything I have seen that these two brothers are not part of some terrorist cell, they were under-prepared morons that thought they could outsmart the police.

And the FBI opened an investigation on the older brother before for no reason right???

What you just stated does not respond to anything in my post.

What about a domestic "terrorist?" Who is going to determine this, YOU? I understand that laws and the Constitution. I don't think you do, and that is what scares me.

No, I'm a local cop, I don't determine those things and frankly it doesn't matter to my local investigation. It matters to the federal government though, I understand the constitution, thanks for trying to go that route on me.

Everyone is justifiably angry about this. I'd caution cooler heads and reasoned responses here. This is a topic where well-meaning and well-intentioned people can say things that match the level of their outrage but don't properly reflect their respect for the law.

What you just stated does not respond to anything in my post.

Yes I did, there is a tie there or the FBI would've never opened an investigation on the older brother. It's not clear whether they were part of a larger terrorist cell, which is why the federal government wants to question the younger brother. There is enough to convict the younger brother for local charges without questioning. There's been several times I've received a conviction from the courts on a crime without ever questioning the suspect or reading them their Miranda warning. I won't even go forward with a case unless I have enough physical evidence to get a conviction on someone whether I question them or not. Have I gotten confessions from people before, yes, but I already had the evidence in hand to go forward with a case regardless of whether they confessed or not. Does it help to get a confession? No question about it, it does, but it's not always necessary. I haven't lost a case yet in 11 years of law enforcement by doing things this way.

And you know this because you have access to the internet? Odds are you are right, but why take the chance?

http://jesterscourt.cc/2013/04/23/boston-marathon-bombing-just-a-hunch/

My problem is not with not reading him his Miranda Warning, I fully understand the motive and complications of that.

My problem was with someone saying that he is not entitled to any rights and shouldn't have any Constitutional protections. Someone in law enforcement, makes it even more frightening.

And you know this because you have access to the internet? Odds are you are right, but why take the chance?

http://jesterscourt....g-just-a-hunch/

I didn't open the link, but I agree with you about taking a chance. If we can get some information from this guy that is helpful is stopping another one of these events, I don't see how that's a problem. As long as the information obtained in the interview by the federal government isn't used in court there is no issue IMO.

What about a domestic "terrorist?" Who is going to determine this, YOU? I understand the laws and the Constitution. I don't think you do, and that is what scares me.

But you don't have to enforce them. This is easy to criticize when you don't have a "horse in the race".

Don't step on your richard, getting up on your high horse...

• Fire 2

My problem is not with not reading him his Miranda Warning, I fully understand the motive and complications of that.

My problem was with someone saying that he is not entitled to any rights and shouldn't have any Constitutional protections.

My problem is it's okay for a terrorist to have rights? No, he shouldn't be a terrorist and he wouldn't of had a problem. Everyone is reporting it as a terrorist event so I don't understand the issue there and I don't know if I can see that there is an issue there. Again, we all have our opinions, we're entitled to them and there really is no right or wrong answer, it's just our opinions.