Good news for us re: Obamacare/ACA

It's not dumb. If only people who were going to get pregnant paid for maternity, what would be the point of INSURANCE? It's cost-spreading.

Sorry that your insurance went up. Obamacare "losers" are not poor, they're usually young, and not sick. Must be rough. I'm not going to feel sorry for you.

I'm holding out hope that maybe Obamacare will make people want to go to single-payer. It's a misguided hope, but I gotta have hope for something here

(Guess what, the rich and healthy will still be subsidizing the poor and sick no matter what the system. But the rich and healthy get no sob stories from me.)

I work for a small business. Our employer insurance was already Obamacare-compliant and went up a whopping $8/month. If you have employer insurance and your employer raised your costs by a bunch, that means one of two things

A) Your prior insurance they offered you was really crappy

B) Your employer chose to raise the price of insurance for YOU even though the costs didn't go up an equivalent amount for THEM. The company then just pockets the difference to pad the bottom line. Businesses across the country are actually doing this, knowing that people will look to blame Obamacare rather than the company. It's disgusting.

If you have private insurance, then see my previous two posts.

I didnt ask you to feel sorry for me. I just stated a fact and like i figured you became an Obama apologist. Instead of admitting there are things wrong with the plan just blindly support it and say its okay for others to pay more so we can help other people. Apparently your insurance didnt go up.

Btw, i make ends meet and am FAR from rich. I am a small business owner, i am thank god healthy for now, but as i said, if im rich then i guess most people in the US are rich.

I also know some "losers" who are young, make average income, have sick family members and their insurance went up 40-50%. You can apologize all you want but Obamacare was not looked into enough before put into action and many people are being hurt by it. But b/c you arent i guess what do you care right?

I don't know what "Obama apologist" means and I don't really identify with either party, but the GOP is definitely the greater of two evils

I support Obamacare because it's far better than the old system. Obamacare inherently sucks because it's just patching up a broken system with duct tape. Some people are mad because their insurance went up, but often times these people haven't even gone onto the exchange and haven't seen if they qualify for subsidies. (See all of the Obamacare anecdote fact-checking articles out there) But it helps out poor people and those with preexisting conditions enormously, who are the ones going into bankruptcy, raising healthcare costs for everyone and costing taxpayers billions of dollars. (States like Nebraska choosing to not enact the Medicaid expansion is just a huge LOL and flips the bird to their struggling citizens who need that expansion. Still makes me angry.) And until we go to single-payer and remove employers and insurance companies entirely from the equation, this is the best that we're going to get.

I'm holding out hope that maybe Obamacare will make people want to go to single-payer. It's a misguided hope, but I gotta have hope for something here

(Guess what, the rich and healthy will still be subsidizing the poor and sick no matter what the system. But the rich and healthy get no sob stories from me.)

i think the best alternative is just we all go to the er for everything.

A lot of people think that they're "just getting by" because their household income is like 55k/yr and they really want to upgrade their 2005 Accord but just can't afford to do so right now, man we should probably cancel DVR service on the TV, the dishwasher is starting to sort of crap out, and gosh the kids' back-to-school shopping will sure be expensive. But that isn't a struggle. That's nothing. That's called having an above-average income, even in America. News flash. People who benefit from Obamacare currently have it waaaaaay way worse than you.

A lot of people think that they're "just getting by" because their household income is like 55k/yr and they really want to upgrade their 2005 Accord but just can't afford to do so right now, man we should probably cancel DVR service on the TV, the dishwasher is starting to sort of crap out, and gosh the kids' back-to-school shopping will sure be expensive. But that isn't a struggle. That's nothing. That's called having an above-average income, even in America. News flash. People who benefit from Obamacare currently have it waaaaaay way worse than you.

Oh that's right, I forgot you know me. You have all the answers as a VERY young adult I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

The Obamacare horror stories are too crazy to be true:

Cancer-Stricken 'Obamacare Victim'

"If I do not receive my medication, I will die," Boonstra says in the ad. "I feel lied to."

When journalists looked into her claim, Boonstra identified the new plan she chose on the Obamacare exchanges: a so-called "gold" plan from Blue Cross Blue Shield, per the Detroit News. Her old plan cost $1,100 per month, which adds up to $13,200 a year in premiums alone -- before co-pays, out-of-pocket costs and drug expenses. Her new plan costs $571 per month, which adds up to $6,852 per year. Her out-of-pocket costs are maxed at $5,100, which means a maximum cost of $11,952 per year. That means her new plan cannot cost her more for treatment than her new plan.

In other words, Boonstra would save at least $1,248 under Obamacare.

When the Detroit News told her this, Boonstra was in disbelief, saying it "can't be true."

"I personally do not believe that," she told the paper.

• Fire 3

When the Detroit News told her this, Boonstra was in disbelief, saying it "can't be true."

Those two comments sum up about 75% of the anger about the Affordable Care Act.

i know this is semantics, but what does it mean to personally not believe something? how else would you not believe something? by proxy?

Those two comments sum up about 75% of the anger about the Affordable Care Act.

Well, if this is what 75% of the anger has been like, then the people who were put out here to educate people about it over the last year have done a completely worthless crappy job. I have been to multiple seminars put on by both people in the insurance industry and people with the government explaining the program as to how it affects us as business people and our employees. I honestly don't know anyone who came out of those meetings not pissed off.

Now, if it ends up differently than what they explained in those seminars, then great....but, one heck of a lot of anger over it did not come from Fox News, the Tea Party or even Republicans but the people who were sent out here to get us as business people excited bout the program and educate us.

If it wasn't so frustrating it would have been laughable. Every time I would go to one, I would just sit back and watch and try to have an open mind. Someone would get up and give the presentation and then answer questions. They act all excited about it and talk about how great it is. People then would start asking questions. Every time, the speaker would end up (not so excitedly) agreeing with the negative questions about the program and how it would affect the people in the room.

Again, I am trying to have an open mind about it and have a "wait and see" attitude about it. It is what it is, everyone is in the same boat and either it is going to be successful or a disaster. I hope it is different than what they would present.