Big motivation to not finish 5th, 6th or 7th in the B1G

huKSer

When is the BigTen going to realize that NYC and most of New Endland doesn't give a flying rats azz about college sports?

If networks are going to fork over big time dough because we have footprints in the area, I really dont think Delaney gives a flying rats azz that they dont give a flying rats azz. Because that's all that this is about.

When is the BigTen going to realize that NYC and most of New Endland doesn't give a flying rats azz about college sports?

If networks are going to fork over big time dough because we have footprints in the area, I really dont think Delaney gives a flying rats azz that they dont give a flying rats azz. Because that's all that this is about.

That part of the mid-Atlantic is crazy over college basketball. But football? Not so much.

The Tri-State area is a big place packed with people. don't confuse the popularity of pro sports with the lack of popularity of college sports.

There are more pro fans true but there are plenty of college fans.

There is a reason they used to have the Kickoff classic in the Meadowlands every year.

there is a reason why the Big East tourney was always sold out.

That part of the mid-Atlantic is crazy over college basketball. But football? Not so much.

That's not the point though. If we have a footprint in that area, and networks are going to pay bigger money for rights because of said footprint, does it make any difference whatsoever what the people in said footprint are going to watch or care about? Nope. We got the contract and the green. That's all the matters. Hence, we dont need to realize them folks out there dont give a darn about college sports, as long as big network money thinks they care just enough to award the conference with big green, that's all that matters.

That's not the point though. If we have a footprint in that area, and networks are going to pay bigger money for rights because of said footprint, does it make any difference whatsoever what the people in said footprint are going to watch or care about? Nope. We got the contract and the green. That's all the matters. Hence, we dont need to realize them folks out there dont give a darn about college sports, as long as big network money thinks they care just enough to award the conference with big green, that's all that matters.

True. I was answering BigRedBuster's comment. Just didn't want to skip over your post. Jerk.

I keeeed, I keeeed. Just kidding. :lol:

True. I was answering BigRedBuster's comment. Just didn't want to skip over your post. Jerk.

I keeeed, I keeeed. Just kidding. :lol:

We're dun, me and you.

Another possible aspect:

From a long term perspective, Delaney is probably hoping to see resurgence from the new additions. With all the Big Ten Network cash, it could happen quickly. Fan growth will be a bit slower, but I see this as a 10-20 year project to create more fans in that area. Also, the states in the northeast have huge numbers of alumni from the Big Ten.

And of course, the money is the main point. Even if the growth in popularity never materializes, it doesn't matter. There are probably already enough CFB fans in those areas to get the network on most big cable companies.

I am in Florida. Tampa. When NU moved to the Big Ten, all of the local cable companies either already had it on the basic packages or moved to do so shortly after. The Big Ten Network was why I switched, at the time, to another company. Within a couple months, and before the season, all local companies had it on the basic package. There are a lot of Big Ten fans in Florida, too, and I was thrilled and surprised at just how many, once I started looking into it.

It's kind of mind boggling to think that NYC doesn't have a domed stadium. NFL, college football, bowl games, final fours, concerts, political conventions, etc. You would think it would get used like crazy. A bowl game in NYC in the winter would be a lot more tolerable for fans if the actual game was indoors.