You might be a Husker homer - No Coast Bias

There seems to be a perception that there is no middle ground. I acknowledge that the yards and points given up in some of our losses over the past couple years are abysmal, and that they are embarrassing for a program which has prided itself on the defensive side of the ball. But I don't fixate upon the losses, nor do I fixate upon the fact that Nebraska has won at least 9 games every year under Bo. I fixate on how the wins and losses came about.

Every loss in a season has its reason. The other team was better, we got outplayed, we got out-coached. In 0 of our losses last year did I feel we were out-coached, which means that we didn't have the athletes on the field to make the defense work. Should Bo adjust the defense every year? No. He should recruit the athletes necessary to make his scheme work. And I think he's done that the past two years.

So just blindly looking at stats and saying, "this is how they need to be evaluated" ignores a whole lot of important information; most importantly, how the stats came into existence.

• Fire 2

The guy has points, but he beats the same "facts only count if they are negative, otherwise you're making excuses" drum.

I think that was sort of the point . . . wasn't it? He seemed to be aping the "facts only count if they're positive" folks.

How? There's fans who think pointing out reasons why X happened is simply excuse making. What would be the inverse of that?

I don't know what you're trying to say. Could you try to rephrase it?

There seems to be a perception that there is no middle ground. I acknowledge that the yards and points given up in some of our losses over the past couple years are abysmal, and that they are embarrassing for a program which has prided itself on the defensive side of the ball. But I don't fixate upon the losses, nor do I fixate upon the fact that Nebraska has won at least 9 games every year under Bo. I fixate on how the wins and losses came about.

Every loss in a season has its reason. The other team was better, we got outplayed, we got out-coached. In 0 of our losses last year did I feel we were out-coached, which means that we didn't have the athletes on the field to make the defense work. Should Bo adjust the defense every year? No. He should recruit the athletes necessary to make his scheme work. And I think he's done that the past two years.

So just blindly looking at stats and saying, "this is how they need to be evaluated" ignores a whole lot of important information; most importantly, how the stats came into existence.

I agree that there is a middle ground. That's where I am too at the moment.

Bo is too good to fire . . . but I have serious doubts that he can get over the hump.

We'll see. Maybe this is the year. :dunno

August 31st can’t come soon enough. The haters are out in full force and they are knocking over all the Kool-Aid and blocking all the sunshine. We true fans need to unite. How do you know if you’re a “true” fan? Well, let me tell ya…

http://nocoastbias.c...-if-13-edition/

I am walking on sunshine.......................................Yeah

Katrina and The Waves. Looking back post 2005, not the greatest name...

I agree that there is a middle ground. That's where I am too at the moment.

Bo is too good to fire . . . but I have serious doubts that he can get over the hump.

We'll see. Maybe this is the year. :dunno

What really matters the most isn't what Bo has done, but how/why Bo has done what he has done. Why has he only won at least 9 games but no more than 10 games every year? Why did his defense go from being lights out to nowhere to be found in a matter of 1 season? Why did his offense do the exact same thing, but in reverse? If you can answer those questions, then you can look toward what we have incoming and ask yourself if their talent will be good enough to fix the problem. Will the added athleticism make our defense great again?

If you can answer those questions, then you can look toward what we have incoming and ask yourself if their talent will be good enough to fix the problem. Will the added athleticism make our defense great again?

Eh. Our recruiting (by ranking) is basically equivalent to our on-field results. The recruiting numbers (I know. I know.) say that we're a lower to borderline top 25 team. The on-field results basically say that we're a lower to borderline top 25 team.

Now if we had pulled in a top 10 (or top 5!) class and still had the same coaches then I would be singing a different tune. Absent that I can't see how anyone can expect anything too different from what we've seen the last 4-5 years.

If you can answer those questions, then you can look toward what we have incoming and ask yourself if their talent will be good enough to fix the problem. Will the added athleticism make our defense great again?

Eh. Our recruiting (by ranking) is basically equivalent to our on-field results. The recruiting numbers (I know. I know.) say that we're a lower to borderline top 25 team. The on-field results basically say that we're a lower to borderline top 25 team.

Now if we had pulled in a top 10 (or top 5!) class and still had the same coaches then I would be singing a different tune. Absent that I can't see how anyone can expect anything too different from what we've seen the last 4-5 years.

I think you know about the weakness of that argument, so I won't bother going into detail. ;)