NSA leaker Edward Snowden: Hero or Traitor?

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Snowden: Leak of NSA spy programs "marks my end"

www.cbsnews.com, CBS/AP/ June 10, 2013, 10:18 AM

WASHINGTON The computer technician who passed classified documents to reporters about two sweeping U.S. surveillance programs has revealed his identity and motives, risking decades in jail -- if the U.S. can extradite him from Hong Kong, where he is said to have taken refuge.

Edward Snowden, 29, who told The Guardian and The Washington Post he had worked as a contractor at the National Security Agency and and as an employee of the CIA, allowed the newspapers to reveal his identity Sunday.

Last week both papers had published a series of top-secret documents outlining two NSA surveillance programs. One gathers hundreds of millions of U.S. phone records while searching for possible links to known terrorist targets abroad; the second allows the government to tap into nine U.S. Internet companies to gather all domestic Internet usage to detect suspicious behavior that begins overseas.

Snowden said he instigated one of the biggest government leaks in U.S. history to inform the public of what he called "the greatest danger to our freedom and way of life."

LINK

I'm nearly on the fence as to whether Snowden is a hero or a traitor. On the one hand, what he did is clearly wrong inasmuch as it broke the law. And he betrayed his employer. But OTOH, he didn't hurt anyone. And it's not likely he could've gotten results going through official channels.

I'm leaning towards hero, rather than traitor.

A couple articles on the topic:

"Edward Snowden's explosive NSA leaks have US in damage control mode" The Guardian. LINK

"Private Spy Agency Booz Allen Hurting Following Snowden Leaks" Gawker. LINK

"Snowden’s Leaks on China Could Affect Its Role in His Fate" NY Times. LINK

It all depends on the outcome. If the info he leaked is indeed a Constitutional violation by the government then he's a hero. To stand up for your country and try to correct a grievous error that is in violation of the law is all well and good.

But, if he continues to spew info to the ChiCom's or whom ever, then NO he's a traitor.

While I can certainly understand his position and what he did, I think in order to be labeled either of these terms, you need to stand up in person to whom you are going up against. Hero or traitor is debatable depending on how you felt about the original topic of the phone record surveillance.

Our founding fathers stood in this country and faced certain death due to treason against Great Britain for signing the Declaration of Independence. They didn't do it from China. So for right now, in my mind, he is a coward.

I'm not certain of his motives, but he sure did give up a lot. Lost his high paying job in Hawaii. Lost his hot live-in girlfriend. Lost his freedom, for the most part. Snowden lost basically everything.

But for all that he lost, Snowden really gave a black eye to the folks at the NSA doing the illegal wiretapping. Which is good. I guess.

While I can certainly understand his position and what he did, I think in order to be labeled either of these terms, you need to stand up in person to whom you are going up against. Hero or traitor is debatable depending on how you felt about the original topic of the phone record surveillance.

Our founding fathers stood in this country and faced certain death due to treason against Great Britain for signing the Declaration of Independence. They didn't do it from China. So for right now, in my mind, he is a coward.

That's pretty easy to say sitting in your chair.

You're saying that if you were in his shoes, you'd still be in America, waiting for trial? And that if you had the chance to go somewhere and avoid a certain conviction, you wouldn't?

I'd say neither. He's not a traitor, because people should know about this domestic spying. But he's no noble hero either. From the interviews I've seen, I'd guess he's another computer guy with an inflated opinion of himself (I can hack the president's email, if I want too!!), who seems to be enjoying his new celebrity.

My cousin is a photojournalist in DC and I asked him about this situation. He said that things are a bit crazy around there after this had been released. he told me that he is constantly getting checked by NSA over the photos and stories he is involved with. He got his camera taken away from him by the NSA cause it had a picture of a Federal Building in it, they gave it back after it was gone through. It was kinda funny, when they were in the process of going thru his camera and other things, he filmed them with his phone. He said they didn't even notice.

That's pretty easy to say sitting in your chair.

You're saying that if you were in his shoes, you'd still be in America, waiting for trial? And that if you had the chance to go somewhere and avoid a certain conviction, you wouldn't?

Running to avoid conviction is cowardly. I don't see the difference in the crimes committed.