NSA leaker Edward Snowden: Hero or Traitor?

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What has Snowden done that's irresponsible with this information?

You didn't say somebody had to do something irresponsible with it. You just said someone irresponsible. Who knows what he has done with the information he took. Maybe China bled him dry or some other country. If he would have stayed in the US, on the other hand, we might know.

Let's see.

Copy highly secret information onto lap tops and run off to countries that would do pretty much anything to get their hands on that information. I'm actually surprised he is still alive and in custody of those laptops.

You didn't say somebody had to do something irresponsible with it. You just said someone irresponsible. Who knows what he has done with the information he took. Maybe China bled him dry or some other country. If he would have stayed in the US, on the other hand, we might know.

Maybe our government is selling information to China in exchange for favorable trade treaties. Turning this back around on Snowden ignores the larger problem.

Let's see.

Copy highly secret information onto lap tops and run off to countries that would do pretty much anything to get their hands on that information. I'm actually surprised he is still alive and in custody of those laptops.

Snowden's guilt is a molehill next to the mountain of guilt our government has perpetrated. Both are in violation of the law. The greater wrong is that of the government, not Snowden.

Let's see.

Snowden's guilt is a molehill next to the mountain of guilt our government has perpetrated. Both are in violation of the law. The greater wrong is that of the government, not Snowden.

2 wrongs don't make a right. The thread question was asked what we thought of Snowden and HIS actions. Not how to justify them based on what the government is doing too.

Let's see.

I'm not arguing that point. My point is, even though the government was doing something wrong, he has in turn done something very irresponsible with the information he stole from the government.

I agree the government shouldn't have been doing that. But, since they did, they have information that could be extremely helpful to people that don't like us. He then takes that information to the countries that don't like us. That is just plain idiotic and irresponsible.

• Fire 1

I'm not arguing that point. My point is, even though the government was doing something wrong, he has in turn done something very irresponsible with the information he stole from the government.

I agree the government shouldn't have been doing that. But, since they did, they have information that could be extremely helpful to people that don't like us. He then takes that information to the countries that don't like us. That is just plain idiotic and irresponsible.

What, specifically, did he do?

I think I am a little behind here. What information did he uncover? That we had an ongoing operation where calls are being screened to see who is calling who and from where? Were there wire-taps?

I'm OK with this type of surveillance (monitoring, not wire-taps). I'm not OK with disseminating it to China, Russia, etc. in exchange for refuge.

• Fire 1

So if you found evidence of a massive illegal government operation spying on its own citizens, and you could only expose it by breaking the law, you wouldn't expose it?

We're different, that's all I can say.

Sure I would. But I wouldn't run to China and Russia with the information under my arm either.

This is the crazy thing about this situation. The government wants us to ignore the fact that they have, on a broad scale, violated constitutional rights of every citizen using electronic devices. Instead, they want us to focus on the guy who broke the news that this is going on. It's the "something shiny" to distract us from the real problem here.

I'm on board with everyone that Snowden broke the law. I wish he would have stayed and gone on trial. His country-hopping tour is concerning. But that is a pebble next to the mountain of the NSA surveillance going on.

Astounding. Truly.

So if you found evidence of a massive illegal government operation spying on its own citizens, and you could only expose it by breaking the law, you wouldn't expose it?

We're different, that's all I can say.

Sure I would. But I wouldn't run to China and Russia with the information under my arm either.

What information did Snowden give Russia and China?