Good news for us re: Obamacare/ACA

Heritage Uncertainty Principle? Brilliant.

This was the fate of every Republican health-care plan, a durable pattern I call the Heritage Uncertainty Principle. Republican health-care proposals reside in a state of quasi-existence, and any attempt to summon them into political reality will cause them to disappear. Their purpose is to refute the accusation that Republicans lack a health-care plan. The elusive quasi-plan allows them to claim all the potential benefits of health-care reform without having to defend any drawbacks. The game offers Republicans advantages they are unlikely to forfeit for the rest of the Obama era.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/02/lonely-death-of-the-republican-health-plan.html

Now, however, it’s official: as of the end of January signups were only about a million behind their projected track as of last spring, which means that as of March 31 the total is likely to be 6-point-something million rather than the projected 7 million. In other words, basically OK.

But here’s the thing: every online article I’ve seen about the latest numbers is followed by a huge number of vitriolic comments insisting that it isn’t true, that Obamacare is a total disaster. Some commenters declare that all the numbers are lies; others, getting their take from right-wing bloggers, say that all of those who have signed up but not yet paid their first premium – ahem, 47 percent of the total – will never pay and are fake enrollees. And so on.

You can’t help but notice the resemblance to the “unskewing” fever of the final weeks of the 2012 election, when everyone on the right knew, just knew, that the polls showing a clear Obama edge were biased and wrong, and that if you reworked the numbers somehow they pointed to a Romney triumph.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/unskewing-obamacare/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

• 3 weeks later...

Now on your restaurant bill: Obamacare fee

Several restaurants in a Florida chain are asking customers to help foot the bill for Obamacare.

Diners at eight Gator's Dockside casual eateries are finding a 1% Affordable Care Act surcharge on their tabs, which comes to 15 cents on a typical $15 lunch tab. Signs on the door and at tables alert diners to the fee, which is also listed separately on the bill.

Several restaurants in a Florida chain are asking customers to help foot the bill for Obamacare.

Diners at eight Gator's Dockside casual eateries are finding a 1% Affordable Care Act surcharge on their tabs, which comes to 15 cents on a typical $15 lunch tab. Signs on the door and at tables alert diners to the fee, which is also listed separately on the bill.

I wonder what they're doing with the extra money until their feared/predicted/possible increased costs kick in? Giving it to those employees, I trust.

• Fire 1

I wonder what they're doing with the extra money until their feared/predicted/possible increased costs kick in? Giving it to those employees, I trust.

i kind of wonder if this will backfire. i mean, if i saw it only cost me $0.50 more to provide healthcare to the employees i would be like, "that was what all the fuss was over?".

i kind of wonder if this will backfire. i mean, if i saw it only cost me $0.50 more to provide healthcare to the employees i would be like, "that was what all the fuss was over?".

But then how do you blame Obama?

The bitch of it is they could have just as easily increased the price of the food on the menu 1% and no one would have noticed. Attention Whores.

The bitch of it is they could have just as easily increased the price of the food on the menu 1% and no one would have noticed. Attention Whores.

Yeah. We really didn't want to charge you more (and increase profits for at least the time being) but that damn Obama!

If any of their patrons fall for a bull sh#t scam like this, they deserve it.

Did they also include the health insurance cost increases on their receipts for each year of the past decade of healthcare cost skyrocketing?

I mean what a dumb political attention-whoring move. And crazy Republicans are out there not only falling for the ruse, but fist-pumping about it.

I mean what a dumb political attention-whoring move. And crazy Republicans are out there not only falling for the ruse, but fist-pumping about it.

but a good conservative may support this in principle, but are they going to eat someplace where they have to pay more? not very fiscally responsible. but, yeah, it is pretty stupid and petty of the petulant business owners.

but a good conservative may support this in principle, but are they going to eat someplace where they have to pay more? not very fiscally responsible. but, yeah, it is pretty stupid and petty of the petulant business owners.

Oh, they'll definitely support it. It's really sticking it to #obummer, dammit.

I see tschu is on a bash all conservatives parade today. Not everyone who may fit into being a conservative think exactly the same. B/c in that case I guess all Liberals are Obama apologists. Is this case somewhat attention whoring? Yes. But thats the point. They want to make a statement.

Btw, do you really think obamacare isnt costing small businesses a lot of extra money to provide health care to employees? Yes, healthcare and insurance has went up over the years but nothing compared to a one year difference like this. My insurance went up 40% in one year!!!!! Thats ridiculous. And i have to pay for maternity. Im not married and have nobody in my family that can get pregnant. Dont tell me thats not dumb.