NU 9th-4.76-18

OU 12th-5.15-11

Rush ranking-Yd/rush-rush td

NU 90-5.93-26

OU 89-6.38-27

Games-PPG allowed

NU 14-27.57

OU 13-25.46

Games allowed more than 30 pts (I believe if you give up more than 30 points, your defense has been picked apart)

NU 3

OU 5

The biggest difference here is pass td allowed. (18-11) Our occasional breakdown of the deep ball is the difference here. The deep ball is where the lack of pass rush and poor safety play hurts us. Also on longer routes, a press at the line wont disrupt the play as much as something like a slant route where timing is EVERYTHING. Were ranked 9 in pass eff. The top 8 teams allowed an avg of 9.5 td all year. Were double that at 18.

Dang. And in another thread apparently I don't know anything!!!! :)

Good breakdown and I appreciate the research.

Funny, didn't people scream that Mike Stoops would have been a superior hire to JP??????

Interesting thing about this is our HC's history with the Stoops and OU.

Coming to this conversation a bit late, but having a good pass defense and having a good secondary are two different things. We had a good pass defense last year. Not a good secondary. Good secondaries have players who can tackle in the open field. We were below average.

Youre right. Hence the thread title "Pass defense". Or just move along.

Fielding a faster group of LB's should help our pass defense this year, may not be as fast as the rb's they're assigned to cover but at least it will be close. The CCG drove home just how lacking our speed at LB was. Think Zaire would've made a difference last year if not for the ACL.