Gohlson No Longer at Notre Dame

Quite the shocker coming out of South Bend. Says they are not allowed to release the reasons but if he has been immeadiately kicked out and they don't release why, it must be pretty bad. This has to drastically hurt the chances for the Irish, especially since Keil just transferred out as well

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9312336/everett-golson-leaves-notre-dame-fighting-irish

You tellin me another great team has issues with doing something wrong? OMG!! (gasp).

Give me a frickin break. This is gettin ridiculous. It's obviously only a matter of time before the hammer falls on Bama. It's pretty obvious cheating and crookedry is what it takes to be at the top of college football right now. 10 wins the right way looks better and better with each one of these cases. It shows that to be at the top you have to recruit low character guys in a low character way in order to satisfy this ridiculous "win big and win now" demands of society.

You tellin me another great team has issues with doing something wrong? OMG!! (gasp).

Give me a frickin break. This is gettin ridiculous. It's obviously only a matter of time before the hammer falls on Bama. It's pretty obvious cheating and crookedry is what it takes to be at the top of college football right now. 10 wins the right way looks better and better with each one of these cases. It shows that to be at the top you have to recruit low character guys in a low character way in order to satisfy this ridiculous "win big and win now" demands of society.

So your saying Golson should sit out the first half vs Temple? :sarcasm

My post wasnt really a bash on anything exclusively towards Notre Dame. Just on the pattern of things in general. It just seems like there's so much pressure to win big and win now, that programs turn a blind eye on everything in regards to a young man just so long as he can run fast and/or hit hard. Now, I guess i do commend Notre Dame for kickin him off the team. That's a legit punishment, but, what lead to this situation to begin with? Did Kelly or the staff or the administration really have ZERO idea that this young man may have an issue or two that could even remotely lead to something like this? Or did they just see a potential all-american on the field.

I'm not concerned about this individual incident. Just an obvious pattern over the last decade relating to "elite" programs in what's supposed to be an extracurricular activity. I know there's no going back, but it's sad in a way that it's gotten to where it is, and probably only going to get worse as the dollar signs involved in the sport continue to get bigger and greener.

• Fire 1

My post wasnt really a bash on anything exclusively towards Notre Dame. Just on the pattern of things in general. It just seems like there's so much pressure to win big and win now, that programs turn a blind eye on everything in regards to a young man just so long as he can run fast and/or hit hard. Now, I guess i do commend Notre Dame for kickin him off the team. That's a legit punishment, but, what lead to this situation to begin with? Did Kelly or the staff or the administration really have ZERO idea that this young man may have an issue or two that could even remotely lead to something like this? Or did they just see a potential all-american on the field.

I'm not concerned about this individual incident. Just an obvious pattern over the last decade relating to "elite" programs in what's supposed to be an extracurricular activity. I know there's no going back, but it's sad in a way that it's gotten to where it is, and probably only going to get worse as the dollar signs involved in the sport continue to get bigger and greener.

BK or even Savvy Jack had zero say in this. Our "Residential Life" people handle misbehavior and they can expel a kid without needing the approval of the football team. Over the years they've acted like jealous spazzes over any perceived preferential treatment to athletes;

i.e. player came home drunk and went to bed, the dorm staff woke him up, checked his breath, and reported him to Res Life who suspended him. :confucius Supposedly at the end of the Weis era they had a leadership change and backed off a bit. We should thank Urban Meyer for all of his negative recruiting that led to ResLife reform.

But I agree with ResLife that cheating is not a minor offense and everyone athlete or not should be held to the same standard. On the recruiting of athletes who might not be academically ready, it's a never-ending situation (Also going on with Vanderhoes right now, allegedly). Players can get a lot of help with tutoring, review, and some basic remedial classes. The question is whether they are willing to give the same honest effort to classwork as on the field.

I imagine NU has basically the same situation. Surely the professors have control over who gets to be academically eligible and Osborne couldn't just overrule them.

BK or even Savvy Jack had zero say in this. Our "Residential Life" people handle misbehavior and they can expel a kid without needing the approval of the football team. Over the years they've acted like jealous spazzes over any perceived preferential treatment to athletes;

i.e. player came home drunk and went to bed, the dorm staff woke him up, checked his breath, and reported him to Res Life who suspended him. :confucius Supposedly at the end of the Weis era they had a leadership change and backed off a bit. We should thank Urban Meyer for all of his negative recruiting that led to ResLife reform.

But I agree with ResLife that cheating is not a minor offense and everyone athlete or not should be held to the same standard. On the recruiting of athletes who might not be academically ready, it's a never-ending situation (Also going on with Vanderhoes right now, allegedly). Players can get a lot of help with tutoring, review, and some basic remedial classes. The question is whether they are willing to give the same honest effort to classwork as on the field.

I imagine NU has basically the same situation. Surely the professors have control over who gets to be academically eligible and Osborne couldn't just overrule them.

Thanks for insight Joe. Like I said, it's just another cog in overall situation of college football, and is far from a Notre Dame one to me. Seems there's always so much negative news.

I could be a nutso too.