"High Quality Research Act"

http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2013/04/us-lawmaker-proposes-new-criteri-1.html

ScienceInsider has obtained a copy of the legislation, labeled "Discussion Draft" and dated 18 April, which has begun to circulate among members of Congress and science lobbyists. In effect, the proposed bill would force NSF to adopt three criteria in judging every grant. Specifically, the draft would require the NSF director to post on NSF's Web site, prior to any award, a declaration that certifies the research is:

1) "… in the interests of the United States to advance the national health, prosperity, or welfare, and to secure the national defense by promoting the progress of science;

2) "… the finest quality, is groundbreaking, and answers questions or solves problems that are of utmost importance to society at large; and

3) "… not duplicative of other research projects being funded by the Foundation or other Federal science agencies."

NSF's current guidelines ask reviewers to consider the "intellectual merit" of a proposed research project as well as its "broader impacts" on the scientific community and society.

"In the history of this committee, no chairman has ever put themselves forward as an expert in the science that underlies specific grant proposals funded by NSF," Johnson wrote in a letter obtained by ScienceInsider. "I have never seen a chairman decide to go after specific grants simply because the chairman does not believe them to be of high value."

I thought it was awesome because I got to benefit from it, but I got an all expense paid trip to Europe by the NSF thanks to my professor to gain international experience in engineering. Seemed pretty bad use of money, but I am not complaining from the awesome experience I got.

So Congress can't do basic background checks, budgeting, or really anything whatsoever, yet they believe they are the ones who can best allocate research grant funds on topics that they know absolutely nothing about?

Sounds about right, actually

• Fire 1

I think this would work fine if the NSF just had to change the guidelines to those proposed and then operated how they normally do. If they have to subvert themselves to how the government defines those guidelines--that is where the real problem comes in to play.

Because I could easily see the research I'm going to be working on as of September 1 being turned down by the government's interpretation of the guidelines if I were to apply for an NSF grant.

NO, NO, NO. The Senate knows exactly what the Army needed; 436mil in more tanks. Even though the Army didn't want them . :D But then the gov't is full of stories that stretch the realms of rational thought.

Change is a comin'.

Don't forget the umpteen new ships we were going to get from Romney. Nearly a dozen more ships than the navy wanted in the next four years, but that was what they needed.

That guy is the Chairman of the US Committee on Science, Space and Technology....

A response from Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson (D), also on the committee:

http://big.assets.hu...thNSFgrants.pdf

Todd "Legitimate Rape" Akin was also on the science committee, that has a distinct history of being anti-science:

http://pandodaily.com/2012/11/07/todd-akins-out-but-is-the-house-committee-on-science-space-and-technology-still-anti-science/

Last August, Wired wrote a post compiling a number of widely-criticized statements made by its members. It includes committee chair Ralph Hall’s (R-Texas) dismissal of climate science because he doesn’t think “we can control what God controls.” Fellow committee member Dana Rohrbacher (R-California) does think humans can reduce greenhouse gases, he just thinks the way to do it is by cutting down trees. Meanwhile, Paul Broun (R-Georgia) is given to fits of rhetoric when asked about science and nutrition, calling the CDC’s recommendation to eat more fruits and vegetables
and calling evolution and the Big Bang theory “lies from the pit of Hell.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/06/paul-broun-evolution-big-bang_n_1944808.html

"God's word is true. I've come to understand that. All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the big bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell," said Broun, who is an MD. "It's lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior."

He continued:

"You see, there are a lot of scientific data that I've found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth. I don't believe that the earth's but about 9,000 years old. I believe it was created in six days as we know them. That's what the Bible says."

And for the win (my personal favorite):

There’s a woman who came up crying to me tonight after the debate. She said her daughter was given that vaccine. She told me her daughter suffered mental retardation as a result of that vaccine.

Ladies and gentleman... the one... the only..... MICHELE BACHMANN!!

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/09/13/bachmann-gardasil-causes-mental-retardation/

Makes the state I live in so proud.