NCAA implements the "Kenny Bell" rule...

The defenseless player definitions are included in the NCAA rule book under section 2-27-14. However, a rule change has been implemented this season to include the following amongst the "defenseless player" definitions:

2-27-14g - "a player who receives a blind-side block".

Here's the Kenny Bell hit again, as I know that Nebraska fans can't get enough of it while it makes Wisconsin fans cringe (our only revenge for that game):

cornwham.0_standard_500.0.gif

You can't watch that play and not conclude that the NCAA didn't change their rule just because of that big hit.

http://www.cornnatio...sin-defenseless

Bernard Pollard was right. Football as we know it won't even exist in 20-30 years.

Bernard Pollard believes the end is near for the NFL.

The hard-hitting Baltimore Ravens safety has watched professional football evolve with bigger, faster players and vows the violent nature of the sport cannot be tempered by continual rule changes. He believes the equation doesn't work.

"I just truly believe, another 20, 30 years -- I don't even think football will even be in existence anymore," Pollard told KILT-AM in Houston, via CBSSports.com. "... We all know what this game is about. We know and understand that it's a violent sport."

"If somebody is going to get a knockout shot, OK, at some point somebody is going to get hit anyway," Pollard said. "If you end up getting knocked out because you're trying to get a knockout shot, it's either kill or be killed. Which one are you going to do? This is football. It's not powder puff.

• Fire 1

I guess Kenny could have still made a legitimate and effective block without lighting the guy up, but then it would basketball, not football. What a bunch of politically correct pussies. All because a few guys bumped their heads and went nuts over something they chose to do to begin with.

Bernard Pollard was right. Football as we know it won't even exist in 20-30 years.

The hard-hitting Baltimore Ravens safety has watched professional football evolve with bigger, faster players and vows the violent nature of the sport cannot be tempered by continual rule changes. He believes the equation doesn't work.

"I just truly believe, another 20, 30 years -- I don't even think football will even be in existence anymore," Pollard told KILT-AM in Houston, via CBSSports.com. "... We all know what this game is about. We know and understand that it's a violent sport."

"If somebody is going to get a knockout shot, OK, at some point somebody is going to get hit anyway," Pollard said. "If you end up getting knocked out because you're trying to get a knockout shot, it's either kill or be killed. Which one are you going to do? This is football. It's not powder puff.

Mr. Pollard was exaggerating, surely he wouldn't believe that statement to be true. With the money involved, and the popularity of the sport, there is no way football doesn't exist in 20-30, or even 100 years....

Mr. Pollard was exaggerating, surely he wouldn't believe that statement to be true. With the money involved, and the popularity of the sport, there is no way football doesn't exist in 20-30, or even 100 years....

But if the sport continues to water itself down and takes away the aspects that made it what it is today in terms of popularity, will that popularity and money continue to sustain itself? Basically what we're headed for is glorified lacrosse. Probably not even that physical.

But if the sport continues to water itself down and takes away the aspects that made it what it is today in terms of popularity, will that popularity and money continue to sustain itself? Basically what we're headed for is glorified lacrosse. Probably not even that physical.

So far, it's become more popular.

So far, it's become more popular.

Maybe so, but everything has a breaking point.

And I'm not saying the popularity is already dropping Dude. Just speculatively agreeing with Pollard in a way that if the sport continues down this path, it could lose it all, because it's simple fact that theyre slowly eliminating the aspects that made the sport popular and unique to begin with. Whether or not they should, that's for a whole 'nother discusion, which I'm truly on the fence about anyway.

Now you're exaggerating.... I'm not a fan of all the rule changes either, but they haven't been so dramatic that we don't recognize what sport we're watching when we turn on the the television.... If players adapt (which they will) the game should be fine in my opinion.... And right now the sport is more popular than ever....

Now you're exaggerating.... I'm not a fan of all the rule changes either, but they haven't been so dramatic that we don't recognize what sport we're watching when we turn on the the television.... If players adapt (which they will) the game should be fine in my opinion.... And right now the sport is more popular than ever....

it's a slipper slope though. They eliminate one thing. then another. It started with the head. Now it's already evolved into "you cant block a guy if he's not looking" and "running backs cant lower their head (which I guarantee you will be interpretted as shoulder before you know it)". It's definitely on a slippery slope right now and who knows where it stops.

Accountability,

In a sport where we always hear "it's about the money" how far do you think the rule makers will let it go? Is the NFL going to go so far to shut their own brand down?..... The answer to that question is No....

Obviously not purposely. But these things kinds of things dont exactly have over night effects. Is it possible they wake up 10 years from now with drastically dropping attendance and ratings and say "oh sh#t, what'd we do?". I think it is possible. The snowball is small right now, but....

Accountability,

In a sport where we always hear "it's about the money" how far do you think the rule makers will let it go? Is the NFL going to go so far to shut their own brand down?..... The answer to that question is No....

Obviously not purposely. But these things kinds of things dont exactly have over night effects. Is it possible they wake up 10 years from now with drastically dropping attendance and ratings and say "oh sh#t, what'd we do?". I think it is possible. The snowball is small right now, but....

I certainly understand what you're saying. Let's hope you're wrong!

Maybe I don't understand the proper definition of "blind-side." Kenny Bell's block was a perfect shoulder square to the chest; it just so happened that the recipient was built like a flourescent light bulb. Was the fact that Glass Joe's head was turned the only thing that made it a blind-side hit?

If so, does this rule imply that you can't be blocked unless you are actually looking at the guy who is coming to get you?

• Fire 6