Tommie Frazier elected to the College Football Hall of Fame

Only one year too late, and more than deserved.

Big Eight Freshman of the Year (1992)

Orange Bowl Most Valuable Player (1994)

Orange Bowl Most Valuable Player (1995)

Big Eight Offensive Player of the Year (1995)

Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award (1995)

Quarterback of the Year (1995)

Consensus All-American (1995)

Fiesta Bowl Most Valuable Player (1996)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uYuIpKrxQnU#!

About time. Perhaps the all time MVP for the Huskers when you consider what the program needed at the time and where he took us. He came to the program when we could not win the big one - loosing I beliieve 5 bowl games in a row - mostly to florida schools. Tom made the defensive change and got one heck of a QB in Tommie - the rest is history. Noone ran the option better. "The Run" against Florida ranks as probably my all time favorite plays.

Congrats Tommie

About time. Perhaps the all time MVP for the Huskers when you consider what the program needed at the time and where he took us. He came to the program when we could not win the big one - loosing I beliieve 5 bowl games in a row - mostly to florida schools. Tom made the defensive change and got one heck of a QB in Tommie - the rest is history. Noone ran the option better. "The Run" against Florida ranks as probably my all time favorite plays.

Congrats Tommie

Broke 7 tackles on that play.

I always love watching that Frazier run against Florida, but the more I watch it, the more I'm struck by Florida's horrible, horrible tackling.

At that point they'd already given up, and Frazier can certainly take some credit for demoralizing them.

Yep. That is the single most overrated run in Nebraska football history. Florida had given up. Frazier was a good player, but he wasn't SO STRONG that he could pull away from a crowd of determined tacklers like that.

Tommie even mentioned something about that a year or few back. Said it was his most famous run, but not his best run. Cited some run against Colorado, I think.

EDIT - it was a pass against Colorado, not a run. It's at 1:20 on this highlight video. Watching this thing is disgusting. One man should not have that much talent in his body.

http://www.huskers.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?catid=33007&id=2379906

It goes without saying, but salute to Tommie on this prestigious honor.

Courtesy of HuskerOnline.com

***As good as he was on the field, Frazier also earned a reputation as a somewhat difficult personality for his teammates to get along with at times. Frazier said he was well aware of that reputation, but said he always was and always will be far more concerned with winning than being the most liked.

"I wasn't the most liked guy, but I can promise you this: when I stepped on the field I gave 100 percent and I led by example, and those guys fed off that," Frazier said. "To me, leaders don't necessarily need to be liked, but they can lead and direct and be respected. That's more important to me. I had the mentality and the attitude that I wanted to win, and I don't know any team out there that wants their starting quarterback to have the mentality where he's just out there playing the game and couldn't care less whether he wins or loses.

"I wanted to win. Did I tick some of my teammates off? Yes. But tell me any great leader out there - look at Michael Jordan. He's the best guy to ever play the game of basketball, and you hear stories about how he wasn't liked. I don't worry about being liked, because when you're on that field, it's not about who likes you or not, it's about you trying to do whatever you can to make sure your team wins."

LINK

• 1 month later...