2012 Pass Defense

Sometimes hindsight is 20/20, sometimes it turns into revisionist history. I am of the opinion that a few bad performances unjustifiably changed the perception of just how "awful" our defense was.

I've heard a lot of arguments about why our pass defense was ranked so high (we were #1 nationally in pass efficiency defense and pass completion percentage defense before the Georgia game, and finished at #9 and #1 respectively).

The biggest and quickest argument is that teams were so good at running against us that they didn't have to pass it, therefore their numbers weren't good. Two problems with this. First, we aren't measuring volume; we're measuring efficiency. Even if a team passed 10 times against us compared to 25 as their average, they completed a much lower percentage of those 10 passes and were much less efficient doing so (which actually would go contrary to the idea that it was because of our porous run defense, which would assume that we were always expecting run, thus opening up the passing game for greater success. Number two, it's just not true. Below are the passing numbers of most all of the teams we faced (I took the numbers of the quarterback that played most or all of the game), compared to their averages per game on the season.

UCLA

Vs. Nebraska - 21/33 (63.7%) for 305 yards, 4 TD, 0 INT ----- Season Average - 23/34 (66.6%) for 267.5 yards, 2 TD, .78 INT - Threw an average amount of times at an average completion percentage

Arkansas State

Vs. Nebraska - 16/30 (53.3%) for 138 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT ----- Season Average - 21/31 (67.7%) for 257 yards, 1.8 TD, .3 INT - Well below season averages across the board, but threw for same number of attempts

Wisconsin

Vs. Nebraska - 12/23 (52.1%) for 214 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT ----- Season Average - 12/20 (58.8%) for 184 yards, 1 TD, .5 INT - Pretty average stuff here, right on par with his season numbers (Stave)

Ohio State

Vs. Nebraska - 7/14 (50%) for 127 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT ----- Season Average - 12/21 (58.3%) for 170 yards, 1.25 TD, .5 INT - These numbers are closer than I thought, although this game is one that is actually telling as to their success on the ground.

Northwestern

Vs. Nebraska - 16/37 (43.2%) for 121 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT ----- Season Average - 17/28 (63.3%) for 168 yards, 1 TD, .5 INT - Notably higher number of attempts with notably lower success

Michigan State

Vs. Nebraska - 9/27 (33.3%) for 123 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT ----- Season Average - 18/34 (52.5%) for 200 yards, 1 TD, .7 INT - Threw it a little less, but significant drop-off in efficiency

Penn State

Vs. Nebraska - 18/37 (48.6%) for 240 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT ----- Season Average - 22.5/37 (60.5%) for 272.5 yards, 2 TD, .4 INT - Threw the same amount of times, far less production. This being a quarterback that signed a three year deal with the Raiders. Us and Wisconsin the only two teams to hold him under 50% on the year.

Minnesota

Vs. Nebraska - 8/23 (34.7%) for 59 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT ----- Season Average - 11/21 (49.3%) for 125 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT - Same song different verse. Threw for more attempts than average.

Iowa

Vs. Nebraska - 11/24 (45.8%) for 82 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT ----- Season Average - 17/32 (57.3%) for 187 yards, .6 TD, .7 INT - Threw less times but keep in mind the 25 mph winds.

So, you tell me if our pass defense was actually good or not, and if they actually "benefitted" from our run defense being so bad that teams didn't have to pass. The numbers seem pretty clear to me.

• Fire 6

They did very well in those 9 games. What was the efficiency of the other 5?

Well Southern Miss, Idaho State and Michigan they actually did quite well. But two of those teams used multiple quarterbacks and the third was FCS. We all know how the Wisconsin game went, and Aaron Murray torched us with yards and touchdowns while throwing 10 percentage points lower than average and six more passing attempts than average.

I would like to know how a pass defense "benefits" from a poor run defense as it is at times perceived. Wouldnt a poor run defense within the front 4-7 make it a hell of a lot stressful and more difficult for the secondary?

Awesome data by the way Lanlord. +1

I have to agree with the bold, When you have a poor run defense, the secondary is forced to come up and make more plays against the run, which in turn means that they are having to worry about the run more and they cant focus as much in stopping the pass

You have to take in account that our secondary had to be responsible for stopping the run. Something Nebraska has never had to do in previous seasons under Bo, let alone ever. Had these CB's been able to do their job 100%, without having extra duties in the rush coverage game, we would see even a bigger drop in completions and more INT's.

Idaho state, they didn't have any running game, and going into that game, we knew 9/10 plays they would be passing. I believe the coach stated that he wasn't going to be scared to throw it 70 times in that game.

As for Georgia and Murray, that guy just threw some pass that couldn't be defended. Nothing the defense could really do, some passes were that perfect. Then he got that RB that got matched up with Compton, took advantage of it. The one that went for 70+ yards down the middle, that some fans still blame the defense for, is and was Bo's fault. We should have never blitzed on that play. Papuchis didn't even think it was a good idea. That play alone, I blame on Bo's calling, and he took responsibility for that too if I remember correctly.

You have to take in account that our secondary had to be responsible for stopping the run. Something Nebraska has never had to do in previous seasons under Bo, let alone ever. Had these CB's been able to do their job 100%, without having extra duties in the rush coverage game, we would see even a bigger drop in completions and more INT's.

Idaho state, they didn't have any running game, and going into that game, we knew 9/10 plays they would be passing. I believe the coach stated that he wasn't going to be scared to throw it 70 times in that game.

As for Georgia and Murray, that guy just threw some pass that couldn't be defended. Nothing the defense could really do, the pass was that perfect. Then he got that RB that got matched up with Compton, took advantage of it. The one that went for 70+ yards down the middle, that fans still blame the defense for, is and was Bo's fault. We should have never blitzed on that play. Papuchis didn't even think it was a good idea. That play alone, I blame on Bo's calling, and he took responsibility for that too if I remember correctly.

Bo admitted in the post game that that blitz was a mistake. He also said he was at the point where he was trying to force the issue and possible get a turnover in an obvious pass situation.

Bo admitted in the post game that that blitz was a mistake. He also said he was at the point where he was trying to force the issue and possible get a turnover in an obvious pass situation.

That's what I thought. Had we have had Stein in that game, or someone who could get a good push, it would have been a great idea, but as we all know, that isn't even close to what happened.

I've been watching a lot of the games from last year and the thing that keeps sticking out with this secondary is the missed opportunities to get interceptions. There was so many times we had almost perfect coverage but wouldn't turn and look for the ball. We often would get called for PI because our db's were fighting with the receiver instead of turning and looking for the ball. They also need to work on timing their jump. SJB would be an All-American if he could figure out how to play the ball.

I think Bo has always had great pass defenses. Don't the numbers show this? We've been top 20 in pass efficiency each of the past 5 years right?

If you remember why we were so good in 09' when we had Suh, Amukamara, Dennard, Haag, O'Hanlon, etc. it was because our D-Line did a great job containing the run and keeping the quarterback in the pocket. I think it made the job of the DB's so much easier because the backfield didn't have to play the run much at all. It freed them up to look for balls in the air and grab them. Plus the QB's had a hard time throwing accurate throws with our Line breathing down his neck.

I've said this before, but since Suh and Crick... the DT's we've brought in have been fat guys, not muscly guys. I think that's why you see the coaches going after alot of heavier DE's that can grow into DT's or underweight DT's this year. V Valentine is about 30lbs over weight. Jay Guy is overweight and has too much fat over his muscle. Curry same thing as Guy etc. I just feel like the biggest problems with our defense all have to do with the line. Both Tackles and Ends. We keep getting these okay players but we need a couple Dominant players. It's just these guys are few and far between... hard to come by.

Don't know why, but having a top-ranked passing efficiency defense doesn't make me feel any better about our overall defensive performance.

Teams just don't seem to fear Nebraska anymore. Good teams seemed to feast on us. And good quarterbacks didn't let our passing efficiency rankings stop them.

When you have the #90 rushing defense and play in a conference of mediocre passers, it's hard to tell how good the Husker secondary really is.

Leaving Wisconsin Part II and the South Carolina game off this list may help the argument, but those are the two losses that unfortunately defined the season.

Don't know why, but having a top-ranked passing efficiency defense doesn't make me feel any better about our overall defensive performance.

Teams just don't seem to fear Nebraska anymore. Good teams seemed to feast on us. And good quarterbacks didn't let our passing efficiency rankings stop them.

When you have the #90 rushing defense and play in a conference of mediocre passers, it's hard to tell how good the Husker secondary really is.

Leaving Wisconsin Part II and the South Carolina game off this list may help the argument, but those are the two losses that unfortunately defined the season.

tumblr_lpf6lvEExc1qejkb4.gif

Thats why Hundley (UCLA) and Aplin (ASU) pulled off above average numbers on us.

Arkansas State

Vs. Nebraska - 16/30 (53.3%) for 138 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT ----- Season Average - 21/31 (67.7%) for 257 yards, 1.8 TD, .3 INT - Well below season averages across the board, but threw for same number of attempts

:confucius :confucius

:confucius

:confucius

• Fire 1