Search Restrictions

We can give it a try. Years ago, we removed the time limit. The board started crashing with great regularity - search was one of the reasons. Between normal member use and bots, it couldn't handle the load. So, we kept increasing it and through trial and error arrived at this setting. I know it's a pain, but we'll give it a go. If we don't run into problems, we'll leave it at 10 seconds. But if problems return, we will have to restore it to 20 seconds.

The reason for the delay between searches is because those queries against a massive database can consume a lot of resources -- not necessarily intentionally, but it leaves it open to some abuse. This is why guests can't (or shouldn't -- I haven't checked :P) perform searches. I do think giving the lower number a try is a good way to go though, so we can see if there are issues.

I don't know how hard it would be to code, but two or three free searches before introducing a time delay would be optimal. It seems like whenever I do one search I end up doing a couple to get the results I want. But generally not more than three or four.

• 5 months later...

NUance, what are you searching for?

One simple thing that seems to screw up searches is a space at the back of the search term. For example, I frequently search user names to put the accurate name in the Starting Lineup polls. Someone nominated jsneb83 but wrote his name as "jsne." Without a period at the end of their sentence, the board software defaults a space at the end of a blank sentence, so when I did a copypasta to get the correct spelling (and capitalization, number, whatever) it originally kicked back a "Your search produced no results." I had to delete the space after "jsne " before it would work.

NUance, what are you searching for?

One simple thing that seems to screw up searches is a space at the back of the search term. For example, I frequently search user names to put the accurate name in the Starting Lineup polls. Someone nominated jsneb83 but wrote his name as "jsne." Without a period at the end of their sentence, the board software defaults a space at the end of a blank sentence, so when I did a copypasta to get the correct spelling (and capitalization, number, whatever) it originally kicked back a "Your search produced no results." I had to delete the space after "jsne " before it would work.

Seems to work now. Probably user error. Either an errant space at the end or maybe I didn't make a post and instead was thinking of a status update. I was searching for a post (status update) I made on Marvin Sanders. No matter. I see we hired someone already.

Seems to work now. Probably user error. Either an errant space at the end or maybe I didn't make a post and instead was thinking of a status update. I was searching for a post (status update) I made on Marvin Sanders. No matter. I see we hired someone already.

Paphers you cna't slepl as wlel as you tnihk you can?